How Do We Identify A Raag When We Hear It - Page 8

Posted: 17 years ago
Thank u all.....Informative post !!!
Wow this thread has become so long in just one day! But I have no time to go through it
Originally posted by kabhi_21

Ok now.... I had never heard this songs........ the songs are really nice...... From repeated hearings what I cd understand is as follows:

Song one from Mughale Azam by Naushadji

He has used melody (Swara) in the mukhada which is continuing till the end of the songs except for one line of each Antara The song is in the higherscale than the second one😕 (not sure) seems to be from middle octave or scale

The second song starts with somewhat similar melody of swaras as the first song.... Only half part of this melody is repeated in the antaras..... and the song is in lower octave or scale😕

This is what my ears could gather out of this beautiful songs

Bumped for Sahanaji...........

Need comments on my analysis😊

Originally posted by kabhi_21

Bumped for Sahanaji...........

Need comments on my analysis😊

Dear Abhi
Thanks for taking the time to listen to these classics. I am really happy that you liked the songs. There is a timeless appeal in these classical songs, don't you think?

Basically, both the songs were based on Raga Kedar that is why you find some similar arrangement of swars in both the songs. I am myself not classically trained so all I know is that this raga employs all shudh swaras and teevra madhyam. Now when you hear more songs based on raga Kedar, you will be able to recognise the similiarity with these two songs you heard. Try this song now: Aap yun hi agar humse milte rahe from Ek Musafir Ek Haseena
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/17/s/movie_name.711/
Wow! This is awesome. As a beginer in Sashtriya Sangeet. I think these knowledge is definately going to help me.

Now I can relate why I was given Raag Yaman in the begining. My 1st Raag and I completely love it. I also like Raag Bhairav.

Awesome is the word.

Could someone give me basic outline on Raag Bahiravi, That is the next Raag I would be learning.

Great thread I have ever come accross...
Thanks to Barnaliji for starting the thread. and all members for posting such good stuff.

Edited by coollama - 17 years ago
thanks dawn great posts withlinks too 😃 ..it makes itmuch simpler.especially for people pressed for time...

I found a nice link on hindi film songs and different raags. Its called Raagbase. Barnaliji mentioned in her 'algorithms' post that listening to film songs is a good way (actually, a shortcut) to start identifying the different raags. So I took her suggestion.

Here is the link for Raag Pahadi (w/details on the that, aaroha, avroha, pakad) from the above site.

Raag Pahadi

Some popular film songs based on Raag Pahadi.There's a huge list on songs based on the raag but here are a few mentioned on the site. If someone could analyze the different songs, mention the similarities and differences, it would be really helpful.

[ ]    
   Singer :

Singer :

[ ]    
   Singer : ,
   Theme :

[ ]    
   Singer :

[ ]    

[ ]    
   Singer :

[ ]    
   Singer :
   Theme :

[ ]    
   Music Director :
   Lyrics :

Singer :
   Lyrics :

[ ]    
   Singer :
   Lyrics :

Thanks a lot for the posts and articles again. It was very helpful and informative.

Edited by sonyaee - 17 years ago
sonyae, Thanks for the links.Listning to it.
Edited by Qwest - 17 years ago

Sonyaeeji,

Thanks for the links. Definitely a great treat...😛

Wow!!! Never knew neela aasman was based on Pahadi raag...

Edited by adi_0112 - 17 years ago
Thank u so much Sonyaji.. Thats a great information and great treat 👏