Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

Why do we consume junk films like Chennai Express? (Page 8)

ViccoTurmeric IF-Sizzlerz
ViccoTurmeric
ViccoTurmeric

Posted: 19 August 2013 at 12:13pm | IP Logged
1. EVERY FILM NEEDS NOT TO BE SENSIBLE AND NEEDS NOT BE MADE FOR BRAINS

2. IT'S FINE TO EAT JUNK FOOD ONCE IN WHILE... NOTHING HARMFUL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

atominis

tina59 IF-Sizzlerz
tina59
tina59

Posted: 19 August 2013 at 12:18pm | IP Logged
That's why I completely avoid watching both srk, salman, akshay , kjo movies in the theater.
they are all crap with no substance whatsoever
wouldn't waste my money on them to make them more richer for dishing out such nonsense movies

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sunflower52chimchimcher-ee

OJ6.0 IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 19 August 2013 at 12:30pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.
Tani91 IF-Sizzlerz
Tani91
Tani91

Posted: 19 August 2013 at 12:33pm | IP Logged
Nothing wrong with masala films just as there's nothing wrong with "artsy" movies as well. A good movie is a good movie because it provides entertainment and as someone said before - escapism.

This article is a bit too forceful with how they present these "junk-films" and as many people pointed it out here - many people watch movies just to be entertained and they are perfectly fine at spending money at whatever they please.

I hate how these Hollywood obsessed pseudo fools think bollywood is all crap when Hollywood has their share of crap "masala" flicks too and they all marvel over how good those films are.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

atominis

atominis IF-Sizzlerz
atominis
atominis

Posted: 19 August 2013 at 2:32pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Bossman

Indian cinema will forever be stagnant until these 90's superstars are around. Atleast an Aamir will balance Ghajini with a TZP or a Dhoom 3 with a Dhobhi Ghaat and even Akshay whose been doing OMG and Sp 26 to compliment a Khiladi 786 but guys like SRK and Salman have rarely shown a passion for the arts or any creativity, atleast recently. Its all business for them. Saif and Ajay used to experiment before but even that's pretty much stopped now.
But the future seems bright with the young guns like Ranbir, Sushant, Ranveer and Arjun. They seem to have some passion for the creative side of cinema. How long it lasts for each, is anyone's guess.

SRK has also done films like Swades and CDI. And in 90s he did stuff like Dil Se and Hey Ram.

Salman has not experimented much. But I think his playing an AIDS patient in Phir Milenge was gutsy! Till now, NO other popular superstar has shown the guts to even act in a film on AIDS. Forget playing an AIDS patient!

BTW, these bloggers trashed TZP also. From that time itself, they coined the sarcastic phrase "pseudo" for Aamir and his films.

Regarding creativity, masala and entertainment cinema also requires creativity. It is not just Mona Lisa that was a result of creativity. Mickey Mouse is also a product of creativity only. The definition of creativity is way broader!

The author of this article and his ilk will bash anything commercial. For them great cinema means throwing names like Ray and Ghatak in Indian cinema and Tarantino types in "international cinema". And then insert names of the indy films made by them and their other critics-turned-filmmakers friends. Who can forget how Sudhish and Raja Sen were plugging their indy flick, what was its name? Goodmorning Goodnight? Or something like that...last year or so! Sudhish bashed all Khans to no limit in his post and then wrote paragraphs on his first indy film! LOL

If work is real good then it gets recognition itself like how Sai Paranjpe's small NFDC funded films like Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron got so much acclaim and later became cult favorites!

The problem with these writers is not why Khans make such films. Their problem is that why audience spends on Khan films but does not give any chance to their films!

It is a good strategy. Blast the audiences' intellect, make cinema akin to food as if watching CE or BG would harm your health, then throw names of "intelligent films" to make audience curious (or rather ashamed), attack their ego and hope they would turn away from commercial cinema and watch your indy stuff! Some propaganda going on out there!

People want status and success. Who bothered about Ajay even when he got national awards? Now at least after his masala hits he has more status and popularity than he ever had.

You have to serve public. Cater to their interest. Or else remain frustrated or rant like Naseer!

Even Om Puri for all his NSD-FTII background and despite having an OBE, has to do commercial cinema and silly roles like Rangeela (SIK) to earn money and popularity.

If you have a "class" taste then you better make peace with the fact that only a certain specific "class" would like your work. Don't expect to have masses change their tastes to yours and then bash them if they do not look at your work!

I remember how much I'd disliked Golmaal series. But my classmates were crazy about it, raving how fun the films were.
People's priority is to laugh, have fun and relax and even in an emotional film they want entertainment. They don't watch films to decipher hidden meanings or analyse. They just need an escape for those 2-3 hours that they invest in a film. And I do not think they should be blamed for it.

Akki does an OMG and S26 (both my favs) but one Rowdy Rathore makes more than these two combined! So what's he supposed to do?

We all cry quality but fact is there are few takers for "quality". Anyone who is working would like his work to have as many takers as possible than cater to a limited base.

Stars are working only keeping in mind the demands of audience! And audiences' demands are natural given their stressful daily lives. If stars and majority of audience are happy then purpose is served. Remaining dissatisfied people can keep quiet or keep dissenting.

I have not watched CE. Nor I plan to. But I don't feel need to bash it. It's not what I might like. So I'm not watching it. And there it ends. Why cry hoarse about how films are made?

Criticism has no end. The same 70s films of Salim-Javed that are classics today were badly mauled by critics who were lamenting at fall of grace of Indian cinema as DK-RK-DA trinity gave way to Bachchan. Big B was accused of ruining cinema along with Salim-Javed who got brickbats for ruining dialogues, lacing them with crude language ("kutta" was a serious abuse back then!). They said cinema lost soul, music is ruined, characters were no longer decent etc. But now, same films are considered classics, same films are winning best films of 100 years polls, same films make it to best films lists, same films are being remade by new stars, Salim-Javed & Bachchan are all time greats while 70s is regarded the greatest period in history of Hindi cinema with all the entertainment it provided and all the stars it made and fandom it inspired!

It is fashion to bash everything in present. After all, HAHK was also labelled as a film with no story and called a 3 hour long marriage video, or a 3 hour long toothpaste commercial. Today it is a classic! LOL

Viewers have their own choice of quality. Cinema experts or critics can have their own. All remain happy in their space! What more panga?

P.S. - Ranveer is doing Gunday. Ranbir is doing Besharam. And Sushant's Shudh Desi Romance also does not look like a different, creative film. Ultimately they all do conventional stuff!

Edited by Skepblun - 19 August 2013 at 2:39pm

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

tanya12Diva-In-ArmorILoveDramaaish.marauderTani91nikitagmcTheRager

NoThanks IF-Rockerz
NoThanks
NoThanks

Posted: 19 August 2013 at 2:44pm | IP Logged

This article is actually a taunt to those Einstiens who complain about trashy 100 cr cinema but still end up watching them and hence contributing to the movie's success.

Don't pay and don't watch. Simple!

Edited by tvdekha. - 19 August 2013 at 2:48pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

ILoveDramasunflower52chimchimcher-ee

.khoobsurat. IF-Sizzlerz
.khoobsurat.
.khoobsurat.

Posted: 19 August 2013 at 2:50pm | IP Logged
LOL

I love how When articles bash Srk films members are  like why doesn't the writer bash Salman films. 

The world doesn't revolve around the Srk vs Salman fiasco LOL

And Dabangg 2 was much better than CE and this is coming from a Srk fan. Tongue

Yes Ready was lame..horrible film..but just because this writer bashed CE they have to bash Ready too? Confused

Edited by beboholic - 19 August 2013 at 2:52pm

sunflower52OJ6.0

.khoobsurat. IF-Sizzlerz
.khoobsurat.
.khoobsurat.

Posted: 19 August 2013 at 3:01pm | IP Logged
" Am not saying every film should be Ship of Theseus, I'm saying junk food can be well made too" Clap

^ Very well written article. I feel the same about commercial films like CE these days. It's def junk food..but a bad junk food. LOL Junk foods can be made well..like Dabangg 2, Singham..

Edited by beboholic - 19 August 2013 at 6:01pm

sunflower52chimchimcher-ee

Go to top