Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Change your name! (Page 6)

hindu4lyf IF-Rockerz
hindu4lyf
hindu4lyf

Posted: 04 November 2013 at 4:36pm | IP Logged
I thought this topic was related to the practice of people changing their name after marriage. It's becoming so common for people to give their kids easy to pronounce British/American names. Others give their kids name that can easily be shortened to something easy to pronounce. Amrita becomes Amy, Nikhil becomes Nick and so on. I'm in love with some Indian names, their origins and the meanings so I would most definitely do not want to give my kids (whenever I have them) a non-Indian name.

"Give your daughters difficult names. Give your daughters names that command the full use of tongue. My name makes you want to tell me the truth. My name doesn't allow me to trust anyone that cannot pronounce it right."

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Sakhileanon.

..Zainab.. IF-Sizzlerz
..Zainab..
..Zainab..

Posted: 06 November 2013 at 8:03pm | IP Logged
OMG! the girl! ROFL ROFL
shes such a loser!LOL

INdian! so done! LOL

well once this kid was do u speak pakistanian! i was like thats not even a word! KILL YO SELF! LOL
The-Voice IF-Sizzlerz
The-Voice
The-Voice

Posted: 18 November 2013 at 7:06am | IP Logged
Umm... You have already answered your own question. So what's the debate really about? Ermm

I wouldn't, I know that for sure.
Heart Senior Member
Heart
Heart

Posted: 20 November 2013 at 7:59am | IP Logged
Well Shweta is at least a common name in India. My teachers find it hard to pronounce my name and I live in India! But it is just fun to watch them try and pronounce my name :p For the first time when my teachers see my name, they just stare at it for a few seconds, trying to find a way to say it out loud and I find their reactions hilarious. So no, I wouldn't change my name. Learning process is an important part of life and others just need to learn how to pronounce my name. 

Edited by Heart - 20 November 2013 at 7:56am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

SakhileS.Stephy

Sakhile Goldie
Sakhile
Sakhile

Posted: 25 November 2013 at 3:42am | IP Logged

The world has gotten smaller and people of different cultures, languages, creeds and the like are more in contact with each other. Rather than trying to be like everyone around you or wanting everyone to be like you, we should use these interactions as opportunities to learn more about ohters and create openings for others to feel comforatble enough with us to ask us about ourselves. This wayt we would create a better understanding amongst the peoples of the world.

Shweta you do not need to change your name for anything. It would however, help to accept that not everyone will pronounce it accurately. You can help them to pronounce it better by politely coirrecting the pronunciation. It will also help to recognise that it is only with practice and more interaction with you that your name will become familiar to them.

I too have often had my name mispronounced and even more often misspelt. It used to irritate me, however once I accepted that not everyone has the same level of interest in me and my culture it became easier to igniore those who don't make the effort and concentrate on those who genuinely are interested in me. Great friendships have been built as a result.
Sakhile Goldie
Sakhile
Sakhile

Posted: 25 November 2013 at 3:45am | IP Logged
Originally posted by hindu4lyf

I thought this topic was related to the practice of people changing their name after marriage. It's becoming so common for people to give their kids easy to pronounce British/American names. Others give their kids name that can easily be shortened to something easy to pronounce. Amrita becomes Amy, Nikhil becomes Nick and so on. I'm in love with some Indian names, their origins and the meanings so I would most definitely do not want to give my kids (whenever I have them) a non-Indian name.

"Give your daughters difficult names. Give your daughters names that command the full use of tongue. My name makes you want to tell me the truth. My name doesn't allow me to trust anyone that cannot pronounce it right."
Give children names that have beautiful meanings and stories behind them. These make great converstion starters and they'll learn the art of converstaion. Name children after real heroes whos characters you would want them to emulate. Name them after your own cultural and religious greats.

Go to top