Page 1 of 6

Page 1
Page   of 6
Page 2 Page 6

shweta2728

IF-Dazzler

shweta2728

Posted: 16 September 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged
And Miss America 2014 is... NINA DAVULURI! She is the first Miss America to be from Indian descent. This is a proud moment for all Indians across the country! But Nina faced some racist comments recently and her comment to that was that It doesn't affect her. Nina also preformed a Bollywood dance on stage which is also a first in history. Now many people might be saying that Americans are racist. Okay...some may be but not all...its only a minority...if America was racist, would Nina be crowned Miss America? Would I and along with others be in America? What are your thoughts? You can also express your thoughts and feelings about Nina becoming Miss America.

Please have a civil discussion. I am looking forward to your thoughts!

Edited by shweta2728 - 29 September 2013 at 1:59pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

theloupgarouxrkbala-Carrie-FreshDaisyundisclosed

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Miss America 2014 *TM - pg.5" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 17 September 2013 at 12:15am | IP Logged

A flawed minority always manages to give a bad name to the majority. Happens all the time. But referring  an American citizen of Indian origin as an Arab speaks more of ignorance. There have been several reports of innocent Sikh immigrants being targeted for the terrorist attacks at WTC. Could it be that  the  education facility in a developed country like the US failed to reach or create the desired impact on some of its citizens?

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

peridot.shweta2728-Raichu-FreshDaisy

Cutiepie Rani

IF-Stunnerz

Cutiepie Rani

Posted: 17 September 2013 at 12:31pm | IP Logged
First and foremost I have to say, congratulations to Nina! The entire Indian community is proud of what she has accomplished.

America is NOT racist. But certain Americans are very much indeed racists. When I read some of the tweets and comments being posted seconds after her win, I was left in a state of shock. Being an American born Indian, I could really relate to Nina. The judges of the talent hunt knew what they were doing and really kudos to them for being honest with their decision of who should win the title. It is really a shame to see all this negativity for Nina. Because of it I sometimes hesitate to call myself an American.

Nina is an inspiration to all of us Asian Americans who were born and brought up in America but are not white and fair skinned. Its really nasty how some Americans have the wrong perception that being 'American' means being fair skinned and white. W*F is that? Excuse my language, but so much pissed me off! And how can you even link Nina to a terrorist group? Seriously? Shows how cheap some people can get.

I love this video:

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

shweta2728reeha...k

hindu4lyf

IF-Rockerz

hindu4lyf

Posted: 17 September 2013 at 2:13pm | IP Logged
Congrats Nina!
There are always going to be douchebags. People that are ignorant, plain stupid passing comments. It's sad that something like 'Miss America 9/11' was trending on Twitter but I'd always like to believe that's the minority. The same minority that forgets their own president isn't a white American. The same group that believes Obama is a Muslim or that he wasn't born in America.

Stephen Colbert put it perfectly..

"After a brief detour to take shots at Donald Trump, Colbert moved on to the big story of the night. "I, for one, could not be happier for her," Colbert said of Miss New York-turned-Miss America Davuluri. "And Twitter, as usual, could not be happy. The host nearly broke character when reporting that following Davuluri's victory Sunday night, "705 people saw a woman in a bikini and thought Muslim extremist."

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

peridot.shweta2728zephyr29FreshDaisy

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 17 September 2013 at 3:35pm | IP Logged
Congrats to Nina :)

Lets assume an Indian born white girl gets selected for Miss India title, what would be the Indian public's reactions?

shweta2728FreshDaisy

hindu4lyf

IF-Rockerz

hindu4lyf

Posted: 17 September 2013 at 4:46pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Aarya-

Lets assume an Indian born white girl gets selected for Miss India title, what would be the Indian public's reactions?

Well Sonia Gandhi isn't Indian and she practically gets to run the country. Hell, she wasn't even Indian-born and doesn't even speak Hindi fluently. Look at Bollywood. We have actresses like Katrina Kaif acting in 100cr movies every year.

But speaking of Miss India titles - Diana Hayden was born in to an Anglo-Indian Christian family and not only went on to become Miss India but also Miss World. 

shweta2728ANNMT.

Perfangel5655

IF-Sizzlerz

Perfangel5655

Posted: 17 September 2013 at 6:18pm | IP Logged
I usually do not care about this at all but I was so proud of her. She won in a competition that has very western conception of beauty. 
As for the racist comments it is so disappointing. Granted it is only a minority but still it sucks to know how ignorant and hateful people are. These weren't even some anonymous cowards trying to ruin someone's day by writing mean comments. These are actual people who strongly hate a race and feels they are not American.  They are not the only ones. Even though they are a minority there are many people like that in parts of America. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

shweta2728

boreddamsel

IF-Rockerz

boreddamsel

Posted: 17 September 2013 at 8:42pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Aarya-

In India, a white girl might have a better chance of winning than Nina. 

"In a nutshell, what Indians are saying (many openly and some with chagrin) is that Davuluri is too dark, too dusky, for the conventional standards of Indian beauty. In India a light skin""fair" is the word most Indians deploy in the vocabulary of beauty"is prized in women, and lightness of skin is elevated above all other facial features as a signifier of beauty. It matters not one whit that Davuluri's physiognomy is immensely pleasing to the eye, that her smile could light up a small cricket stadium, that her lustrous hair is a thing to marvel at, because her epidermis is far too many shades removed from "fairness" for her to be considered beautiful. This matter is, in the Indian dialectic of beauty, nonnegotiable."

Edit ... I just realized that this article might have been totally irrelevant here. Sorry! Tongue 
Just thought it was interesting. 

Come to think of it, Priyanka Chopra has a dark skin tone than most beauty queens right? 

Edited by boreddamsel - 17 September 2013 at 8:56pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Rehanismshweta2728zephyr29

Post Reply New Post

Go to top