Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

chatbuster thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: sareg

I wonder what everyone feels looking at songs listed below and realizing that they were plagiarized
On one end you think ah if these were not plagiarized we would not be listening to these songs
On the other end you think you know some of the cornerstone songs of Hindi film music are plagiarized and some of the great celebrated music directors of Hindi Film music are nothing but higher grade's of chore than Pritam

look at the list below, if you google the original's you would find the original compiler of this list

R.D. Burman (like father like son)
Aao Twist Karein (Bhoot bangla) - Original - Let's twist again
Mehbooba (Sholay) - Original - Say you love me
Tumse Milke (Parinda ) - Original - When I need you

Laxmikant Pyarelal
Om shanti Om (Karz) -Original - Shanti om
Anand Milind
Akele Hain (Qayamay Se Qayamat Tak) - Original - Return to the alamo
S.D. Burman (like father, like son, can I repeat myself?)
Hum The Woh Thi (Chalti ka Naam Gaadi) Original - The Watermelon song

Shankar Jaikishen
Kaun hai jo sapnon mein aaya (Jhook gaya aasmaan) - Original - Marguerita

Salil Chowdhury (this was a real shocker)
Dil Tadap tadap ke (Madhumati) - Original - Szla dzieweczka do gajeczka

I saw this on someone's blog and verified the original songs(two times, 😉 what can I say slow day today),
since I did not beleive it at first

😆😆😆

haha... i think when these big people do these things then it cannot be called chori. chori is what the lil fellas do. the big guys? they're just being smart businessmen.😉

rocker1 thumbnail

Originally posted by: sareg

well let us look at this way, you went to reputed store, bought a ipod, paid top dollar, went home listened to it excellent quality, a month goes by, a friend tells you if the ipod has a sign of "Made by USA" rather than "Made in USA" it means it is a dupe

then do you feel cheated?

Comparing apples and oranges here. That's like buying a fake ipod thinking it to be the original. I didn't listen to Ya Ali thinking it was Ya Ghali or worrying about whether it was the first of its kind or not - so there's no question of feeling duped here. I listened to it to enjoy the song and I enjoyed it (more than the original when I heard the original later).

chatbuster thumbnail

Originally posted by: chukkna

It wasn't called Chori untilnow. Pritam had always copied the songs and he was called a copy cat.But when you dont pay the credit to the source and when you dont pay the money, then it is chori.

You always have to be smart to be a businessman in first place.

sorry. u dont have to be smart to be a businessman. any laloo-paloo can be a bizman and often are. 😉 but reference was to smart bizman.

btw, did the big fellas give "credit to the source" and did they "pay the money"? no? so what shld we call their omission? chori or wat? 😛

Edited by chatbuster - 17 years ago
SRGMPa thumbnail
Just give the original composer his credit and go ahead! It is crazy that people can copy stuff and get rich!

I also think it is not the responsibility of the listening public to figure out if something is copied or not. Unlike buying illegal software etc most people do not know if the music is copied. Like Shady says people just want to listen to something innovative. You just hope that the people in the business show more class and some sense of ethics.

I also do feel cheated if I know a tune is lifted especially if I felt the composer was so talented and heaped a ton of praises on him for an awesome song that wanst his!

orthodox thumbnail
In India music constitutes a song composed to tune and preferably a movie song. And a song is made up of lyrics, a tune or music and singer. Now, what is seen is the job of a Music composer is considered most important, most rewarding as well as what comes in the plagiarism controversy. In the process we ignore the other two crucial ingredients the lyrics and singer. Had it been music only it could have been the instrumental part only - nobody listens to it without the lyrics. We can club the singer (who suffers most as over time people start confusing the names of original and copier singers)with the composer as they together work and rework to make the lyrics more marketable. The lyrics part is the most important one of them all, all the while the most immune part to be plagiarised.
Now, pure pliagarism comes in the shape of Remixes - not only the tune is copied, the lyrics also are copied. Most importantly, it is the same market and audience that it is presented to, not only creating severe damage to the original creation but also duping the customers by presenting substandard goods as originals.

In majority of historical and present cases presented here, either it is just new lyrics set to old music or it is the tune copied or it is part thereof. It has demanded much hard work on the part of the new lyricist and music composer to adjust to that old tune, which usually is not copied as it is - I can tell by experience that there are no two songs with exact composition (subtelties?😉). There, therefore, should be some clearcut and demarcated laws governing the rights of these creative treasures and ofcourse with stringent ways and timeframes for the implementation of such laws.