Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ms.SK thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago
I trained in sword fighting for Buddha's role: Himanshu Soni

NOTE: this article is a copy of the above article (on page 5)
Edited by Ms.S.K. - 10 years ago
Ms.SK thumbnail
Mahadev's original Parvati refuses female lead in Buddha twice!

Mahadev's original Parvati refuses female lead in Buddha twice!
Sonarika

Sonarika Bhadoria, who earlier played Parvati in Devon Ke Dev Mahadev and was recently replaced, was approached to play the lead role ofYashodhara in the TV show Buddha, but she refused.

She says, "I was approached twice by them to play the lead role, but unfortunately, I had to turn it down. I do not want to get slotted in similar roles. After playing Parvati I am offered similar roles but I am focusing on a career in films. If that ambition does not work out, I will think of doing television."

Ms.SK thumbnail
Rishina Kandhari bags Buddha & Aankh Micholi!

Rishina Kandhari bags Buddha & Aankh Micholi!
Rishina KandhariMore Pics
It seems like lady luck is smiling on Rishina Kandhari as the actress has bagged two shows on the same channel.

A source says, " Rishina Kandhari, last seen inCID and Devon Ke Dev Mahadev has baggedBuddha and Khelti Hai Zindagi Aankh Micholion Zee TV."

" Rishina will essay Sanjay's (Manav Gohil) sister in Aankh Micholi while she will play a pivotal character in Buddha," said a source.

When contacted, Rishina confirmed, " Yes, currently I am shooting for Khelti Hai...and will be doing Buddha as well."

Way to go Rishina!

Ms.SK thumbnail

edited

Edited by Ms.S.K. - 9 years ago
Proud-India thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Buddha is a 10 years journey for me, and for Mr. B.K. Modi it is a 30 years journey - Ridhwana, Creative Producer, Buddha

Can you imagine the feeling when one lives a dream' for as long as 10 years and sees it getting fulfilled? - Is it goose bumps when you see your baby' come out of the dreams to take its rightful place in the world? Or is it a smile that ends up in never-ending tears owing to the sheer joy and excitement?

Aah, this is how Ridhwana feels when she sees her own baby' get its due in the world of television, both in India and overseas. What are we talking about?

Well, we are talking about Spice Studios' splendid, larger than life and out-of-the world presentation on television, Buddha on Zee TV.

Ridhwana, Creative Producer and Co-Producer, Buddha has been associated with the making of Buddha from the year 2004 and was literally the first person to be hired by DR B.K. Modi. When in her teenage, Ridhwana had a liking for acting, and did try it out at few auditions. But destiny had something else in store for the bright talent.

Here's Ridhwana pouring her emotions out as she talks of her dream, future goals in an exclusive talk with Tellychakkar.com.

How is it that you were chasing this dream of making Buddha for 10 long years?

Well, in the year 2004 I started my career as Assistant Director to Shekhar Kapur. In fact, Spice Studios had hired Shekhar to make a film on Buddha. And I got a call from Spice for my very first interview. I still remember the date - it happened on 26 January 2004, on our Republic Day and I was the first person to get on board B.K. Modi's team to make Buddha. I worked with Shekhar for a good two and half years wherein I gained production experience and developed my creative skills too. Even though the experience was good, the film did not happen for lot many reasons. Then when Shekhar went on to make the movies Queen Elizabeth and its sequel The Golden Age I was part of his team. After this, Shekhar walked away and I continued with Mr. Modi. Post this, Mr. Modi shifted me to Singapore where I was working as well as doing a course in mass media. And in the year 2010, Mr. Modi got me back to Mumbai to make the film on Buddha again, this time with Ashutosh Gowarikar. However, this effort got shelved as we did not get the right boy to play Buddha even after going through a vast audition process. I can say that, I had a tough journey as I faced two setbacks with the group, and it hit me hard since I was close to the project.

After this came the phase where I put in one year into thinking, absorbing and developing the right thought. This was the time that the boom in TV started and the small screen started to gain much of viewership than films. So we made the right move. Mr. Modi and the Chairman of Zee TV, Mr. Subhash Chandraji talked in length about the subject and since both were passionate about Buddhism, the thought of making Buddha on TV started to turn into reality. I then took over the team, sometime in April last year (2012) and hired the right people to work on this vast project. And today to see Buddha with 9 episodes already on air gives me a fruitful feeling. To tell you, I have been connected with each and every thing of this show

- whether it be every scene, dialogue, word. It is a 10 years journey for me and for Mr. Modi this is actually a 30 years dream. Today, I can say that I made his dream come true. I am very sincere, passionate towards my work. I have personally looked into casting the male and female leads on the show. I have been fully involved in the look, costume, jewelry and it is too overwhelming to see it on screen.

Every dream can be visualized, but to put into effect every minute thing is an uphill task. Tell us about the struggles.

As a Creative Producer, I was happy that I had the leverage of having enough budget in my hands. I planned on spending the right amount of money on the set, on costumes and jewelry, on artists. Anything that went below the line of control was managed and we were impartial when it went above the line. In simple words, we left no stones unturned in bringing Buddha for the first ever time on Indian TV. And the efforts put in to bring the desired effects have been commendable. I have a 60 people in-house team and I have seen to it that I have sat with them personally to discuss the scenes, direction and all other intricate details. The idea was to make the product very international with no compromises whatsoever. And now that we have achieved it, I can say that we have been able to meet with all standards by selecting the right people with right ideas. I can clearly tell you that Buddha is the most expensive show ever launched on Indian TV. We have very sensible Directors and light men who understand our perspectives and depth.

Now that Buddha is launched, how do you plan to take the idea forward?

Well, work is on in terms of syndication. We plan to make home videos of Buddha so that the product reaches the family rooms of houses. The idea is to have eight to ten episodes in one pack. As of now, talks are on with one or two home video organizations.

Tell us about the manner in which you zeroed in on Himanshu Soni to play Buddha?

Aah, we have done enough research to get a clear picture of Buddha. The very fact that Shekhar (Kapur) wanted to cast Orlando Bloom to play Buddha in the movie gave us a clear picture of how Buddha should be. Orlando's blue eyes, calm personality, curly hair, were pointers enough. Also, through research we found out that Buddha had 32 characteristics in him, and we looked for all these in our guy. Finally, we shortlisted two guys to play Buddha and sent both of them for a course in Viparshana. The idea was that they collect as much as calmness, depth and thoughts through the learning. And Himanshu I must say, had a complete transformation in personality after this. He worked extremely hard, got very humble, learnt dialogues, martial arts, taichi and all other stuff. In fact, he locked himself up in a room for 4-5 months to get into the character and work hard. When both the chairmen (Mr. Modi and Mr. Subhash Chandraji) looked at his auditions, they were impressed as he was well-suited to play Buddha.

Tell us about making the vision of your larger than life sets a reality...

Aah, the credit for this goes to our set designer Varsha Jain. When we hired her we got to know that she was also involved in the sets of Oh My God as Art Director. And for Buddha, she knew what we exactly wanted - a western look which is very realistic. Unlike daily soaps where prominence is given to interiors, we had to work on exteriors like the look based on Himalayas and many other things as per our research. I would say, Varsha took our dream beyond our expectations by giving us a fabulous set. She built an amphitheatre for Siddharth to do his martial arts, a temple, a basti etc in the 3.5 acres land in Film City. Our set is huge, something you would not have imagined. The one-liner given to Varsha was rich and luxury' and she justified it by making a set that was aesthetic.

Coming to the numbers, guess your efforts have not resulted in big numbers?

Yes, I know that the numbers have not been supportive. But we are working towards pushing it. Every episode of Buddha is entertaining and we want more and more people to see it. We pass a message at the end of every episode to people with a vision that it will appeal to everybody who watches the show once. The idea is that if one watches it once, he will be glued to it. Above all, this is the first time that a show is ever made on Buddha in India and we want people to understand this fact. We have been very truthful to our work and have not compromised on quality anywhere. I am sure that Buddha will be successful with time. Having said this, TVTs are not the only way to justify quality and viewership. Zee TV has been very supportive in the efforts put in and as a team we are completely determined to move ahead. TVTs take in too many parameters. Ours is a Sunday morning weekly show and this needs to be considered too. We have made the show with a right intention to show the people the world of Buddha. Trust me, the subject is very tough and has not been aired by any producer or channel so far.

What kind of feedback that you and Mr. Modi have received personally for Buddha?

People who know Spice Studios and Mr. Modi and even my friends all over America in Chicago, New York, Dubai etc say that the show looks splendid. They in fact send me pictures to tell me that they have watched the episodes. They love the quality of the show and the production values. The best part is that all are convinced with the face of Buddha in Himanshu Soni. Every single aspect of his is so on par with the character. Himanshu is an extremely balanced person, hard-working and has it in him to be a different person as and when he steps into the set or is with us for meetings.

So what are the goals for future?

Well, we need to go on with our dream of making Buddha and take it to the 52 episodes mark (series is a 52 episodes show). Also, my passion to making a film on Buddha goes on, and I will surely be driven to make it.

So is the film on Buddha on cards?

Well, yes, at least it is in our minds. The script is ready and we are now looking for the right director. Let's see how it goes with time.

We all know that Buddha is the most expensive show ever made on Indian TV. Can you help us with some figurative details regarding the cost?

Well, I will not be able to tell you this. All I can say is that it will be about a crore for each episode.

What other plans Spice Studios harbour?

We will be working towards making films. Of course we are looking at more work on TV too. Our genres will be more on the historical and political front.

And what about the future goals of Ridhwana?

(Smiles) I am only 31, and I am still learning. The day I complete the 52 episodes of Buddha I will feel relieved. As far as future goes, I want to pursue my studies in London.

You have had a long association with Mr. B.K. Modi. So what kind of a rapport do you share with him?

Yes, we have a great rapport and he trusts and believes in me. In fact, many people do come up to me and ask me whether I am related to him. My answer is a No'. He always makes it a point to give me creative freedom and allows me to put my views and respects them. On the whole, he takes all the creative calls. And he places immense trust in me when it comes to production, creativity, finances, marketing.

As a parting statement, what do you want to tell viewers?

See, this is my first ever interview (we are indeed thankful to Ridhwana for talking to Tellychakkar.com) and as I speak to you, you will not believe that I am having goose bumps and am getting very emotional. It has been a 10 years journey for me, and whenever I see a single scene of Buddha, I am completely overwhelmed. I would only want to tell the loyal viewers that we need people's support to make this dream of ours a big success.

Ms.SK thumbnail

edited

Ms.SK thumbnail

edited

Proud-India thumbnail

No duplicate for "daring" Himanshu "Buddha" Soni

24 year old Jaipur boy, Himanshu Soni, who currently shoulders the monumental responsibility of essaying Buddha on Zee TV (Spice Studio), is indeed, a braveheart. Recently, he was required to shoot a sequence wherein he, as Prince Siddharth, attends the swayamwar of the beautiful princess Yashodhara in the hope of winning her hand in marriage. For this scene, he had to engage in a physical brawl with a very burly giant of a man to prove his might and thereby his worthiness as a suitor to Yashodhara. Unfortunately, barely two days before the shoot of this elaborate sequence, Himanshu fell off a horse in the middle of a shot, badly bruising his hands.

With the actor having injured himself and in severe pain, the crew decided it was time to look for a duplicate of Himanshu (a man who closely resembles the actor) to shoot the wrestling sequence. Given that a large portion of the fight sequence would have Himanshu tightly clasping the hands of his hefty opponent and the two struggling, stumbling and wrestling it out, there was no way Himanshu would be able to pull it off with his severely bruised palms.

But Himanshu put his foot down and insisted on shooting the sequence himself. He said, "I didn't come from Jaipur to Mumbai with stars in my eyes only to let a body double shoot important sequences of the show I have landed after so much struggle. I am here to give it my best shot, so that people remember me as Buddha long after the serial goes off air. A little pain cannot stop me from doing my job."

That's the spirit, Himanshu!!!

Proud-India thumbnail

"I am totally a movie buff" - Gungun Uprari

TellyBuzz brings to you the Filmy Friday Column with Gungun Uprari who is a movie buff and wants to be a part of the film Black'

TellyBuzz brings to you the Filmy Friday column which is dedicated to 'Celebs and their craze for movies.' This week we got in touch with Gungun Uprari who is currently seen in SAB TV's popular show Jo Biwi Se Kare Pyaar.

Let's see what Gungun has to share with us regarding her love for movies...

Do you love watching movies?

I love watching movies very much. I am totally a movie buff.

How many times do you go to watch a movie in theatre?

I try and go to watch all the recent released movies in theatre.

Which is your favorite movie?

Blood Diamond

Quick Fire-

Romantic Movie - Jab We Met

Comedy Movie - Chupke Chupke

Action Movie - Krrish 3

A movie which you are planning to go and watch in theatre?

Ram-Leela

If given a chance which would be the movie that you would love to be a part of?

Black and would love to play the character of Rani Mukherjee.

A producer you want to work with?

Rajkumar Hirani

An actor you would love to work with?

Shah Rukh Khan

Krishma Solanki

Proud-India thumbnail

Buddha' faced issues in Nepal for hurting sentiments!

😛
Buddha' faced issues in Nepal for hurting sentiments!
Himanshu Soni as Buddha
B.K.Modi's dream project Buddha-The enlightened, aired on Zee TV has over the time caught everyone's attention.

For the uninitiated, Buddha, a vision of producer-B.K. Modi almost took years to go on floors and now it seems like their long wait has paid off. Sources says that the show has been appreciated globally and has received admiration letters from almost 25 Global Buddhist organizations.

Buddha is a global subject: B.K.Modi

Now that the show has been highly praised globally, fame always comes with a price tag. The show has faced some issues for hurting sentiments of people residing in Nepal.

The makers are though trying their best to narrate the story in a way that doesn't hurt anybody's sentiments. Sources say that there was some problem faced in Nepal by the makers for hurting sentiments concerning Dr. Ambedkar.

However, the producers are taking caution to avoid such circumstances by following various books on Dr. Ambedkar.

Jaipur boy Himanshu Soni to play Buddha

Stating on the same, creative-producer Ridhwana said, "There were problems that we faced but we always try to give and narrate the real story without hurting anyone's sentiments."

"On the other hand, we have recently received appreciation letters from 25 Global Buddhist organizations for making such a beautiful project," adds Ridhwana.

Buddha is a 52 episodes series and is slotted to go off air by 31st August 2014.