Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Is Karvachauth wrong?

shweta2728 IF-Dazzler
shweta2728
shweta2728

Posted: 25 October 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged
Karvachauth is a Hindu festival celebrated by married women for their husband's long life. They are required to spend a whole day without food and water and break their fast when they see the moon. I'm sure many of you do know what it is since it's a very popular squence/track in Indian daily soaps.

So my question is, do you think Karvachauth is right? Do you believe that men should do something in return or fast? Should there even be fasting and Karvachauth? I've heard from people that even when women are pregnant and their due dates are coming close, they still keep the fast. Which is very harmful to the child as well as the mother. Should a woman be allowed to do that? Obviously the decision is entirely up to the woman. What does Karvachauth say about Indian society? Does it symbolize that women should give up something? Should they have to prove their love by fasting? It has been done for...well...I guess forever...many people might not agree with the concept of Karvachauth but still do it because its a tradition.

What are your thoughts about Karvachauth? Please share! Big smile

Edited by shweta2728 - 25 October 2013 at 7:57pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

apoorvaarnavTacker_Holic..Zainab..

return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 26 October 2013 at 9:22am | IP Logged
I don't think it is wrong. But I do find it unfair on many levels. I don't like the idea of only women keeping fasts for their husband's long life. I'd rather have something that is shared by both people in a relationship equitable. I feel women sometimes are obligated to follow such rituals However, If women do keep fasts out of their own joy and volition, that is their personal choice which should be respected.

That being said under no circumstances is it OK for a pregnant or ill person to keep such fasts. There have to be exceptions for special situations.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

adevLinnet-Inferno-shweta2728RehanismU-No-Poo

shweta2728 IF-Dazzler
shweta2728
shweta2728

Posted: 26 October 2013 at 11:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

I don't think it is wrong. But I do find it unfair on many levels. I don't like the idea of only women keeping fasts for their husband's long life. I'd rather have something that is shared by both people in a relationship equitable. I feel women sometimes are obligated to follow such rituals However, If women do keep fasts out of their own joy and volition, that is their personal choice which should be respected.

That being said under no circumstances is it OK for a pregnant or ill person to keep such fasts. There have to be exceptions for special situations.

Yes I totally agree with you! That it should be something which is shared between two couples. Where it shows a sense of equality. But I've heard a blessing "Sadha Suhaagan Raho" which means "Shall you be married forever" it actually means that your husband should outlive you. So not much equality there either.

Then if a women is pregnant she should be an exception. And even other conditions. Diabetes should not fast at all. It is very dangerous, their blood sugar level can stoop to a very threatening level. I don't think god says torture yourself and your health then I'll make your husband live longer. This is just stuff people wrote along the way.

Obviously the decision to fast or not to fast is entirely up to the woman. But I think they should have it so that exceptions don't have to fast but they can still perform the pooja of the moon and everything.

Thank you for commenting!
..Zainab.. IF-Sizzlerz
..Zainab..
..Zainab..

Posted: 26 October 2013 at 2:13pm | IP Logged
I don't its wrong but i do think us, as a society, expect too much from a woman!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Linnetshweta2728

epiphany. IF-Sizzlerz
epiphany.
epiphany.

Crazy Creative Minion

Posted: 26 October 2013 at 2:20pm | IP Logged
I do not think it is wrong. It is borderline mad. My starving myself isn't going to help anyone live longer. Also, there should not be specific days on which to wish your beloved well. It should be everyday because you want them to be good and happy and swell is a given. Lastly, expecting a man to do the same for a woman is pointless. He could always say that she can drop it if she likes and that he ain't making her do it, right? So, this way or that, the woman does it because she wants to. I don't like it and I don't see the point but I cannot call it 'wrong' as wrong goes. Likewise, I'd like believers to not criticize how I go about this institution.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Mahika24huneymonstaLinnet-Inferno-shweta2728

shweta2728 IF-Dazzler
shweta2728
shweta2728

Posted: 26 October 2013 at 2:36pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by epiphany.

I do not think it is wrong. It is borderline mad. My starving myself isn't going to help anyone live longer. Also, there should not be specific days on which to wish your beloved well. It should be everyday because you want them to be good and happy and swell is a given. Lastly, expecting a man to do the same for a woman is pointless. He could always say that she can drop it if she likes and that he ain't making her do it, right? So, this way or that, the woman does it because she wants to. I don't like it and I don't see the point but I cannot call it 'wrong' as wrong goes. Likewise, I'd like believers to not criticize how I go about this institution.

Yup! I agree with you. Its what you do for the other person what matters not starving yourself.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

epiphany.

LazilyAnonymous IF-Dazzler
LazilyAnonymous
LazilyAnonymous

Posted: 26 October 2013 at 3:19pm | IP Logged
Its not wrong. I just hate it how women are EXPECTED to keep this fast. Some are forced from in-laws or from the society. Like others said, people expect too much from women. 
If its by choice then great. Big smile But forcing to keep the fast is wrong. 

Just my point of view...

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Mahika24shweta2728

joie de vivre Goldie
joie de vivre
joie de vivre

Posted: 26 October 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged
It's a relic of a shockingly misogynistic past. A woman's social status and worth is tied to her husband's existence, which is why she prays for his long life, because without him, she is worthless and a social pariah. India's treatment of widows has been - and remains to be -  absolutely and staggeringly barbaric. How ANY woman can NOT feel insulted by this load of drivel is beyond me. 
As for women 'choosing' to partake in this sh!t... it's a bit like Muslim women who choose to wear the burqa and call it their 'choice' or women who get boob-jobs and expect society to treat that as something not deserving censure because they are just exercising their volition. These women might be making a choice, but they are also entrenching misogyny and inequality and their actions indicate that they are victims of a culture of inescapable misogyny and sexism.

The sooner women come to their senses and stop showing totally unwarranted and unnecessary respect to their husbands, the sooner these men will learn how to see women as their equal. As for the in-laws, they should fu(k off to the darkest circle of hell or mind their own damn business. Cultural relativism shouldn't be used here as a get out of jail card in these cases. 

Edited by joie de vivre - 26 October 2013 at 9:58pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Mahika24sub_rosaRehanism-iktaara-

Go to top