Debate Mansion

Taj Mahal: A Fine Example of What? (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 6

Page 1
Page   of 6
Page 3 Page 6

Dazlingflower

Dazlingflower

Posted: 18 August 2006 at 12:50pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by jasunap

We have all heard how the Taj Mahal, which is considered one of the great wonders of the world, was built as the preeminent expression of a man's love for a wife. That it was built by emperor Shah Jahan in commemoration of his wife Mumtaz. However, in our continuous effort to get to the truth, we have recently acquired some very important documents and information. There is evidence that the Taj Mahal was never built by Shah Jahan. Some say the Taj Mahal pre-dates Shah Jahan by several centuries and was originally built as a Hindu or Vedic temple/palace complex. Shah Jahan merely acquired it from its previous owner, the Hindu King Jai Singh.

check it out in the following link

http://www.stephen-knapp.com/was_the_taj_mahal_a_vedic_templ e.htm

That couldn't be true because to my knowldge HIndu temples were not made in that style. Taj-Mahal has Middle east flavor to it..

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Taj Mahal: A Fine Example of What? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 18 August 2006 at 1:25pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Jasunap

We have all heard how the Taj Mahal, which is considered one of the great wonders of the world, was built as the preeminent expression of a man's love for a wife. That it was built by emperor Shah Jahan in commemoration of his wife Mumtaz. However, in our continuous effort to get to the truth, we have recently acquired some very important documents and information. There is evidence that the Taj Mahal was never built by Shah Jahan. Some say the Taj Mahal pre-dates Shah Jahan by several centuries and was originally built as a Hindu or Vedic temple/palace complex. Shah Jahan merely acquired it from its previous owner, the Hindu King Jai Singh.

check it out in the following link

http://www.stephen-knapp.com/was_the_taj_mahal_a_vedic_templ e.htm

Ohh dear.. history and its twists and turns are far more mind blowingly surprsing ithan our drama twistings LOL BET history beats opera soups all the way!!! LOL Wink

Anyways... If this is one of the evidences.. then i won't be surprised that Shah-Jehan Cut the hands of the artsmen is a rumour... Can u still trust history ???? Confused ..this is so Wacko(So first of all prove that this was built by shah jehan and hands were cut off Confused )

Ploughed to the ground!! No WAY!!! Please JP di...have a heart at least for the monument of eternal love u sighed on LOL ...Taj Mahal is sure one of the seven wonders of the world... On a Filmi statement "Yeh Muhabbat ki Maut ho gi" LOL LOL "Jp di Muhabbat ki dushman na bano" LOL (too much melodrama Tongue ...ask Sanjay Leela Bhansali to make a film on this topic LOL )

Returning back to where i was thinking... Taj as being a symbol of love more than a mere monument....i think that IF the Shahjehan-Mumtaz mahal's love story wasn't associated with it, it wouldn't have gained so much of appreciation and fame. *thinking cap still on my headShocked*

Every Big creation, and there is a dark side...it is not new to me... wht happened, happened in the past! Why to ruin our culture preservation for future generations!!!!

Edited by MNMS - 18 August 2006 at 1:27pm

jprasad

IF-Rockerz

jprasad

I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 18 August 2006 at 3:02pm | IP Logged
The irony...

Letter threatens to blow up Taj Mahal

By BISWAJEET BANERJEE, Associated Press Writer 32 minutes ago

Soldiers were on 24-hour guard at the Taj Mahal after officials received a letter threatening to blow up the monument, officials said Friday.

Authorities were investigating a handwritten letter received Thursday — purportedly sent by an al-Qaida supporter — that said the terrorist group planned blasts at the 17th century monument, which drew nearly 2.5 million tourists last year.

"Police are verifying the source of the letter," said Ashok Kumar, a senior government official in Uttar Pradesh state where the Taj Mahal is located. "The letter could be false but we cannot afford to be complacent. We are not taking any chances and have enhanced security at the Taj."

At least 100 additional paramilitary soldiers with automatic weapons have been posted around the Taj Mahal complex, authorities said.

The state government has asked the federal civil aviation authorities and India's air force to declare a no-fly zone within a 2.5-mile radius of the Taj Mahal, said N. C. Bajpei, Uttar Pradesh's highest official.

Tourists have been warned not to carry any liquids, including bottles of mineral water, to the fabled white marble structure located in the city of Agra, 130 miles from the Indian capital, New Delhi. Sandbag bunkers also have been set up outside the towering entrance gates, Kumar said.

The majestic domed monument was built by the Mogul Emperor Shah Jehan between 1632 and 1654 for his favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal. It houses their graves and a mosque, as well as several graves of lesser Mogul royalty.

India deployed tens of thousands of police to patrol major cities and posted sharpshooters on rooftops Tuesday as the country marked 59 years of independence under a terror alert. The celebrations came a month after the train bombings in Bombay killed 207 people.

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 18 August 2006 at 3:27pm | IP Logged
I was about to post the same news article from ToI . Ouch

vijay

Admin Group

vijay

Site Admin

Posted: 18 August 2006 at 5:37pm | IP Logged

Great topic Jprasad. Well I dont know whether I could add something interesting to the debate but here are some of my views...

Taj Mahal ... One of the seven wonders of the World!

Taj Mahal often referred to as symbol of eternal Love, a tribute to Beauty and what not.

I am sure many women would be more then happy to get such Loving, Passionate, and Rich Husband. LOL I am sure many husband do hear the same comment from their accompanying wife that "See Shah Jahan loved his wife SOOO (emphasize and drag "so") MUCH that even when she died he made the grandest mausoleum in her memory" Embarrassed

But the real question is that was it worth it and that is the real debate issue here:

a) Taj Mahal basically one of the Grandest and the Costliest Palace built in history beside the Pyramids. The total cost of Building the Taj Mahal is estimated to be 50 Million Rupee in those time. It is also said that Shah Jahan got the hands chopped of all the main architects and sculptors who worked on Taj Mahal so that they can never make any other such Grand and beautiful architecture.

b) Taj Mahal was was made by charging heavy taxes on the citizens for years just to build a grand mausoleum which was not going to do any good to the common people.

c) As I have read somewhere that even in the holy Quran it is written that the grave should be made with simplicity and without grandeur. So the premise of building it is faltered. More then love its more a product of an autocratic ruler vaunting his grandeur and delusive munificence to the world. No wonder Aurangjeb (practical person) put him in jail in the larger interest of his kingdom and to stop Saha Jahan doing all this stupidity at the expense of the common man.

On a side note I feel Aurangjeb was not a bad son else he would not have allowed him the view of Taj Mahal from his prison cell and neither would have buried Shah Jahan just beside Mumtaz's grave.

Now the modern time:

Taj Mahal surely attracts a lot of tourists to India and is a great revenue churner for Agra which lets estimate it to be 500 Million yearly.

If we do some simple maths and see if all this was really worth it:

If we compound 50 Million for 354 years @ 10% rate of interest per annum. Lets assume there is 100,000 is spent per month (calculating after it was finished) on its maintenance.

The Total Amount would be: 2,472,323,314,065,350,000,000. (something which cant be cashed LOL)

And all this for one woman! LOL

Some advice to some modern would be Shah Jahans

Din mein diya jalane se kya,
Raat mein diya bujhane se kya,
Ae Shah Jahan tujhe mumtaz nahi mil sakti,
Uski Kabr par Taj Mahal Banane Se Kya.

Now read this funny SMS:

Shah Jahan Ne Taj Mahal Ki Har Deewar Ko Dekha,
Har Meenar Ko Dekha, Har Kaleen Ko Dekha,
Har Khidki Se Dekha… Aur Bola…
Maa Kasam, Bahut Kharcha Ho Gaya !!! LOL

Cheers,
Vijay

P.S. Thanks for reading my long post and I hope you enjoyed it.

Edited by vijay - 18 August 2006 at 5:48pm

Singh23

IF-Dazzler

Singh23

Posted: 18 August 2006 at 6:01pm | IP Logged

the taj should not be plowed to the ground, it is a national monument, its a part of india's history and heritage, good or bad.

shah jahan didn't cut the workers hands off, thats a myth, most of the things those tour guides around the taj mahal say is false, a university history professor that studided in india and foucues of that time period of india told me so himself.

also the taj mahal was never a hindu temple thats all lies, stuff that some extremists , might belive in, shah jahan created the taj, it was not a hindu temple ever.

Edited by Singh23 - 18 August 2006 at 6:07pm

buttercup

IF-Veteran Member

buttercup

Posted: 18 August 2006 at 10:27pm | IP Logged
Taj Mahal a fine example of Eijaz KhanEmbarrassed
Taj Mahal is the best, perfect and so attractive so is Eijaz Khan Embarrassed

Both are one in a million Tongue

Mrs. DON Big smile

~Poonam~

IF-Sizzlerz

~Poonam~