Debate Mansion

Change your name! - Page 5

hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
I thought this topic was related to the practice of people changing their name after marriage. It's becoming so common for people to give their kids easy to pronounce British/American names. Others give their kids name that can easily be shortened to something easy to pronounce. Amrita becomes Amy, Nikhil becomes Nick and so on. I'm in love with some Indian names, their origins and the meanings so I would most definitely do not want to give my kids (whenever I have them) a non-Indian name.

"Give your daughters difficult names. Give your daughters names that command the full use of tongue. My name makes you want to tell me the truth. My name doesn't allow me to trust anyone that cannot pronounce it right."

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

..Zainab.. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
OMG! the girl! 🤣 🤣
shes such a loser!😆

INdian! so done! 😆

well once this kid was do u speak pakistanian! i was like thats not even a word! KILL YO SELF! 😆
DaddyMarvel thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 8
Umm... You have already answered your own question. So what's the debate really about? ðŸ¤”

I wouldn't, I know that for sure.
Heart thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Well Shweta is at least a common name in India. My teachers find it hard to pronounce my name and I live in India! But it is just fun to watch them try and pronounce my name :p For the first time when my teachers see my name, they just stare at it for a few seconds, trying to find a way to say it out loud and I find their reactions hilarious. So no, I wouldn't change my name. Learning process is an important part of life and others just need to learn how to pronounce my name. 
Edited by Heart - 10 years ago
Sakhile thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

The world has gotten smaller and people of different cultures, languages, creeds and the like are more in contact with each other. Rather than trying to be like everyone around you or wanting everyone to be like you, we should use these interactions as opportunities to learn more about ohters and create openings for others to feel comforatble enough with us to ask us about ourselves. This wayt we would create a better understanding amongst the peoples of the world.

Shweta you do not need to change your name for anything. It would however, help to accept that not everyone will pronounce it accurately. You can help them to pronounce it better by politely coirrecting the pronunciation. It will also help to recognise that it is only with practice and more interaction with you that your name will become familiar to them.

I too have often had my name mispronounced and even more often misspelt. It used to irritate me, however once I accepted that not everyone has the same level of interest in me and my culture it became easier to igniore those who don't make the effort and concentrate on those who genuinely are interested in me. Great friendships have been built as a result.
Sakhile thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: hindu4lyf

I thought this topic was related to the practice of people changing their name after marriage. It's becoming so common for people to give their kids easy to pronounce British/American names. Others give their kids name that can easily be shortened to something easy to pronounce. Amrita becomes Amy, Nikhil becomes Nick and so on. I'm in love with some Indian names, their origins and the meanings so I would most definitely do not want to give my kids (whenever I have them) a non-Indian name.

"Give your daughters difficult names. Give your daughters names that command the full use of tongue. My name makes you want to tell me the truth. My name doesn't allow me to trust anyone that cannot pronounce it right."

Give children names that have beautiful meanings and stories behind them. These make great converstion starters and they'll learn the art of converstaion. Name children after real heroes whos characters you would want them to emulate. Name them after your own cultural and religious greats.