Pavitra Rishta

India-Forums

Pavitra Rishta
Pavitra Rishta

~*Sushant's Bollywood Journey*~ #14 (Page 138)

bonnefille IF-Rockerz
bonnefille
bonnefille

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 3:25am | IP Logged
Shuddh Desi Romance is getting mixed reviews. My expectations have gone down a little. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ItsSonii

bonnefille IF-Rockerz
bonnefille
bonnefille

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 3:29am | IP Logged
Not a film critic but just posting...
Nikhil AroraMOVIE JOCKEY
Follow
Shuddh Desi Romance Review - You Give Love A Bad Name Sep 6, 20131
2.5/5
Verdict - Shuddh Desi Romance has a fantastic first half but ends in a complete mess.

Shuddh Desi Romance starts off well. The characters break the fourth wall and speak openly to us. They speak to each other in a casual fashion. Like how we would. They reject the clichs and everything they do is refreshingly romantic and coyly funny. Post intermission, things become a big fat mess. The characters don't know who they love. They don't know why they did what they did or what they want to do and keep running away. The makers ultimately run away from making a good film resorting to a convenient yet shoddy escape. Shuddh Desi Romance end up being neither romantic nor shuddh and definitely not desi in any way.

If there is any film this year that sets up expectations with a good first half and then squanders it with the second, it is this one. Along with Ek Thi Daayan, this is the biggest disappointment for me. More so because the first half is absolutely fantastic. If this is what you call a progressive romance, then please give me big fat clichd romances like Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani or Jab We Met. I'm perfectly happy with those. People blame the movies for ruining their love lives. It gives them too many expectations and a wrong idea of real life romance. Yes, sure. There are have been quite a few films recently that have challenged the idea of cinematic romance and made it more realistic. What this film tries very hard to do is challenge the idea of a realistic romance as well. Aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?

Parineeti Chopra is one of the best things existing in the Hindi film industry. I could even watch her do nothing for 2 hours on the big screen and she would still make it worthwhile. Sushant Singh Rajput has lots of potential to be an accomplished actor and a star. He shows promise yet again. Vaani Kapoor the newbie is just fine. Nothing great.

The songs in the film are wonderful. I love Gulabi and Tere Mere Beech Mein. For a film which has good actors, good dialogues and a good premise, it hurts even more to watch it all go to waste. The intermission says "Bathroom Break". I chuckled. They use the toilet as a cheeky device throughout the film. Till here, I was going along with it but by the end there are one too many bathroom breaks and not enough story. Cigarettes and cold drinks and random motifs are all hurdles in a film that could have been so much more.

Socha Na Tha (2004), Love Aaj Kal (2009) and Band Baaja Baarat (2010) were some great examples of a romantic comedy done well. Their idea of romance was modern and formulaic, in a good way. It did not reject clichs, did not claim to redefine them but  showed us a new facet to them. Shuddh Desi Romance's idea of revising the concept of marriage can be considered novel but what is says about it is simply nonsensical. It is utter hogwash and takes escapism in the wrong direction. Especially because the characters have absolutely no clue about who they are and what they want to do. What they need is a tight slap across each of their faces. Not a song at the end where they are cheerfully exclaiming "Shuddh Desi Desi Desi Romaaahnce". Give me a break. Not a bathroom break, thank you very much.

The first half is a 4 star film. The second half is a 1 star film. Yes, it is that bad. I hated hated hated the second half. I'm going to round it up to a 2 and a half. Only because the first half is definitely worth watching. Although, something stops me from calling this a good film. The juvenile conclusion it leaves us with in the guise of new-age romance makes me not want to recommend it. If you watch it, just don't take any advice from it and start acting up on it. You should know better.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

ItsSonii-Swetha-

sushantfan IF-Rockerz
sushantfan
sushantfan

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 3:32am | IP Logged
Hi everyone!!!!!
So #sdr. Like in mu opinion watch it for sushant. He really proves his mettle. He makes a clear cut smooth transition frm preet to manav to ishaan n now raghuram sitaram.
He steal the show. Pari n he complement each other real well n its pretty evident. Vaani is ok ok. She's done her bit okish.
Like overall all 3 cud do betr.
The story is kinda ok ok. Notin new as such except for the concept. 
The 2nd half ACC to me is a mere repetition of the 1st only difference is tht its vani instead of pari n sushant looks r slightly changed.
Until the climax which u cud kinda predict aftr say 30 minutes into the movie. It does stretch at places like elastic.
However thr r lil twits tht doesn't make the movie fully blah o I hv seen it bfr types.
The music is good n catchy.
I still hv to read the reviews posted but somewhere I think the promotions cud hv been better n the marketin team went slightly off track wit its targetin of the audience. 
Good thing tho is thr was enough buzz to hv 85-90%audiences in theathres this morning.
N the so talked about lip locks. Sushant n parineti shared around 5-6 & 2-3 pecks. Vaani n sushant had 2-3 liplocks.
The scene between the two was shot astectically , infact all the scences between the trio.
Vaani had around 30-40minutes role in the movie.
All sushant fans will njoi it its nice.

ItsSonii-Swetha-

ItsSonii Groupbie
ItsSonii
ItsSonii

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 3:33am | IP Logged
Originally posted by nikitagmc

Originally posted by ItsSonii

Hii lunzi nikki...chupo mat LOL

Anshi dont ask me anything...I havent seen any videos...Embarrassed very bad...have been super busy
howz everything on your side?

when are you watching?

*prays SDR will be awesome* -> this is my signature God will listen to me :D

Hii Anu...I can sense excitement in all of us...I am not going to read reviews until I watch it.
OR I should say does that matter? LOL

Hi Sonii *waves*

Main bahut nervous hu abhi.. hope SDR does really well at BO and gets great reviews as well.. Kal tak kaise wait karungi main..Ouch

And I'm going to see the movie on Saturday, woh bhi Mom and Dad ke saath.Silly I have told my Dad in advance that movie is a little bold, don't be shocked and if you don't like it then don't blame me later.. and my Dad was like okay okay I will concentrate on my samosasROFL

Hii dear Nikki *waves back*Big smile

Why nervous dear...relax...I am more confident this time than KPC coz it was not more of main stream cinema, if that did well ise to hit hona hi hai Big smile

I have still not watched the film, I think I will go for night or tom morning show...thoda to rehem karenge ma'am.

Enjoy with mom and dad...they will like too...
I always first go with friends, then approve and then go with parents...Recently we went for YJHD, BMB, CE, MC...hopefully they will come with me this time.

Go Sushant Go Party
Sept month starts with Bang.

-Swetha-

RBAA IF-Sizzlerz
RBAA
RBAA

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 3:34am | IP Logged

Shuddh Desi Romance movie review: Absolutely unadulterated shuddh desi entertainment!

Shuddh Desi Romance movie review: Absolutely unadulterated shuddh desi entertainment!

If you are in love or out of it, if you are in a relationship or not, if you are living-in with your partner or not, or even if you are roaming around with an It's complicated' tag - don't forget to watch director Maneesh Sharma's amazingly clear portrayal of the conflicts and confusions of new age romance!

First things first - director Maneesh Sharma's Shuddh Desi Romance (SDR) might be branded as a film revolving majorly around live-in relationships, but the fact remains that it is not just about that. The romantic drama is beautifully layered with various confusions and conflicts the young and restless GenNext faces (read creates) when it comes to love and commitment.

The film portrays reality as it is - however complex it may be - without being judgemental. Neither does it glamorise live-in relationships nor does it look down upon the institution of marriage. Powered by supreme performances by Parineeti Chopra, Sushant Singh Rajput, Vaani Kapoor and the delightful Rishi Kapoor and complemented with the brilliant writing of Jaideep Sahani and Sharma's pitch-perfect direction, Shuddh Desi Romance will keep you engaged and giggling throughout.

When Raghuram aka Raghu (the dishy Sushant Singh Rajput) meets Gayatri (Parineeti Chopra) on his way to his own marriage, he doesn't hesitate to express his true take on getting commited without even knowing the person. Sparks fly between the two. Raghu has no option but to stand in the mandap and tie the knot with a girl (Vaani Kapoor) he's not sure he can stay with for a lifetime.

Confused and apprehensive of the prospect of a life-long commitment, Raghu finds a workable excuse of relieving himself just when the beautiful bride Tara is about to put the mala on his shoulders. No need to say that he runs away from the marriage only to bump into Gayatri after a few days. Raghu explains his dilemma to Gayatri. "Tum ek sundar ladki ko dekh kar bhi bhag gaye, yeh nahi socha chalo usse acchi to kabhi koi nahi milegi. I like your honesty," replies Gayatri. That's when Raghu confesses his love to Gayatri and the two soon start living together.

Love blooms between and they decide exchange vows. But funnily, Raghu starts feeling jittery once again on the D-day. Hardly has he made up his mind to stay with Gayatri forever, he discovers to his utter horror that she has run away! Dejected and ditched, Raghu gets back to his normal life. But the curious twist of fate makes him run into Tara again and he starts falling for the girl he once walked out on. The two start seeing each other and Raghu is ready to propose to Tara. Has the commitment of marriage outweighed the freedom of a live-in relationship?

Now based on that narration, if you think that the movie is your clichd romantic love triangle where the protagonists understand the value of true love and the significance of sacrifices and all that jazz, you are highly mistaken! The quirky dialogues, the real characters in real situations battling with dichotomies our youngistan faces when it comes to the matters of heart, make this movie fun to watch.

In today's times when the lines between love and lust are blurring rapidly, SDR holds a mirror to the love-stricken, confused souls who want the benefits of being in a relationship without carrying the burden of the responsibilities that inadvertently come along - in a hatke and relentlessly humorous style. The film also reveals the hypocrisy where we love sex but don't admit that we do.

As for the performances, Parineeti has yet again delivered a commendable performance with her inherent effortlessness. Her outwardly liberal, cigarette-smoking and yet normal girl-next-door love-seeking character is the true soul of the film. Sushant has proved yet again that he has true potential and we would definitely like to see him more often. The dude displays the quirky, the naughty and romantic sides of his character very convincingly. Newbie Vaani too has delivered a noteworthy performance. Veteran Rishi Kapoor reminded us once again why he is called the most underrated actor of Indian cinema with his supreme performance.

In a nutshell, Shuddh Desi Romance is a cinematic delight that's very difficult to explain and should better be consumed with patience and an open mind. Those who are stuck in the Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge kind of idealistic romance or looking for a mushy picture-perfect ending may not quite like this unconventional tale. But for those who are keen to see the evolving face of our very own and highly complex shuddh desi romance - as it is and absolutely unadulterated - cannot afford to miss this one!

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 3.5 Star Rating

majoni03

fansush IF-Sizzlerz
fansush
fansush

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 3:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by bonnefille

Shuddh Desi Romance is getting mixed reviews. My expectations have gone down a little. 

exactly bonne...   its going to get mixed reviews...
.not on performances front...all 3 hv done it superb...   

sushant has done it...yesss...  !!!!he is just brilliant  in every frame...

pari too  does a very nice job...  vani impresses too  for a newcomer...

btw the theatre i went to was full packed...

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

ItsSoniimajoni03HitchHiker_

nikitagmc IF-Sizzlerz
nikitagmc
nikitagmc

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 3:38am | IP Logged
FINALLY!!
Shuddh Desi Romance
By Taran Adarsh, 6 Sep 2013, 15:01 hrs IST
Live-in relationships are a commonality in the West, but it still raises eyebrows in India. It's often considered taboo and spoken about disapprovingly by the orthodox in towns and also by several people living in a metropolis. SHUDDH DESI ROMANCE is, perhaps, the first Hindi film that looks at live-in relationships and pre-marital sex in the heartland [Jaipur] of India. Sure, Yash Raj did have a look at live-in relationships in SALAAM | NAMASTE, but that film, if you recall, was set in Australia.

Maneesh Sharma, who helmed the immensely likeable BAND BAAJA BAARAAT and appealing-in-parts LADIES VS RICKY BEHL, is ready to undertake an uncharted trail in his third excursion SHUDDH DESI ROMANCE. This time, he talks of love, attraction and commitment in a real space. The question is, how open-minded are we today? With SHUDDH DESI ROMANCE, Maneesh makes a heartfelt attempt to decode and decipher several issues pertaining to intricate relationships.

True to its title, SHUDDH DESI ROMANCE is indeed a shuddh [pure] take at live-in relationships involving desi characters and looks at the highs and lows that come with it. Although the spectator has, over the decades, witnessed innumerable interpretations of love and romance, Maneesh and writer Jaideep Sahni make sure they don't take a leaf out of been-there-seen-that kind of situations. Instead, they ensure that the three characters in SHUDDH DESI ROMANCE follow their hearts and don't succumb to the diktats of the society. Also, they speak an uninhibited lingo, which hasn't been spoken in Hindi films earlier. They are not rebellious, but straightforward. And that, in all honesty, is the prime reason that gives this film an edge. 

SHUDDH DESI ROMANCE is the journey of three restless young people who junk the society's syllabus for finding love and decide to follow their heart. Raghu [Sushant Singh Rajput], a tourist guide in Jaipur, wants a love in his life... Gayatri [Parineeti Chopra], a part-time instructor in an English-speaking institute, has been around the block a few times and knows the scene... Tara [Vaani Kapoor], who's dying to get out there and fly, knows what's right for her, but a little experimenting never hurt anybody, did it?... When their lives crisscross, their beliefs get challenged and their loves, tested. 

Writer Jaideep Sahni, who has penned films like BUNTY AUR BABLI, CHAK DE! INDIA, AAJA NACHLE and ROCKET SINGH: SALESMAN OF THE YEAR for Yash Raj, opts for a plot that's borrowed from slice of life. The characters in SHUDDH DESI ROMANCE mirror the mindset of several youngsters in contemporary times and how the meaning of love and commitment has undergone a complete change in the present context. The obstacles in the form of caste, religion and culture seem pass, frankly. Dating, pre-marital sex and marriage are three diverse issues, unlike earlier times, when matrimony was a beautiful culmination in a relationship... Armed with an unsullied plot and creative situations, director Maneesh Sharma breaks away from the conventional thought process and paints a picture that challenges the mindset of the conformists. 

Additionally, everything that Maneesh and Jaideep attempt to convey through their characters in SHUDDH DESI ROMANCE looks credible and relevant. The good thing is, there's no preaching or sermonizing vis--vis who's right or wrong; it's more of a dialogue with our peers. You need to change with the times and cinema needs to grow as well. This film does exactly that without belittling the traditional beliefs. More significantly, all of this is presented in an entertaining format. 

The only glitch in the otherwise smooth narrative is that the pacing slows down considerably in the second hour. Also, Vaani's stance is a little difficult to absorb. In fact, her exit -- without offering any concrete reason -- looks a bit unreal. However, all said and done, the commitment-phobic attitude of the new generation comes across very well in the narrative. 

Sachin-Jigar's soundtrack garnishes the goings-on wonderfully. The gifted composers, who have delivered musical hits in the past, live up to the faith reposed in them. 'Gulabi' and the title track are infectious compositions. The DoP captures the rustic flavor with meticulousness. 

After leaving a tremendous impression in his first Hindi outing, Sushant Singh Rajput wows you with a remarkable portrayal yet again. He brings a lot of freshness with his unpretentious and spontaneous act. Parineeti Chopra gets into the bindaas zone yet again, a role that's become synonymous with her of late. She seems to be going from strength to strength with every film. Vaani Kapoor is self-assured and doesn't seem overwhelmed by her skilled co-stars. Rishi Kapoor is, like always, in terrific form. Rajesh Sharma is okay in a cameo. 

On the whole, SHUDDH DESI ROMANCE caters to the youth and reflects the mindset of a chunk of the youth these days. The film, which speaks a different lingo, is a gutsy attempt that defies the stereotype. Told in an entertaining format, it is sure to strike a chord with not just the youngsters, but also with those who love shudh [unchartered, in this case] storylines. Refreshingly different, give this one a chance. Recommended!
Post Comment
User Comments (0)
No Comment posted as yet

ItsSoniimajoni03

sushantfan IF-Rockerz
sushantfan
sushantfan

Posted: 06 September 2013 at 3:39am | IP Logged
Bonne honestly the story Is slightly loose but the performance doesn't disappoint. Plus it depends on ones own taste. 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

ItsSoniibonnefillefansush

Go to top