Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Change your name! (Page 4)

joie de vivre Goldie
joie de vivre
joie de vivre

Posted: 26 October 2013 at 9:43pm | IP Logged
I think Indians are by far the WORST when it comes to assimilating. The Chinese and other Asians are far better at this. Look, if we're so bloody attached to our culture, we should stay put and live in India. If we move to a different society in search of a better life, assimilating will be massively helpful. 

The US is a melting pot, but eventually all the various ethnic groups join the American mainstream - that's how the country was built. If the Germans were still calling themselves Hermann and the Italians Guiseppe and the Russians Vladimir and the Chinese YangYang and the Jews Moishe, there would be no common American culture. But what you find is that pretty much all of these groups Anglicise their first names. Whilst some retain their ancestral surnames, others Anglicise that too. But the thing is, at some level, these people have a certain degree of commonality. 

Indians are also the least likely to marry out. If we're going to self-segregate, then we're going to have to be content with remaining on the fringe. To succeed, you need to be able to connect with people. Why do you think Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley don't use their given names anymore? Some might call this self-loathing or trying to act white or some nonsense like that, but personally, I see it as trying to assimilate. It's a mark of respect to the society which you or your ancestors voluntarily emigrated to. 

I work in California and nobody calls me by my Indian name here. My colleagues are for the most part American (and assorted Asian like Chinese, Vietnamese and so forth), and they just find it easier to use an Americanised name rather than grapple with my Indian first name(and mine isn't a very easy Indian name either like Priya or something). Frankly, I just find it easier all round. It's easier at work, at Starbucks, at restaurants, at stores, in bars and so forth. If I ever have children in the States, I'll give them Anglo-Saxon first names for sure. That isn't self-loathing or insecurity. The choice to emigrate in search of a better life was mine. I'm not going to expect the host society to bend over backwards to accommodate my cultural idiosyncrasies. Doing so would reek of a massively misplaced sense of entitlement. 

Edited by joie de vivre - 26 October 2013 at 9:44pm
shweta2728 IF-Dazzler
shweta2728
shweta2728

Posted: 26 October 2013 at 10:17pm | IP Logged
@Joie

I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with you. You are entitled to your opinion. Mexicans and other Latinos also emigrate to the US but you don't see them changing their name and their culture. I know many Mexicans and its amazing to see how many Mexican kids who haven't even been there are so exposed to their culture and roots. And yeah America is a melting pot...which means it melts all the cultures into one...not forget who you are. Mexicans have made such an impact on our society that we learn their language in school and their culture. And people who can speak Spanish as an extra skill have higher salaries. In fact Asians, which includes Indians are well known for trying to run away from their identity then people call them wannabes. I'm not sure if that happens in your area cuz we live in two different environments. And as per changing my name, its less of a culture thing and more of a identity thing. Why should I change something that I've grown up with? I am not criticizing any of decisions, its your life and you can live however you want...wanted to make that clear. But this is just my viewpoint...most of my friend circle has people from various backgrounds...and we are all so different...and I see it as a good thing.

Sorry if I came across rude, it wasn't my intention. I was just displaying my opinions. Thank you for commenting! Smile

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

adevpakhara

Tacker_Holic IF-Rockerz
Tacker_Holic
Tacker_Holic

Posted: 27 October 2013 at 4:17pm | IP Logged
My name is Sonia and everyone can pronounce it perfectly here in the UK but I have a friend called Radhika and all her English friends call her radh-ee-ka... they cant say it properly but no way would she change her name! Why should one change their name for others just because they cant pronounce it... it is your identity and a name given by your family it should be precious to you!
Nice post... liked reading people's different views!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

shweta2728

-Pj- IF-Rockerz
-Pj-
-Pj-

Posted: 30 October 2013 at 2:46pm | IP Logged
I feel that you should not change your name regardless of what country you live it. It maybe difficult to say for some people to begin with and phonics are breaking up syllables are different in each country. But you simply correct them correctly. I remember my brother corrected his teacher for his name when he started school and that was at aged 4. And in all honestly Shewta is not a difficult name. 
I have grown up in London, and honestly my name is not difficult to say at all so I haven't had an issue really. There is a British pronunciation to it, which I have become use to over the years. Which when I started full time work and my Asian colleagues name by name how people are home say it, I was actually thrown back. 

Coming back to the point, I don't think you should change your name to suit where you are, but I do feel that you should be mindful towards it when you have children. I personally, when I have children, will not give them name with are too difficult for can be easily misinterpreted. I am also a teacher and I know when you first get a class, you don't want to get their names wrong. I work in a school with a high population of children from Asian background and many name I also find difficult. However, if I was ever covering or supplying in a class, I tried to read over the children's name with someone who knew them to avoid that.   

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

shweta2728Tacker_Holic

pakhara IF-Rockerz
pakhara
pakhara

Chidiya Ghar Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 30 October 2013 at 5:04pm | IP Logged
My name is Aishwarya, so as you can imagine, it gets butchered every which way in the US. But I don't take people mispronouncing my name as offensive. That simply comes from the fact that they don't know any better. But if someone to ask me to change my name, that would be completely wrong. You shouldn't have to conform to someone else's wants. You're right in that if someone else can't pronounce your name, it's their problem, not yours.

shweta2728

..Zainab.. IF-Sizzlerz
..Zainab..
..Zainab..

Posted: 30 October 2013 at 7:39pm | IP Logged
what up! any incident such as this happen again!LOL

shweta2728

shweta2728 IF-Dazzler
shweta2728
shweta2728

Posted: 30 October 2013 at 8:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by _Littles12_

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">what up! any incident such as this happen again!LOL
</font>

Not yet...haven't had a substitute teacher in a while... LOL
..Zainab.. IF-Sizzlerz
..Zainab..
..Zainab..

Posted: 30 October 2013 at 8:58pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by shweta2728

Originally posted by _Littles12_

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="2">what up! any incident such as this happen again!LOL
</font>

Not yet...haven't had a substitute teacher in a while... LOL

hhahahah! i did! 
this bald headed dude was like zaynaib!LOLLOL
i was like last time i checked there was no y in zainab!LOLLOL

shweta2728

Go to top