Page 1
Page   of 6
Page 3 Page 6

DonnaHarvey

IF-Sizzlerz

DonnaHarvey

Posted: 30 September 2013 at 12:21pm | IP Logged
found this gem on teh interwebzSmile
"Colonial rule projected western science as the ultimate source of knowledge and western values as supreme. Stereotypes of oppressed non-western women had their counterpart in the male, rational western culture, coming to their rescue, both metaphorically and literally. Unfortunately, these stereotypes became so entrenched in the psyche of post-colonial nation builders that they and even third-world feminist activists confuse development with "westernization." The fallacy of such an assumption becomes clear when one takes a glance at the realities of everyday life where crimes against women and poverty and marginalization of the masses is exploding in the most urban metropolises with the highest exposure to modernization and globalization. Urban India is replete with rising incidences of crimes against women. Conservative supporters of westernization would attribute such malaise to "tradition." But rational thought points to globalization, with its emphasis on material values, consumerism and "trashing" of traditional knowledge. Globalization has eroded the traditional resource base as well as the knowledge and power associated with it."

- Globalization and modernity in India: A gendered critique by Subhadra Mitra Channa

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Killbill23shweta2728sarasingh86

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Wearing Indian Clothing.... (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

kavyasam

IF-Rockerz

kavyasam

Posted: 30 September 2013 at 6:59pm | IP Logged
@TM -  You changed the title from 'Being less Indian' to  'wearing Indian clothing' .

@for the all caps foot note :  Yes you did mention in the post that you don't expect all Indians to wear Indian clothing and not wear jeans and t shirt,  so I don't think anyone will mistake the topic to be otherwise.  However you also stated asked  "what is up with the frustration of trying to be western, is it inferiority complex or does it go back to british Raj"   which implies you are questioning their choice of clothing as well. 

About making fun, the people who made fun of you must be mean people who would have made fun of anybody,  that should lead to the conclusion that Indians make fun of those who wear salwars. 

By the way we are talking about girls here correct,  what is the dress code for Indian Men?  There isn't one because 75% of the men in the world wear one uniform, pant and shirt.   I am glad girls have this choice of extreme variety.  

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

shweta2728

shweta2728

IF-Dazzler

shweta2728

Posted: 30 September 2013 at 7:07pm | IP Logged
Hi Kavya!

This going to be short cuz I'm a bit busy right now. Yes I did change my title because after I read my post I realized that my post was geared more towards clothing than culture than it originally had to be. The original purpose of my anecdote was well to be a person experience I wanted to share. In fact I have a broader thought on westernization. Indians in India might not realize the frustration they express but its pretty visible when people abroad notice it. Fun fact, British actually have a term called "Brown nose" look it up! Really to say I'm not interested in this topic cuz of my own fault that the topic is too specified. It needs to be more broad to see the bigger picture. I'm going to create a new topic when I have the time on Westernization vs development. Thanks to DonnaHarvey who summarized my thoughts since I didn't exactly have the word for it. I would love to see at my topic! Hope my comment wasn't that long hehe!

P.S. I would recommend reading DonnaHarvey's comment above, its really interesting!

kavyasam

IF-Rockerz

kavyasam

Posted: 30 September 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged
@Shweta - yes the topic is specific to clothing so will the replies be. 
Be assured I did get the point of your post.  

At the same time out of 1.27 billion people in India what could be the ratio of against/for India culture? 

anyways I have nothing more to add.  Thank you.

shweta2728

shweta2728

IF-Dazzler

shweta2728

Posted: 30 September 2013 at 7:46pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by kavyasam

@Shweta - yes the topic is specific to clothing so will the replies be.
</div>
<div>
Be assured I did get the point of your post.

At the same time out of 1.27 billion people in India what could be the ratio of against/for India culture?

anyways I have nothing more to add. Thank you.

I don't know. I don't perform statistics and I'm too lazy to look it up online...

Thank you for commenting and I wish to see you in future topics! Smile It was fun talking to you.

Destinyhope0305

IF-Stunnerz

Destinyhope0305

Posted: 01 October 2013 at 8:55am | IP Logged
I wud say it was quite rude for the foreigners to laugh at u .But to be frank ,there are many "INDIANS" here in india too where whenever a foreigner lands up they wud either get ready to mock them or lust over them.!! Believe me sumtimes even literate clique does that!! I m actually with the thought dat every individual must have the right to dress up as they want.To wear or act like they want! To hit the reality i wud say (it may sound rude to some) "SOME " INDIANS are still so stuck in their old cultures dat they find it tough or rather say disgusted to adjust to modern culture while foreigners find it tough to understand Indian culture!

shweta2728

shweta2728

IF-Dazzler

shweta2728

Posted: 01 October 2013 at 9:11am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Destinyhope0305

I wud say it was quite rude for the foreigners to laugh at u .But to be frank ,there are many "INDIANS" here in india too where whenever a foreigner lands up they wud either get ready to mock them or lust over them.!! Believe me sumtimes even literate clique does that!! I m actually with the thought dat every individual must have the right to dress up as they want.To wear or act like they want! To hit the reality i wud say (it may sound rude to some) "SOME " INDIANS are still so stuck in their old cultures dat they find it tough or rather say disgusted to adjust to modern culture while foreigners find it tough to understand Indian culture!

So "modern" culture is westernization? So what is "modern" for who live in the west? Modern is not they way you dress. Its the way you think. India is still a developing country and I hope I don't have to explain you why. But instead of only copying fashion and dances of the west why not adopt some of their ideas which make them a successful country and society? And about the "old" indian culture...please specify what goes under that category. I don't know how "old" or far back you are talking about cuz I'm a teenager...so even if you are talking about 10 years ago...I was too young...

tinkerbe11

IF-Dazzler

tinkerbe11

Posted: 01 October 2013 at 9:21am | IP Logged

Okay without going into too much detail here, I understand this topic completely given my own experiences.  I mean I absolutely love India! Heart  I've spent years out there and not wanting to come back to London, but the truth is I've travelled mainly over North India and surrounding areas, but whilst I'm not travelling I usually stay in Delhi.  Anyways, I always wear Indian clothes in India and I've had it all the time.  People from India, mainly the same sort of age groups usually don't appreciate it much if they see a person from younger generations dressing in Indian clothing.  I don't understand it but I can vouch that it's happened to me more times than once - so it's not just the few odd people, it's actually the majority.  Maybe they find it old-fashioned or something to take the piss out of, but the truth is I laugh at people like that and I've even ended up dissing their asses lool but truth of the matter is what they're really taking the mick out of is themselves because they belong to the land where sari's were made for the reason of having enough material to cover you, 3 piece suits were made for modesty and no one's laughing at them because they're not wearing it, but then why do they find it amusing if what they consider us as 'foreigners' choose to wear it and respect it in the very land our roots derive from also.  See abroad we have little resources to keep our cultures traditional and intact with its roots so these small things help us finding an identity as Indians, it makes us feel proud that we are so away from home yet we haven't forgotten who we are and where we come from.   

Having said that, I won't lie, even here in London, other cultural people accept our clothing more than our own, they appreciate it, admire, even try to imitate it, but we have majority from our culture here that also think it not right to wear Indian clothes because frankly speaking they find it 'intimidating' because perhaps they're not blending in with the people and friends from their area. 

However the reason I'm replying is just to generally say that if we see other people's cultures and their traditions they're not ashamed or trying so hard to blend in with the western culture so much because it's our cultures and tradition and clothing that sets us apart in this world and to keep it alive we first need to learn to accept that.  Wink

Anyways no hard feelings to anyone, good day folks x

shweta2728

Post Reply New Post

Go to top