Chat Clubs

Congratulations, Miss America (First Indian Descent)!

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 14

Page 1
Page   of 14
Page 2 Page 14

Cutiepie Rani

IF-Stunnerz

Cutiepie Rani

Posted: 16 September 2013 at 11:39am | IP Logged
So not sure if you guys have heard about the news or not, but last night Miss. New York was crowned Miss. America. So what's the big deal you may ask? The winner, Nina Davuluri, is of Indian Descent. She is the first Indian American to be crowned the title of Miss. America. For our Indian community, that is something huge and something we all should take pride in!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the first time America's top beauty queen is a woman of Indian origin, a first partly clouded by a spate of hateful Tweets branding her an Arab terrorist.

The new Miss America is Nina Davuluri, a 24-year-old from the state of New York who wants to be a doctor.

She called her crowning Sunday night at the Atlantic City pageant, in which she performed a traditional Bollywood-style dance, a victory for diversity in America.

"It was the first time Bollywood has been performed on the Miss America stage. It's an honor for myself and my community," Davuluri told ABC television Monday morning.

"Halfway through, I just started crying because you know, it was such an incredible experience being on that Miss America stage," she said. "It was so meaningful and powerful."

Davuluri was beaming despite a spurt of racist tweets about her.

"I have to rise above that," she said at a news conference Sunday night after being crowned. "I always viewed myself as first and foremost American."

While many American saluted Davuluri's victory, some online commenters described the beauty queen, who is believed to be a practicing Hindu, as an Arab who looks like a terrorist.

One user said "It's called Miss America. Get outta here New York you look like a terrorist. #bye #americanforamerica."

A person who apparently tweeted from Kansas wrote, "Are you serious??!!! The Arab wins??!!! This is miss AMERICA!!! Not miss Arabia!!! Miss Kansas is in the army and is a country girl!!! C'mon."

Others, like the Jezebel feminist blog, denounced the comments, saying "racists are being racist because Miss America isn't white."

"This world is so ignorant. #MissAmerica Indian or not had every right to gain the title of MissAmerica. This is why I want to leave America!" chimed in @CJlovebug.

Davuluri competed on the platform issue of "celebrating diversity through cultural competency."

"I'm so happy this organization has embraced diversity," she said at the news conference. "I'm thankful there are children watching at home who can finally relate to a new Miss America."

During her 2014 year of service as Miss America, she will travel extensively to speak to audiences about her chosen issue.

The University of Michigan honor student will also serve as the official national goodwill ambassador for the children's charity group Children's Miracle Network Hospitals.

Along with her much-prized title, Davuluri won a $50,000 scholarship to pursue her education.

-----------------------

Nina, we are proud of you! Haters gonna hate!

The following 139 member(s) liked the above post:

ushakiran patelSkill123pradipdap8412sunshineswirlarshi__foreverrsjpFawn1rezwana12DuumpskashevKushalFan-SimturnonthelightsiluvrainaartisarahehsanRintintopez08bunny22Sarunarshiymachar13anatomy_nerd-Miss.Ruble--Have.a.dream-kalyani_shiva_Deepika_TeriGalliyan.-Swetha-PutijaChalhov.Karam.Deewani.DemonStarmunnihyderabadSpunkyTigressABCDesiGirl93pinkybediILoveDramapadmavarapril12AshaNegiFanmuzzy_skhetvi.ipkknd-Rambler-VIRMANbest-Inferno-Rajeshree53I-Told-U-SodivyabelleHamariAduriKahnAishahh_24Angel-Jot.-VishaD-BilliCat.Yuvika_15hopper_oceanKhotaSikaShreyaIshrafan11*mystic.moon*sparikhvenSunriseGreenvacchiiJESNIAshweta2728sb1410--Sarunholic--.BumbleBee.SS88SilentShadow-Crazy..Life-zephyr29honey-sweetySanayaIsBesttheloupgarouxnaughtymallu...Tanu...-Raichu--Dreamer--misty--love-Kranu-Spell0fJoykaatayani-Garima-sreevijayanmanikkachahaat.basket_101sigridTINA!prc_fan1krati5Manali_IamGCian.AbhIyalicious.--Saina--|Persephone|-BolNaHalke-soni595pallavi25scarletteblueAASUSradev24iluvOriginalsVarunKiBiwiSanDhirholic.BElieveYOUrselfLooteri_DulhanLittle_Mermaid.-Alina.Magical_KaSh.BadtameezBrat.DushtDanaf.suj01Mariaa.RD-Dynamite-Piya_Malikennishet-himu-JohnyLovesSanzaartipartyySaiSAndromeda001thulasi_arshiMisHumptyDumptyNithiya95Barbiedoll_sonariyya6snowflake.riti4uindian_beautywhiterose29-Araina-.Dulcetharshdb-wintergreen-SilentSilver-AquaMermaiden-.Glyceriene.spvd-RohitMaxwell-.shinchan.thambu

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Congratulations, Miss America (First Indian Descent)!" in Chat Clubs forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Cutiepie Rani

IF-Stunnerz

Cutiepie Rani

Posted: 16 September 2013 at 11:40am | IP Logged
Her performance video for the talent hunt:

The following 39 member(s) liked the above post:

Fawn1bunny22topez08imraveenapreity4lyfeTeriGalliyan.-Swetha-ABCDesiGirl93Rajeshree53.BumbleBee.poo_jipkknd_hazel*mystic.moon*vacchii.AbhIyalicious....Tanu...theloupgarouxMs.ChandnisigridTINA!-BolNaHalke--himu-Andromeda001SaiSaartipartyyMagical_KaSh-Alina..BadtameezBrat.VarunKiBiwiiluvOriginalsradev24AASUSSilentSilverindian_beauty-wintergreen-harshdb.Glyceriene.spvdthambu

-RohitMaxwell-

IF-Addictz

-RohitMaxwell-

Posted: 16 September 2013 at 11:44am | IP Logged
Congratulations Party

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

.BumbleBee.SaiSCutiepie Rani

-krrish-

IF-Dazzler

-krrish-

Posted: 16 September 2013 at 11:46am | IP Logged
congratulations

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

SaiSCutiepie Rani

-RohitMaxwell-

IF-Addictz

-RohitMaxwell-

Posted: 16 September 2013 at 11:48am | IP Logged
i hope she handles all the negativity around her with maturity.. she is unlucky that she has to face this from the begining of her career... All the best :)

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

TeriGalliyan.VIRMANbestShelly1026--Saina--SaiS-himu-Cutiepie Rani

theloupgaroux

IF-Rockerz

theloupgaroux

Posted: 16 September 2013 at 11:49am | IP Logged

No wonder about the racist tweets. LOL How could they really accept a not so white beauty queen? :P

But we are so proud of you, Nina. Approve Keep rocking and congratulations! 

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-VIRMANbestRajeshree53Yuvika_15prc_fan1--Saina--...Tanu...-BolNaHalke-aartipartyySaiS-himu-Cutiepie Rani

TINA!

IF-Rockerz

TINA!

Posted: 16 September 2013 at 11:50am | IP Logged
congrats to herBig smile

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Rajeshree53-himu-SaiSCutiepie Rani

SaiS

IF-Sizzlerz

SaiS

Posted: 16 September 2013 at 11:55am | IP Logged
Congratulations Nina Davuluri