Debate Mansion

Is the lack of education/awareness causing rape? (Page 9)

Post Reply New Post

Page 9 of 15

atominis

IF-Rockerz

atominis

Posted: 12 September 2013 at 9:24am | IP Logged
Originally posted by enigmatic_zephy

Have a question:
iN india, at present,

do you think its wrong if public nabs even one rapists and sets him on fire?

How I wish that happened!

But they lynch women by calling them characterless or witches rather than men.

Never heard of a man being lynched in a long time.

The leaders, thakurs and Sarpanches themselves are into raping so why would they gather a mob to lynch a rapist?

I say we should chuck human rights blabber and give such punishments to rapists only then fear will be instilled in men and they'll think twice before resorting to rape and brutality for "fun".

People are dead shameless now. In Kolkata, brother of a rape accused guy attacked the girl (who was raped) and cut her tongue so that she was unable to speak against his brother!

Women are rather attacked and cursed for speaking up and complaining!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

enigmatic_zephy

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is the lack of education/awareness causing rape? (Page 9)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 12 September 2013 at 9:37am | IP Logged

I think even in the case of attacking the rapist, citizen vigilante and mob violence is never the solution. It is always best to have an efficient legal system to address such matters. In the USA many innocent black men were killed in mobs for having consensual sexual relationships with white women - and the excuse was they are rapists. It happens in India too. If a guy from a different caste/community has sexual relationships with a girl, the girl's family calls it rape/seduction and sends lynch mobs after him.

Yeah, of course I wish that mobs would take the Delhi/Mumbai gang rapists and burn them alive. There is no harm to humanity in such actions. However, in the big picture, I doubt the intelligence and restraint of mob mentality - so I don't ever want citizen mob justice. In the long run, innocents suffer.  

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Rehanism

atominis

IF-Rockerz

atominis

Posted: 12 September 2013 at 10:03am | IP Logged
@Hades

You are right about mob justice being misused in India. Especially as they nowadays accuse Muslims of trapping Hindu girls with what they call "Love Jihad"!

Different caste and religious groups will misuse it to peddle their agenda of hate.

Efficient legal system is easier said than done in India. It will take them ages to be efficient.

Laws are useless and judges have misogynist tendencies too.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Rehanismenigmatic_zephy

-Aarya-

Goldie

-Aarya-

Posted: 12 September 2013 at 10:59am | IP Logged
Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

Originally posted by -Aarya-

^ In your opinion which type of people rape others, are they all sociopath, morally or ethically challenged or lack education...

great question. They are sociopaths for sure, bad deviants from normal behavior. But i dont think they are always uneducated. If they were, we would not have the concept of date rape that began in western universities.

Again, i think it comes down to any/ all of the following- feeling of entitlement (so they can force themselves if they want), entertainment (horny guys who cant get laid for the life of them plus thinking they can get away with it), punishment (eg. guys with big egos who cant take no for an answer, so need to punish etc)... These are common human failings, much too common to hope to eradicate in a hurry.Smile

True to some extend!

The real question still remains, can education prevent crime? In another words, let's assume we never lived in society or went to any school, would we have turned out different (meaning would we consider rape to be a norm)?

enigmatic_zephy

IF-Sizzlerz

enigmatic_zephy

Posted: 12 September 2013 at 11:05am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

I think even in the case of attacking the rapist, citizen vigilante and mob violence is never the solution. It is always best to have an efficient legal system to address such matters. In the USA many innocent black men were killed in mobs for having consensual sexual relationships with white women - and the excuse was they are rapists. It happens in India too. If a guy from a different caste/community has sexual relationships with a girl, the girl's family calls it rape/seduction and sends lynch mobs after him.

Yeah, of course I wish that mobs would take the Delhi/Mumbai gang rapists and burn them alive. There is no harm to humanity in such actions. However, in the big picture, I doubt the intelligence and restraint of mob mentality - so I don't ever want citizen mob justice. In the long run, innocents suffer.  

Two points to it..

1. The biggest problem, you say and I agree law should be the answer..but parliament is full of rapists..law will never be enacted in this country..y do u think it tuk them ages to punish the grl's rapists and that too with juvenile being set scottfree ( 3 yrs is a joke)..

You know supreme court ruled that people in jail cna't contest electons..what happened..in record 15 mintues, parliament passed the bill that people can contest...LOL

gangajal is a good example..i think of it not as mob mentality but as revolution...

public is intelligent to not stretch when it is not required..but yes I agree if burning happens, there might be collateral damage..

However these cases usually share similar snetiments across classes...and hence burning would probably have the right kind of impact..and not the mass killings..

riti4u

IF-Stunnerz

riti4u

Posted: 13 September 2013 at 6:42am | IP Logged
I dont think it is education but surely lack of moral values and lack of respect for women .

Beside above point i think weak laws in this country are responsible .More than that sometimes victims dont come out to report matter as in this country unfortunately more than accused being questioned , there are questions put to the victim . Number of reported cases is often seen less as total number of cases that occur in this country.

Then what can be solution.

- More than education, there is need for change in thinking . Women should not be seen as sex objects and should be given much needed respect . How to achieve it? . Well a person learns it from society he lives in.. Mothers ,Teachers as well as social medium itself can bring this change .

- Very Importantly there is need for stricter laws. You need to have strict laws and quick punishments in such cases and they should be highlighted in media so that other takes notice that indeed it is heinous crime and there will be some amount of fear .

McNinja

IF-Rockerz

McNinja

Posted: 13 September 2013 at 10:47am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Aarya-

The real question still remains, can education prevent crime? In another words, let's assume we never lived in society or went to any school, would we have turned out different (meaning would we consider rape to be a norm)?

Crimes have always been a part of our existence...we didn't exactly evolve from peaceful, upright hominids. I'm sure our "barbaric" ancestors killed and forced their will on other individuals or groups. People do the same today, even tough we live in a modern, post-renaissance era full of enlightened minds..or so they say. 

Can we exist in a world that has no religion, no social structure, no form of education or anything as such that would set standards for morality/proper social etiquette? I think these standards form regardless of how isolated we want to be from others...even in small families we can see accepted vs unaccepted behaviors unique to the given family. Wrong and right are usually instinctual for most, so one way or another, crimes would eventually be labeled as anomalies to the accepted norms. So no, I don't see how rape or any crime would be considered normal in such a scenario. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-Aarya-Diva-In-Armor

K.Universe.

Goldie

K.Universe.

Posted: 13 September 2013 at 5:18pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by shalini1323

So a 23 year old photojournalist got gang-raped in Mumbai today. What's going on with this country? Is it the lack of education/awareness - how a boy brought up at home, the morality (or lack of) that's cultivated since young? Is it the lack of fear - no fear of consequences or law? There is something severely disturbing in constant rape news every single day.  Horny men? Are these men or animals... is it an ego/empowerment issue... what do you think is the root cause behind all these alarming gang rape cases? 

Possibly these are the causes; possibly there are more. Unless we do a case by case study, it's hard to enumerate an exhaustive list of causes behind rapes.

And even if we manage to compile such a list, I am not sure if we could come up with viable solutions to each problematic cause.

Short of a "Minority Report" kind of a scenario, where offenders are apprehended based on foreknowledge of the crime, I doubt there is a cure-all for this crime (or any other crime for that matter). There are too many variables and too much free-will.

My best solution, which I already suggested in another thread, is mandatory "gene therapy" for all. Our technology is not there yet but the hope is one day we will be able to isolate the "bad" gene in us and fix it.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top