Let's Discuss : Weddings, Dowry, Customs and Stuff

Posted: 10 years ago
Isn't dowry banned?

Gustakh Dil is doing a great job in spreading awareness against this social evil. But honestly speaking, is this practice still in practice? Cause it turned out to be quite a shocker to me.

I live in Goa, I guess you heard about this tourist location. Marriages here I think are based on social classes and religion, while the upper class have beach weddings and book exotic hotels and resorts - like the double wedding I attended recently.

Both the weddings took place at The Uttorda Beach, South Goa managed by a resort (Royal Orchids, I think). While the Catholic Wedding took place at a popular restaurant opposite the sea, overlooking the sunset. The Hindu wedding place on the beach, white sand and the sunset hues, paparazzi like camera men and the whole wedding feeling included.

These are what "upper class" weddings here are like. Weddings her (mostly Catholic) follow the Portuguese customs, where we have the pre weddings rituals, followed by the mass and taking of the vows in a Church, then a reception party a few hours later for the upper middle class, or a small get together after the vows followed by prayers and such for the lower.

As I said we do follow the Portuguese custom Goa being a part of the Portuguese empire earlier "before it was captured by the Indians", 🤣 so in those customs there is this custom where the bride's family a day prior to the weddings sends over gifts and jewellery, clothes, and stuff like that. There's this show where people come over and admire the gifts and then they are sent over to the location where the couple's gonna move into. (Both the families, I'm not sure but it's the brides family that does most of the gifting and the grooms family is preoccupied into gifting the couple an established to start their new life).

IK, I'm gonna sound very stereotypical with all the class distinction! 😆 Deal with it.

This is what traditional and modern weddings here are like (almost).. What about the weddings in your area? Tell us about it.

P.S. I forgot the home coming. So far I haven't really come accross the "homecoming" or any homecoming in the "upper classes", but yeah the middle class does have a homecoming on the second day of the marriage where the bride preferably wears red saree or a bright dress (ik this, thanks to the cultural programme my high school confuscucted this year, and me being an ex student cum trustees daughter had to attend). Edited by AraBearxx - 10 years ago
Nice post dear

and me don't know anything about any rituals 🤣

But one thing i can say no dowry in our marriage system
Nice post!!! ðŸ˜Š
Well I'm from Paris but I'm Sri-Lankan, so in SL there is also the prob of dowry, girls from poor families struggle with that. In SL the girl have 2 hv a land or a house in her name as a dowry, even a car is ok but nowadays modern families don't care bout dowry & all, the same goes to sri-lankan people who live in foreign countries. But yes they do pay attention to the family's bg, house & jobs, the groom is also the one who buy the bride's necklace for the wedding day & rings.

I'm catholic & sri-lankan catholics marriages goes in the same way as portuguese marriages but b4 the church ceremony there is a ritual in both the bride's & groom's houses according to sri-lankan customs. There are 2 celebrations, the reception in a hotel after the church( organized by the bride's family) and then the home-coming( they wear colorful suits, mostly red :western or indian costumes) to celebrate the couple's venue from their honeymoon (organized by the groom's family).

And yes I'm against the dowry system & thank god even if my family in SL  care bout that & social class of people regarding marriages, my parents don't care bout dat at all...😊
Edited by Rishani7 - 10 years ago
Yes me also against dowry system . and well said Rishani7
Originally posted by .nightqueen

Yes me also against dowry system . and well said Rishani7

u can call me Rishani, btw wat's ur name?😊
Originally posted by Rishani7

<font color="#cc0066">Nice post!!!😊</font>
<font color="#cc0066">Well I'm from Paris but I'm Sri-Lankan, so in SL there is also the prob ofdowry, girls from poorfamiliesstruggle with that. In SL the girl have 2 hv a land or a house in her name as a dowry, even a car is ok but nowadays modernfamilies don't care bout dowry & all, the same goes to sri-lankan people who live in foreign countries. But yes they do pay attention to the family's bg, house & jobs, the groom is also the one who buy the bride's necklace for the wedding day & rings.</font>

<font color="#cc0066">I'm catholic & sri-lankan catholics marriages goes in the same way as portuguese marriages but b4 the church ceremony there is a ritual in both the bride's & groom's houses according to sri-lankan customs. There are 2 celebrations, the reception in a hotel after the church( organized by the bride's family) and then the home-coming( they wear colorful suits, mostly red :western or indian costumes) to celebrate the couple'svenuefrom their honeymoon (organized by the groom's family).</font>

<font color="#cc0066">And yes I'm against the dowry system & thank god even if my family in SL care bout that & social class of people regarding marriages, my parents don't care bout dat at all...😊</font>

Not only the families but the prospective bride and groom also do look at the wealth quota 🤣.

Haha, I consider myself to be a hybrid. My mother's a Roman Catholic while my dad follows Hinduism.. no actually he doesn't really follow any religion. Yeah, atheist. I have no knowledge about Hinduism, but my mom does get this wierd religion fits where she just demands that we attend mass and thank kinda gives me a catholic base. Just consider me to be an infidel will you, or better yet a atheist. :)

I forgot to mention that *head desk* I edited it. Well, in my defence I never really came across it but I did attend a cultural programme on Goes heritage that mentioned it. And yeah, the shit hit the roof when I called one of the students modelling flat. Emphasising her lean tummy, but she took it the other way round. Miscommunication, aye.
Lool Kia 😆 n me also hybrid . Mummy South Indian and papa

Gujarati but me don't know either customs 😆
Originally posted by .nightqueen

Nice post dear

and me don't know anything about any rituals 🤣

But one thing i can say no dowry in our marriage system

Haha, thanks. All those sweet words. I'm gonna get Diabetes Incipides.. wait is that the type of diabetes you get related to sugar.. *facepalm*

same here - no dowry, haaye, haaye!!
Originally posted by AraBearxx

Haha, thanks. All those sweet words. I'm gonna get Diabetes Incipides.. wait is that the type of diabetes you get related to sugar.. *facepalm*

same here - no dowry, haaye, haaye!!

Lool 😆😆 Kia is that so ?? and same pinch hi5 😃