Book Talk

India-Forums

Coming-of-age tales?

LoveToLaugh Senior Member
LoveToLaugh
LoveToLaugh

BollyCurry Production Intern

Posted: 01 September 2013 at 2:42am | IP Logged
What are some truly great, inspiring coming-of-age books? I'd prefer a short description about the books, please?
Thank you! Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

epiphany.

Ribbon Groupbie
Ribbon
Ribbon

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 8:22am | IP Logged
Although I havent read these books, I have heard that The Perks of being a Wallflower and Catcher in The Rye are good. Maybe you should google it & check them out.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-Spree-LoveToLaugh

zephyr29 IF-Rockerz
zephyr29
zephyr29

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 12:19pm | IP Logged
I second Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. When you mention coming-of-age this is the most talked about book in that genre (if you could call it that). Its been a long time but I remember being so influenced by it when I first read it.

Here's a review of it from Goodreads:

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

Edited by zephyr29 - 06 September 2013 at 12:38pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-Spree-RibbonLoveToLaugh

zephyr29 IF-Rockerz
zephyr29
zephyr29

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 12:38pm | IP Logged
There are others as well like Perks of Being a Wallflower, Little WomenTo Kill a Mockingbird, A Separate Peace, The Fault in our Stars, I Capture the Castle, Anne of Green Gables, Never Let Me Go, Holes, On The Road.

These are the ones I can remember at the moment.

-Spree-LoveToLaughepiphany.

Ribbon Groupbie
Ribbon
Ribbon

Posted: 07 September 2013 at 6:49am | IP Logged
To Kill A Mockingbird is a must-read book. The book grows on you. On finishing the book, I realised that I had grown to love the characters. The story surrounds a strong sense of morality which the author disguises well behind the plot. I finally understood the meaning of the title after checking out a website on the internet.  

-Spree-LoveToLaughzephyr29

..Comrade4eva.. IF-Rockerz
..Comrade4eva..
..Comrade4eva..

Posted: 18 September 2013 at 2:45pm | IP Logged
The Fault in Our Stars is definitely amazing.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

LoveToLaughzephyr29

LoveToLaugh
LoveToLaugh

Posted: 19 September 2013 at 3:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Ribbon

To Kill A Mockingbird is a must-read book. The book grows on you. On finishing the book, I realised that I had grown to love the characters. The story surrounds a strong sense of morality which the author disguises well behind the plot. I finally understood the meaning of the title after checking out a website on the internet.  

Thanks for the recommendation. This particularly book has been recommended to me by so many people, I wonder why I never got around to reading it. I will, now. :)
LoveToLaugh
LoveToLaugh

Posted: 19 September 2013 at 3:20am | IP Logged
Originally posted by zephyr29

I second Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. When you mention coming-of-age this is the most talked about book in that genre (if you could call it that). Its been a long time but I remember being so influenced by it when I first read it.

Here's a review of it from Goodreads:

Since his debut in 1951 as The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield has been synonymous with "cynical adolescent." Holden narrates the story of a couple of days in his sixteen-year-old life, just after he's been expelled from prep school, in a slang that sounds edgy even today and keeps this novel on banned book lists. It begins,
"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth. In the first place, that stuff bores me, and in the second place, my parents would have about two hemorrhages apiece if I told anything pretty personal about them."

His constant wry observations about what he encounters, from teachers to phonies (the two of course are not mutually exclusive) capture the essence of the eternal teenage experience of alienation.

Thanks for the recommendation and for the short review as well. The starting paragraph is undoubtedly intriguing because you can sense it comes from an adolescent. You know with the David Copperfield kind of crap thing! LOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

zephyr29

Go to top