Debate Mansion

Why LK Advani always had to take backseat?

atominis thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
LK Advani is such a senior leader and if I am not mistaken he is among the chief builders of BJP.

I wonder why was he never able to become the PM himself? Why did he have to announce AB Vajpayee as the Prime Ministerial candidate in 1998?

Even now he is asked to announce Modi's name.

It is understandable now because he is too old and perhaps won't have the connect with the populace.

But why was he never able to attain the top position which he so aspired for?

I request members to please enlighten me on LK Advani as a politician and a leader and his failings (especially their causes).

For all his leadership and being called Lohpurush was he never able to attain the ultimate position?

Also, I know this is another debate in itself, but do you think Advani has been a weakness for BJP now? Is he doing more harm than good for the party?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
he's an idiot.

He did build the party in the late 80's and nineties, and even did the babri masjid demolition and later in 1998 or so said it was the saddest day of his life, which made all the people who did the demolition get angry. anyway he had a chance in 1996 but then gave it to vajpayee, and by the time bjp govt was over in 2004 and vajpayee retired, he decided to be the pm candidate. Thing is, the bjp did such a goot job in building up the economy's fundamentals, the congress govt enjoyed the 2004 to 2007 economy and even got through 2008 crisis, so he lost. also he had called jinnah secular, and decided to not bother abt ram janmabhoomi and the rss backed away, and bjp got only 116 seats.he was an old looking man besides who coudlnt speak with vigour. And when modi's rise + congress hate happened, he was totally out of the picture.

So he will NEVER be pm, and thats the end of it.

BirdieNumNum thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

it's his personality, all zero that way. You got to be likable to win, at least not come across as a sourpuss. He's like the anti-social silicon valley nerd who needs a sales guy to sell him.😆.

i think he got hounded by the BJP for visiting Jinnah's tomb in Pakistan and calling him secular.  I think he's partially right on that score. Jinnah was as secular as Nehru.😛 

[As an aside- i think both were self-serving politicians... If you read Freedom At Midnight, you'd read accounts from the British authors of how the partition might have never happened if the british knew that Jinnah was dying. The guy who hid that fact from the world was Jinnah's hindu doctor. Some irony]

i also fault the BJP for flip-flopping on important reforms/ policies. They were for many of the recent reforms when they were in power, until they  turned in opposition. Of course, the congress too has flipped.  In that fregard, I dont buy into the "inclusive" model of growth that is touted as an alternative- that's the kind of policy that has made India into the largest welfare state in the world, and will eventually make beggars out of everyone. 

my biggest reason for wanting Modi is that he can rule with a firm hand, and will be pro-growth. In the long-run that will be good for all Indians. At least that's the hope. Am totally bummed out withf the looting and the wealth and opportunities lost... Would also like to see every Indian treated equally, with perhaps the only criteria for welfare schemes being how poor someone is, not what caste/ religion they come from 

just rambling now, but i think Advani does not offer any hope. He's too plugged in into the existing state of affairs. I am sure the BJP also has their fair share of scams and they probably have a gentleman's agreement with congress to loot and let loot... you scratch my back, i scratch yours... as long as someone does not double cross in which case they send the CBI after you... Advani is a part of that old boys network... I'd even have gone with Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi party if it offered any hope of winning, but Kejriwal frittered away the good-will by shooting all over the place. He should have focused on just one or two scumbags, not all of them...

basically i dont see Advani as offering any USP in terms of ideas, economic policy etc... Guy can hardly talk, hardly walk. We had one robot already in MMS, another one the system cant handle. ðŸ˜†

enigmatic_zephy thumbnail
Originally posted by: mr.ass

he's an idiot.

So he will NEVER be pm, and thats the end of it.

This should suffice TM ðŸ˜†
Bazigar thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Skepblun

LK Advani is such a senior leader and if I am not mistaken he is among the chief builders of BJP.

I wonder why was he never able to become the PM himself? Why did he have to announce AB Vajpayee as the Prime Ministerial candidate in 1998?

It is understandable now because he is too old and perhaps won't have the connect with the populace.

I request members to please enlighten me on LK Advani as a politician and a leader and his failings (especially their causes).

For all his leadership and being called Lohpurush was he never able to attain the ultimate position?

Also, I know this is another debate in itself, but do you think Advani has been a weakness for BJP now? Is he doing more harm than good for the party?

1. Regarding 1998 :
Advani is the main driving force to convert from 2 seats to what is BJP today.  He is the main organiser of Ram janmabhoomi which polarise then India and create a vicious cycle of riots in between 1989 to 1992. The religious fanatics politics, laced with then breaking of opposition janata dal and corruption in congress paved the way for more number of seats. He was the hard line hindutva face in BJP and vajpayee was the liberal face . Advani reffered as Lauha purusha and vajpayee as vikas purush by BJP. 

Two main factors : 

This same lauha purush thing which is boon in his party became the bane for him when there was the question of PM in a NDA coalition government . As he was the main perpetrator of 1992 and as a hard line hindutva face he was not acceptable for then coalition partner as PM. The other thing is he was mired in cases like hawala case and conspirator of babri demolition case. So he became the Home minister later became Deputy prime minister with an eye for PM after vajpayee . Inspite of india shining campaign with carrying 2002 riots, BJP lost 2004 so also dream of pm  of both  vajpayee and advani. 

2. After the loss of 2004 vajpayee mostly withdrew himself from active politics. Advani became leader of opposition. To reinvent his image and be acceptable in between all coalition partners in future , he gave a statement as secular jinha in 2005.  In the desire of reinventing his image he lost the identity of hindutva face infront of RSS leaders , cadres . Simultaneously modi slowly took over that position which advani bear earlier.  UPA  reelected in 2009 and advani lost chance. The CM he saved from all criticism in 2002 took over the position he once carry in BJP party and its organisation , he looks liberal infront of modi, his protege now took over his positon and the irony is the so called lauha purush melted away in front  of his own party . 
Edited by ramjaane - 10 years ago
charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Now how can I miss a Skep topic! 

LKA along with AB Vajpayee was instrumental in building up the the party that BJP today really is. This man at his prime was a task man , he capitalized on the internal strife post emergency and ofcourse the Babri Masjid . His Rath yatra gave him a larger than life figure within the RSS-VHP cadre. But that image has probably been a boon for his party and a bane for him.

1994 , he had to announce AB Vajpayee as the PM candidatesimply because , AB had a secular image, he was a popular leader with a reach which transited religions. Also it was the birth of the coalition era , where BJP had to tow the line with many third front parties who were more open to the idea of AB Vajpayee. Hence the big Advani sacrifice. If I remember correctly wasn't he implicated on Hawala charges in 1996 and he declared that he won't contest elections till his name was cleared. Irrespective of his role as the ultimate strategist for BJP, he suffered from the growing stature of Vajpayee among the masses. And when in 2004, they lost the elections , it kind of closed doors on his chances of getting the ultimate prize. I think he was promised the PM seat from time to time and was kept at bay for a long time. Now he is just acting like a petulant child , who unfortunately noone is going to indulge in. Ironically, he probably established BJP as the right winger and an alternative to Cong but he could never shed this image to grab the top prize.

Lets see how Modi scores where LKA failed to make any mark?
mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
desh ka neta kaisa ho?

Narendra Modi Jaisa Ho!!!!!
Rehanism thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: BirdieNumNum

i think he got hounded by the BJP for visiting Jinnah's tomb in Pakistan and calling him secular.  I think he's partially right on that score. Jinnah was as secular as Nehru.😛 

This is slightly off topic, but I would like to know what's your definition of being secular. Because most historians would agree with the fact that Jinnah was one of the most secular leaders of India. He was thus a vocal opponent of Gandhi's 'spiritualizing' politics in the 1920s. Even if you study his later years when he was actively clamouring for Pakistan, he never hinted it as an Islamic theocracy (nor did he ever attempt to Islamize India, unlike the Deobandi mullahs who stayed back) - but as a pragmatic solution to the fears of right wing Hindu domination in an independent India.

And the same goes for Nehru as well. Nehru too remained wary of Gandhi's religiosity and was more inclined towards the left. Had it not been for him, and ofcourse Ambedkar, India's constitution and the Hindu code bills would have never been a reality. Nehru, in my opinion, was the only leader of independent India who understood and pioneered secularism in its true essence.
Originally posted by: Skepblun

He's a flip-flopper. That's his biggest down point. Running off to Pakistan and heaping "secular" laurels on Jinnah squandering his earlier hardliner stance and abandoning the RJ cause. Plus, he was seen as way too radical back in 1998---Rath Yatras et al. He propped up Vajpayee for his own party's sake. 
I'd like to quote a dialogue from a flop movie---"Confusing images kisiko bhi pasand nahi". ðŸ˜›
Edited by krystal_watz - 10 years ago