Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by: varaali

It was not considered wrong according to the norms of the society then. It was an accepted practice, sanctioned by Manusmriti and Manav Dharmashastra.

Yes. It is written in Mahabharat that it was Bhisma who suggested Satyavati to invite some learned brahmin to beget sons from Ambika and Ambalika, Satyavati liked that suggestion and decided to call Ved Vyas. 
Adr_Rush thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks for the lovely written update nandini ðŸ¤—
Anurulz thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
am new to the forum but i see a lot of familiar people here..i have one tihng to say abt the character of matsyakanya/ satyavati.. according to Krishna-Avatar written by KM Munshi, the entire issue of ved-vyas being the father of ambika and ambalika's sons, was not proposed by satyavati but by the ministers of hastinapur..they wanted Bheeshma to beget the sons first according to a particular ritual which i dnt remember name of..but bheeshma refused outright..and the throne of hastinapur had no king..there were many neighbouring kingdoms wanting to seize the throne as well after the death of vichitravirya..so in desperation, she pleaded to vedvyas who was her son from Muni Parashar and he came to fulfil the ritual..i think her character is portryaed to be lot more egoistic than it was..even the whole sons-being-kings condition was raised by her father and not her..she was all of 17 wen she was married to Shantanu..