Page 1
Page   of 5
Page 2 Page 5

enigmatic_zephy

IF-Sizzlerz

enigmatic_zephy

Posted: 27 September 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged
Ok, i don;t know whom to ask this but..
so i haven't read paulo coehlo much...let's say i am not a fan of fantasy means profound philosophies...sorta stuff..hence such spiritual topics, i prefer to stick to tried and tested originals...

however, a cousin managed to sell the idea of reading 11 elevens..

Literature: Very very bad

Am i enlightened - far from it..its like  cheap rip off and amalgamation of 'suni-sunayi' spiritual sotries..

To top it all, for osme reason my mother thinks that I am under depression because i am not thinking of marriage right now..and she gifts me alchemist this bday...

BECAUSE, she went to the bookstall, asked the guy - which is a life changing positivity spreading book..and the book stall owner, by virtue of stocking so many books and being perceived as having read those books..LOL, ( i think offered tea to her)..and basically at the end of it...sold her the ALCHEMIST - the life changing book,...

and here it lies rt in front of me, with my parents smiling and looking at me ( ah well what parents do to connect with their kids)..., so yeah..it lies with my gogols, dostoyevsky...

can't throw it... Angry...so wondering if I shud bother to try with it..

So, people the question...

is cohelo worth the hype???

Are the buks or nay particular one worth trying?

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Diva-In-Armor-silhouette-DiehardYMfanwAnNaBeReBel

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "The Alchemist...." in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

wAnNaBeReBel

IF-Sizzlerz

wAnNaBeReBel

Posted: 28 September 2013 at 2:46am | IP Logged

A friend gave me a copy of the alchemist so that I could change my life forever too and something about it being the literary masterpiece and yada yada yada

Never tried any of his recommendation again

The whole self help nature of the book gets on my nerves.

But what irks me off the most is that the only message of the book I could decipher is follow your dreams, what he terms as personal legend, do what you want to do and the universe will make it all right. Like how is that supposed to change my life for gods sake?

Am I supposed to believe that  pursuing my self interest and doing absolutely nothing else is enough to convince the universe to work out the problems of my life?

Plus you cant even criticize it. Its like butchering a cow. Its like coelho has created a cult who blindly worship him like most of our religious saints.

In my opinion paulo is more of a case of a clever salesman who is selling optimism like the world is fair under the veil of enlightenment. 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Diva-In-ArmorDiehardYMfanenigmatic_zephy

enigmatic_zephy

IF-Sizzlerz

enigmatic_zephy

Posted: 28 September 2013 at 3:29am | IP Logged
Originally posted by BeShArAm

A friend gave me a copy of the alchemist so that I could change my life forever too and something about it being the literary masterpiece and yada yada yada

Never tried any of his recommendation again

The whole self help nature of the book gets on my nerves.

But what irks me off the most is that the only message of the book I could decipher is follow your dreams, what he terms as personal legend, do what you want to do and the universe will make it all right. Like how is that supposed to change my life for gods sake?

Am I supposed to believe that  pursuing my self interest and doing absolutely nothing else is enough to convince the universe to work out the problems of my life?

Plus you cant even criticize it. Its like butchering a cow. Its like coelho has created a cult who blindly worship him like most of our religious saints.

In my opinion paulo is more of a case of a clever salesman who is selling optimism like the world is fair under the veil of enlightenment. 

thing is his buks aren;t even that gud LOL us se better to the secret thi LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

wAnNaBeReBel

wAnNaBeReBel

IF-Sizzlerz

wAnNaBeReBel

Posted: 28 September 2013 at 3:55am | IP Logged
Originally posted by enigmatic_zephy

Never dared to read any other paulo coelho books

nor have I tried Secret

Just cant tolerate most of these self help books Tongue

enigmatic_zephy

enigmatic_zephy

IF-Sizzlerz

enigmatic_zephy

Posted: 28 September 2013 at 4:10am | IP Logged
Originally posted by BeShArAm

Never dared to read any other paulo coelho books

nor have I tried Secret

Just cant tolerate most of these self help books Tongue

wo bhi bakwaas hai but literature wise and quality of paper wise is se better hai LOL

wAnNaBeReBel

wAnNaBeReBel

IF-Sizzlerz

wAnNaBeReBel

Posted: 28 September 2013 at 4:26am | IP Logged

wo bhi bakwaas hai but literature wise and quality of paper wise is se better hai LOL

ROFL

Now I want to read it just to see the quality of paper

enigmatic_zephy

charminggenie

IF-Rockerz

charminggenie

Posted: 28 September 2013 at 1:07pm | IP Logged
Zephy he is overrated, sometimes he reminds me of Chetan Bhagat!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Diva-In-Armorenigmatic_zephy

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 29 September 2013 at 2:04pm | IP Logged
Coelho writes certain types of novels, and you're right, he has a strong fan base. I read The Alchemist a few years ago at a point in time when some things in it just clicked with me. On any normal day, I would say it's too metaphorical for me to read. But I guess sometimes if you need reassurance of the same old simpler truths of life, there you have it:
Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity.

I still think there's a lot to the book that probably went over my head. I plan on reading it again in a few years and seeing if I get a new meaning out of it. Both of my parents read the book and really liked it but they tend to like philosophical books like this.

If nothing else, at least now you know where Javed Akhtar stole SRK's famous dialogue in Om Shanti Om from: 

"And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." 

"So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you."

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

anu.ycharminggenieDiehardYMfan-Nakshatra-Perfangel5655enigmatic_zephy

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.