@jyoti18, Great post!!!
I too usually refrain from posting anything here as I don't want to get involved in fan fights (considering I am not too much of a fan of anyone). I like Shaan though - maybe because he is the only one I am really familiar with.
Let's say the show is not at all rigged and one of us can decide the winner. Who would that be?
- Somebody like Lauren who can really dance and dance extremely well. If that's the case, there's no need to have any competition. We can just hand over the trophy to her as in this lifetime, none of the other competitors can reach her level.
- Someone who shows the maximum growth - well that has to be someone like Shaan / Sid, the complete non-dancers because at whatever level they perform, it's going to be a huge improvement over the zero level they started from.
- Someone who entertains us more - that would then become extremely personal and there won't be any consensus possible as everybody's idea of entertainment is different. For some, watching their favorite TV star (DD) giving above average performances with great expressions is great entertainment, for some others it has to be Lauren's perfection, some find Sana's energy highly electrifying and then there are non dancers - it is hugely entertaining to me to watch some non dancers trying to do something weird on the floor (Srikanth / Sid)
- And of course there is popularity. How do you define the most popular? In sheer numbers (exposure, recognition), none of the contestents can come even remotely close to Shaan's popularity. Or one with max number of crazy fans (DD) whose number of fans is much smaller but they are totally in love with her (unlike Shaan's fans who might not care beyond buying his albums).
So, there are a number of criteria on basis of which winner can be decided and it's hard to come up with a winner that would please all. So, in the end, show would seem rigged to some who don't agree with the chosen criteria.
But the show does appear unfair because of few obvious reasons
1. Encouragement to regional voting - by trying to encash on regional (or professional) fan base, channel / show kind of miffs the other voters who feel it's an unfair advantage to some contestants. I remember while watching Indian Idol season 3, I used to be irritated as the final winner kept getting huge number of votes (both because of his regional appeal and his police background). But then, that's not rigging and not really unfair (as the show winner is to be decided on basis of votes).
2. Unfair promotion to the other shows airing on the channel. This one makes sense from professional point of view but it does give a lot of extra exposure / promotion to stars like DD / Sid who are starring in channel's shows.
3. Unfair judgement
- Judges are humans too (and can make genuine errors) and they might or might not have the directive to support some contestants over others. They also would be biased to contestants they are emotionally or professionally attached to (like Salman / Lauren / Puneet for Remo, maybe Shaan for Madhuri), they would be biased to the kind of performances they like (sensuous dancing for KJo
) or biased against someone who rubs them the wrong way (Mukti for Remo). To viewers, that too would seem like rigging.
Anyways, I don't think the channel would really cheat blatantly but they would try to support contestants who can help their cause by promotion to their other shows, getting more votes, making this show more popular (through choosing a widely appealing winner).
Edited by ruchisahay - 22 August 2013 at 9:16pm