Amor. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 years ago
On June 21, 1576 (June 18 by other calculations), the two armies met at Haldighati, near the town of Gogunda in present-day Rajasthan. While accounts vary as to the exact strength of the two armies, all sources concur that the Mughal forces outnumbered Pratap's men.

However, the numerical superiority of the Mughal army and their artillery began to tell. Seeing that the battle was favouring Akbar and with the huge amount of death of soldiers on both sides, Pratap's generals prevailed upon him to flee the field so as to be able to fight another day. Myths indicate that to facilitate Pratap's escape, one of his lieutenants, a member of the Jhala clan, donned Pratap's distinctive garments and took his place in the battlefield. He was soon killed. Meanwhile, riding his trusty steed Chetak, Pratap was able to successfully evade captivity and escape to the hills. However, Chetak was critically wounded on his left thigh by a mardana (Elephant Trunk Sword), with spear of weight 263 kg. while Pratap had attempted to nail down the Mughal Emperor Akbar. Chetak was bleeding heavily and he collapsed after jumping over a small brook a few kilometres away from the battle field. A famous couplet narrates this incident of the battle:

Aage nadiya padi apaar, ghoda kaise utare paar Rana ne socha is paar, tab tak chetak tha us paar

English Translation :

Lies the boundless river ahead, How will the horse cross it? While Rana was thinking still on this side (of river), Chetak was that side!

It is said that Shakti Singh, Pratap's brother, who was fighting from side of Mughals, came to Pratap's side at this time and gave him his horse Unkar to escape, who also killed two Afghan horse riders, who had followed Pratap to the spot.

The battle of Haldighati has commanded a lasting presence in Rajasthani folklore, and the persona of Pratap Singh is celebrated in a famous folk song "O Neele Ghode re Aswar" (O Rider of the Blue Horse).

A monument to Chetak is at the site of the steed's death.

There is a famous folksong written on his life in Hills. "Are ghaas ri roti hi jad ban bilawdo le bhagyo".

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

debasree04 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Thanx for this info πŸ˜ƒ
Pari117 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Everytime i read this i end up crying. I'm proud of Maharana Pratap, a self made man who never bowed down to anyone.. But i wonder after this war where was shakti? Did he leave akbar completely and joined pratap? All such battles were mainly because of maan singh, a man who was not loyal to his motherland and allianed with mughals to be at safer side and was forcing all the other indian kings to join mughals
cherryberry293 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Tfs
Whenever I read this , I feel so proud and emotional at d same time...
Amor. thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
pleasure guyz Our history gave us so much atleast we can learn sum gud things from it 
NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Khrushi please get this added to history index  na😊Edited by Nandiniraizaada - 10 years ago
myviewprem thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: Pari117

Everytime i read this i end up crying. I'm proud of Maharana Pratap, a self made man who never bowed down to anyone.. But i wonder after this war where was shakti? Did he leave akbar completely and joined pratap? All such battles were mainly because of maan singh, a man who was not loyal to his motherland and allianed with mughals to be at safer side and was forcing all the other indian kings to join mughals

Yes he joined Pratap. Prince Salim(Jehangir) came to know truth that Shakti saved Pratap's life and he asked him to tell truth so Shakti confessed that he killed the mughal soldiers and saved Pratap as he could not stand and see his brother dying in front of his eyes. So Salim told him to leave the Mughal Court and go back to Pratap and did not arrest or tell Akbar about it(not sure why details not provided?).

Man Singh- I think this person was loyal to mughal only for his profit or may be because his aunt was Akbar's wife. I think Man Singh's sister(or daughter) was Jehangir's first wife Manmati Bai and mother of Khusrau. Man Singh was close adviser to Prince Salim till he started backing Khusrau to be emperor after Akbar. It was on Man Singh's and a few other friends advice that Salim raised a rebellion against Akbar and declared himself emperor in Allahabad.

I am very happy and proud that Maharan Pratap fought against mughals(apart from Malik Amber) in india  and they could not be defeated in many wars(his son amar singh fought 17 wars with mughals and was not defeated, only shah jahan's idea(or nur jahan's?) of holding Rajput women hostage and torturing them relentlessly for information about their armed forces made Amar singh relent to a peace treaty but still on his own terms that he will not appear in mughal courts like other kings). So am proud of both Pratap and his son Maharana Amar Singh.