Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

supercool3

Viewbie

supercool3

Nonchalant CC Captain

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 9:46pm | IP Logged
"Intha mugam, intha udal, en penmai ... ethayum naan thernthu edukala ... Sowmya nu per kooda thernthu edukala. Kanavan ah mattum yen thernthu edukanum?" 
(I didn't choose my face, my body or my feminity. I didn't choose my name either. So why should I choose my future husband? - Sowmya)

"Yen mudhal padam direct pannathuku apparama thaan kalyanam" 
(I'll only get married after successfully directing my first film - Manohar)

"Enaku minnal, mazhai, puyal ... ellam venum. Adhula irunthu oruthar devan pola porapattu varuvaaru
(I want the lightning, rain and tornado mixed together. A divine man will emerge from all this to come and take me - Meenakshi)

"Maranatha vida mosamanathu ennathu nu theriyuma? Maraka padurathu
(Do you know what's worse than death? To be forgotten - Captain Bala)

The dialogues above, said by the 4 different characters, describe their priorities and outlook towards life. Be it the simple Sowmya, the ambitious Manohar, the passionate Meenakshi, or even the bitter Captain Bala, I'm sure you would've been to identify yourself with one of them or even connect with all. 

Yet somewhere along the line, all discover that there's more to life than what they believe it to be and nothing is ever as clear as it initially appears. 

Mistakes are made, lessons are learned, and eventually one learns to evolve from it. We reach obstacles, we face it, and we manage to successfully drive past it. 

The movie selected for Retro Reel this week is none other than the 2000 romantic drama

Kandukondain Kandukondain

Which means, "I have found it"

Inspired from Jane Austen's novel Sense and Sensibility, Kandukondain Kandukondain revolves around the lives of two sisters, Sowmya (Tabu) and Meenakshi (Aishwarya Rai), their thoughts about love and life, their relationships with the men they love, and how their ideals change after a few twists and turns. While Sowmya and Manohar (Ajith Kumar) fall for each other, Meenakshi finally finds true love in the much older Captain Bala (Mamooty).

Sowmya is the older sister. Simple and quiet, she doesn't have many dreams and is usually happy with what she gets. However, after her fiance dies, she is labeled as being unlucky. Despite all that, she continues with her daily activies and looks after her family. She comes across Manohar, an aspiring film maker, and eventually they fall in love. Manohar's dream is to direct films and he's keen on getting married only after releasing his first film. Though everything seems sweet at first, their relationship takes a dark turn after a few misunderstandings. Sowmya's insecurities about her being "unlucky" are brought to the front and it affects her relationship with Manohar. She starts to avoid Manohar and any topic related to him. Though Manohar realizes what is happening, he is torn between his love for Sowmya and his dream. However, by the time his movie has released, he is more keen on proposing to Sowmya. As Manohar comes back to her, Sowmya learns that true love will look past all insecurities.

Meenakshi is the younger sibling, and is a total contrast to Sowmya. She is outgoing, fierce, and enjoys reading Bharathi's poems. Just like that, she also expects her ideal man to be like her and share similar interests. And this is when she comes across Srikanth, a businessman who seems to be everything Meenakshi has ever dreamt of. Sparks instantly fly and the two of them seem like the ideal couple. However, some revelations leads to a heartbreak for Meenakshi. Though she initially loses the will to live, she finds comfort in the form of a family friend, Captain Bala, who is secretly in love with Meenakshi but doesn't express it due to the age difference and because he's handicapped. Bala pulls Meenakshi out of her despair and encourages her to become a playback singer. Through this, Meenakshi learns love is all about caring and always supporting one another despite of the flaws. As her view about love matures, Meenakshi eventually understands Bala's unspoken love and reciprocates. 

After watching this film, you can't help but realize how apt the title is. Each character, especially Sowmya and Meenakshi, discover something that changes their views and priorities. By the end of the movie all characters have matured and their thoughts have been slightly altered. The process through which they reach that stage is beautifully shown by the director, Rajiv Menon. A smooth screenplay, thought-provoking dialogues, mind-blowing music, and other technicalities, make Kandukondain Kandukondain a film not to be missed at all !

Songs: Kandukondain Kandukondain, Enna Solla Pogirai

Edited by supercool3 - 08 September 2013 at 12:18am

The following 15 member(s) liked the above post:

Pallanguzhi.LovelyDreamer.PutijaChalhov-Swetha--Deepzz-ramyvijayvanadhi-Nakshatra--Raichu-.LionHeart.sahi.somergasm.Abommi-wintergreen--Nightingale-

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Retro Reel (September 8th) : I have found it" in Sensational South forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

sahi.

IF-Sizzlerz

sahi.

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 12:23am | IP Logged
Kandukondein Kandukondein is one of my favourite movies of Thala. Why this is favourite the screenplay of Rajeev Menon makes everything engaging.

Especially the pair and Ajith and Tabu is soulful, they both given a osum chemistry. I watched the film more than 30 times due to the powerful climax especially when Ajith and Tabu hugs each other that scene is a epic scene. Both their reaction are so powerful. Not to forget about Mammoty and Aishwarya Rai they both also perform their best.

Kandukondien Kandukondien is the fillm which won't forget that easy on tamil cinema. It will stay forever the treatment given to the film is epic. Not to forget A.R.Rahman music and bgm that is too good. CInematography and editign lift the film so up and Kandukondein Kandukondein have a great product due to all the cast performance and technicians support. All lift the movie too great.

Vikram also gave the dubbing to abbas, that time Abbas was pretty famous than Vikram but now eveyrthign is ulta Vikram and Ajith both become famous than Abbas.

Edited by Ravi. - 08 September 2013 at 12:22am

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

PallanguzhiPutijaChalhov-Swetha-.LovelyDreamer.-Deepzz-vanadhi.LionHeart.-Nakshatra--Raichu-Abommi-wintergreen--Nightingale-

.LovelyDreamer.

Coolbie

.LovelyDreamer.

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 12:38am | IP Logged

A movie which make me to watch over and over just for the chemistry between Ajith and Thabu..  I'm so in love with Thabu character and her idealogy.. Simple and sweet..   

I love Raguvaran character too.. Even he came just for few scenes.. He is just awesome..  

And not forgetten that  Grandpa who keep saying Uii.. Uii.. Uii nu.. 

and the climax scene where thabu cried and saying she is unlucky  and ajith begging her.. what a scene.. i always cry whenever watch that scene...

Kandukondein Kandukondein is a movie is full package of love, action, humor, sentimental and so on..  One shouldn't miss watch this movie...

Edited by .LovelyDreamer. - 08 September 2013 at 12:37am

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

Pallanguzhi-Swetha--Deepzz-vanadhi.LionHeart.-Raichu-sahi.Abommi

-Deepzz-

-Deepzz-

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 2:51am | IP Logged
Res

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Pallanguzhi-Swetha-

-Swetha-

Coolbie

-Swetha-

Posted: 08 September 2013 at 3:38am | IP Logged
Its one of my fav. Tamil movies. Embarrassed
Loved the chemistry & acting by Tabu & Ajit.
Ashwariya as does a good job as far as acting is concerned. Tongue

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Pallanguzhi.LionHeart.Abommi-wintergreen-

.LionHeart.

IF-Rockerz

.LionHeart.

Posted: 09 September 2013 at 9:25am | IP Logged
Oh Kandukondain Kandukondain is a fabulous film. Jane Austens books are just great but  I especially thought this one was good. Tackles some interesting characters and stories...loved this film. Casting was amazing. I've seen it so many times and get excited any time its on. Thanks for the review :) Feel like watching it now ! 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Pallanguzhi

-Nakshatra-

IF-Rockerz

-Nakshatra-

Posted: 09 September 2013 at 9:43am | IP Logged
KK is all about subtlety. This film has an Understated beauty in how they expressed it through actions rather than words. Manohar - Sowmya had wonderful moments. When he first proposes to her and the last scene between them was so so beautifully pictured. Awesome music by ARR. Love all the songs specially Enge enathu kavithai aww.. what lines! 
Got to love the way Mani uses dialogues in his movies...

Pallanguzhi

-wintergreen-

IF-Stunnerz

-wintergreen-

Posted: 10 September 2013 at 6:53am | IP Logged
Beautiful review. This is another one of my favourites,there is subtlety in the story telling and the actors have done a wonderful ,portraying their characters to perfection.The songs only add beauty to this film <33

Pallanguzhi

Post Reply New Post

Go to top