Why is the indian youth obsessed with western culture

glamarousgemini thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
So, I'm watching this cuz my mom is controlling the tv and it's so annoying because of the girls in the design competition. Everything r does is slated as old fashioned, but as an American I don't find it old fashioned just culturally oriented.

So, my question is why is the indian youth obsessed with the west. Why are they ashamed of their own culture and clothing. The characters seem so desperate and really lame.

As for the model all I have to say is W*F...

Any input would be nice

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SailorMoonStar thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
IKR! I'm from America too and I can't believe they are ashamed with their own culture. I mean wanting to dress and act westernly is ok. But why criticize others like Rachna for following their own culture?! People should be like Gunjan. She acts westernly cause she wants to and does not look down people who greatly follow their culture.  At first yes but not anymore.
geek2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I was also wondering the same.
It seems in India these days youth selectively follows west.
They wear clothes like them, smoke , drink and party n fool around and do not follow there good things.
What is Wrong in following our own culture? What is this 'behnji'?
I also left Indian almost 30 years back and every year see the downfall in the name of becoming modern.
Be modern in your thought .Edited by geek2 - 10 years ago
RamziMeriJaan thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Sadly it's true , some folks think it's more modern  ðŸ¤¢
happygirl123 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Its just the stereotype western=modern
purplefreak43 thumbnail
hey.. i agree with you. im also from a foreign country. but i watch this serial.. and im very disappointed with those girls at the competition. its okay if you wear western clothes but the way they treat rachna because she wears traditional clothes- that's discriminating and being a stereotype.

and the girls in the competition think they are very well in designing clothes because they are westerized and rachna is just a simple, traditional girl from a small town- they are acting on their prejudice and thus are creating stereotypes.

these actions should be banned and they also have to appreciate and accept that they live in india, a free country where everyone can wear traditional, or western clothing.

they dont have the right judge the talent of people because of their backgrounds.we should teach those judgemental people a lesson for them to learn in their whole life.

and for rachna, she has to be strong, she doesnt have to be scared from those people because she is right and truth always wins. she is determined and talented.

GO RACHNA! SHOW THOSE GIRLS THAT YOU ARE THE BEST AND YOU WIN THE COMPETITION...LET'S SEE WHO WILL CALL YOU BEHENJI...

ðŸ˜‰
glamarousgemini thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Thanks everyone for the replies. 

Glad to see I am not the only one that feels that one. IMHO, I think we as NRI's have more appreciation and preservation of our culture. 

When I go to India, no one believes that I am American born because I speak the language well and am well mannered. 

Personally, I feel the Indian youth has associated being modern with wearing dresses and weird hairstyles.  Their thought process is still narrow minded.
SailorMoonStar thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: glamarousgemini

Thanks everyone for the replies. 

Glad to see I am not the only one that feels that one. IMHO, I think we as NRI's have more appreciation and preservation of our culture. 

When I go to India, no one believes that I am American born because I speak the language well and am well mannered. 

Personally, I feel the Indian youth has associated being modern with wearing dresses and weird hairstyles.  Their thought process is still narrow minded.

Yea the old tradition and new traditional people both are narrow minded. The only people who are broad minded are people like the current Gunjan who goes both ways. Doesn't think western or old culture is pathetic and bad.
rakshaanra thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
True, I went on a pligramage to Vrindavan many times, the last time, we went shopping in a mall and I was the only one in a sari!
The mall looked like a mall back in Australia, and the youths were all Western, and the people serving me looked like I was a behenji!

I love saris and gopi suits and salwaars,
I wear sari to work- and my white coat complements it

thanks for the thread
poorvab thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
if the indian youth wouldnt be obsessed with the western culture so much , there wont be so many 'NRIs' and there wont be a whole new generation of indans born and brought up in other countries but claiming to be indian and claiming to respect and love the indian culture more than resident-indians.