Posted: 10 years ago

An Open Letter To Dhanush

By Martin D'Souza, Glamsham Editorial
Send to Friend

MARTIN D' SOUZA
Dear Dhanush, 

My introduction to you came with the massive hit 'Kolaveri D'. And it was not until a month later when everything around was 'Kolaveri D' that I asked what it was all about. I felt foolish, but then there is no harm in asking what you don't know, right? 

Till then, I had never heard the song; I thought it was some sort of a movement in a remote part in India. A social network friend sent some links as to what it really was. I was then glued to the video online. The craze was instant. The infection had spread. 

That monster of a hit got you a fan base in Mumbai and other parts of India other than the region you come from (where you were already famous). 

There was something about your gait and eyes in the posters ofRAANJHANAA that told me this movie would rock, big time. There was also something about your pairing with Sonam Kapoor. The two of you looked like real people. As I settled in for the press show, I asked a friend of someone from Eros International who had come for the screening, what the buzz was. In turn, he asked me what I thought. I told him, ''Honestly, I will be disappointed, if I am disappointed.'' 

I was not disappointed. In fact, I was mesmerized by your ability to tame the camera. I expected the movie to do well. But frankly, I never expected you to be so magnificent. From scene one, to the last take; you were consistent in your portrayal as the besotted Kundan who would go to any lengths to win the love of his Zoya. 

As an actor, you were simply marvelous, giving that genuine twist to the tale with your downright honesty in every scene. Here was an actor who had no six packs to flaunt. But your flexibility to mold to the mood of the moment was a delight. No six-pack would have done that for you. Moreover, you made wiry look sexy. No, it's not size zero, but size alright! 

You are not that conventional hero who goes about bashing baddies in a digitalized frenzy. Kundan was someone anyone could identify with. His love was genuine; his motives, though naive, sincere. 

With one song, you settled the issue in your favour. With a massive heart-warming performance, you have put the issue beyond doubt. I believe you are quite a star down south, with your performances winning several awards. I guess, you might have even surprised yourself with this cracker of a start in Bollywood. 

As the accolades come pouring in, I see you shyly accepting the praises with a bowed head. That is what is even more endearing. No swollen head. No pride in that posture. Sobered with success! 

That is how Sachin Tendulkar acknowledged his centuries early on in his career. It was only later that he flashed the full face of the blade and looked the camera in the eye. Till today, however, he does not go overboard in his celebration of reaching a milestone. For him, it is just another day in office. That is what has set him apart. 

For you too, it's just another day in office. And I guess you might be wondering what the fuss is all about. After all, you did what you were paid for and was expected to do! 

Stay that way always. The world loves a winner. But what the world loves even more is a winner soaked in humility.

Sincerely 

Martin D'Souza 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

A_la_mode thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I agree that he is a gr8 talent & will be appreciated in any language he acts in! 
MR.KooL thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
aajkal letters likhne ka season chal raha hain.
Kya.Bolta.Tu thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Apart from being in a movie and doing no acting,Katrina started the trend of open letters too.
Originally posted by: bollyd

I agree that he is a gr8 talent & will be appreciated in any language he acts in! 

very well said..
many ppl went wid low expectations from d film nd him, but widin 2 hrs, Dhanush changed their POV.. 
his biggest award is dat he is still in all d buzz nd news nd dats solely becos ppl r talking about his acting in a nonstop manner..
very few actors can achieve this..