Debate Mansion

Where should our loyalty lay?

anjali.nair thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

When we become US/UK citizens they take the oath of allegiance to the host country. But even then we still have loyalty to our home country. When there is a cricket match between India and England many support India even though they are British citizens. By doing so are we deceitful to our host country?  I see that many here are US/UK citizens but are proud to be Indians and Pakistanis. Where should our loyalty lay?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Morgoth thumbnail
I dont know about anyone else, but if I'm watching a match where dual-citizenship comes into play, i cheer for both sides (or the team with the most drool-worthy player πŸ˜›)
Rindam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Tough one. Never been in this situation but I can think between states as I dont support any CA teams though I've been living here a while. I still stick with the teams were I went to school.

But if there was ever a cricket match between the US and India, I would root for India, I grew up on it-

But loyalty in terms of more serious concerns is tough. I've come to love the US very much.
usachick821 thumbnail
We all have to respect our roots, but for those of us who live outside of india we cant forget our current location (the U.S, England, etc). The land that our parents or even we left india for has to have some value in our lives. I find it very difficult to believe some people who live in the U.S but hate it beyond belief, isnt this the same land they were eager to come to, to make a better life for themselves? The country that gave them success and oportunity?

We should respect both, and not just side with one. I will always love and respect my india, but i will also forever love the U.S as well, which has given my family and I so much.
Aparna_BD thumbnail
Being a NRI and having to choose loyalty is like for a married woman asking her to choose between parents or husband and his family. You are routing for both equally. Will be happy to see one win and sad for the other who looses.
anjali.nair thumbnail

I am talking about US/UK born kids (like my daughter) or the ones who have adopted citizenship. Former England Captain Nasser Hussain (drool-drool😳) was born in India but then his family moved to England and became British citizens. There are many in West Indies team who have Indian origin like Chanderpaul. They support their host country.

So it just came to my mind that where should our loyalty lay if we had to choose between the two?

Dazlingflower thumbnail
I am NRI and I am divided between USA and India. There are so many things that I like and dislike about both the countries, but I still get more happy when India does something positive. My heart just break when I hear negative advertisement about India.

If I were to come back in next life, I would love to be an Indian again.

-Masakali- thumbnail
umm...just cuz u take oath to another country does not mean you should give up ur loyalty to another country. i think that its different for everyone and its like a personal choice
sowmyaa thumbnail
bluepink it's so nice to see your old id back πŸ˜› this is really good question.

Category 1-
This is like heart vs brain debate. Your heart will always want to take side of place you were born. Where you grew up and basically that is what your identity is. Your brain will ask you to be loyal to your oath. once you take oath you are naturalized citizen of that country. You get some benifts from that country which is not yours, but they treat you like theirs. I would say for small issues like game, cricket it's not big of a deal if you go with your heart, but with bigger and more serious issues, it gets really hard for one to decide.

Category 2nd-
my kids who are born citizen of this country. I think i would want them to support the country they are born in and brought up in. I dont' want my kid to support India 'coz her parnts are from India...for her US is her country.

These are just my thoughts, and that too very confused one...πŸ˜• to be frank, I myself get lost with this questions somtimes, but just wrote what i felt today.Edited by sowmyaa - 17 years ago
Dazlingflower thumbnail

Originally posted by: sowmyaa

bluepink it's so nice to see your old id back πŸ˜› this is really good question.

Category 1-
This is like heart vs brain debate. Your heart will always want to take side of place you were born. Where you grew up and basically that is what your identity is. Your brain will ask you to be loyal to your oath. once you take oath you are naturalized citizen of that country. You get some benifts from that country which is not yours, but they treat you like theirs. I would say for small issues like game, cricket it's not big of a deal if you go with your heart, but with bigger and more serious issues, it gets really hard for one to decide.

Category 2nd-
my kids who are born citizen of this country. I think i would want them to support the country they are born in and brought up in. I dont' want my kid to support India 'coz her parnts are from India...for her US is her country.

These are just my thoughts, and that too very confused one...πŸ˜• to be frank, I myself get lost with this questions somtimes, but just wrote what i felt today.

I think you exactly wrote what most of us feel like. I took oath in 96 and do feel obligations towards USA, but my emotional attachements are in India.

ONe thing I am very proud of is our community make sures that our children know their language and religion. THis is very important. My friends and work get very surprised that my neices who are born and raised in USA can read and write Punjabi.