Jodha Akbar 44: Suspended animation

sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 10 years ago

Folks,

Here is a treat for all of you,  a really short one.Yes, yes, I can hear you saying to yourselves Short? This I have got to see!😉  But it is so, for once, and all the credit for that goes to the screenplay.

There were only 4 main points that emerged today.

1)  Jalal, even  he rightly cuts short Jodha's  vigorous argument with Adham Khan and shooes her back to the palace, admires her unhesitating readiness to stand up for what she believes is right,  and to fight  for it with anyone, any place, any time.  That can be seen,  firstly, from the relatively gentle way in which he dismisses her, as compared to the harshness with which he  snubbed Ruqaiya over the Zaheer affair, almost yelling at her.

And secondly, from his imagining Jodha,  almost involuntarily,  amidst the Amer dancers  at the jashan, bearing the Aner flag with pride, and in an utterly natural way, devoid of any arrogance or self-righteousness.  It is revealing that he is not just dreaming of her, but that  this is how he  perceives her. He regards  his vision of Jodha  with no trace of either anger or sarcasm. For once, he genuinely approves of her and her ways.

It is the same when Jodha announces her readiness to compete  against Ruqaiya, citing her Rajvanshi heritage of never backing down before a challenge. For a brief instant, Jalal  looks benign and even admiring.

2) Jalal handles the pancham matter to perfection. He investigates it  swiftly and effectively, and then does justice to the poor banjaras -  truly a Solomon come to judgement (with apologies to Shylock an to Shakespeare!).  He  next puts Adham Khan in his place (or as near to that as possible given Adham's temperament), and finally, also seizes the opportunity to organize  a delightful surprise for Bharmal & Co. (who, incidentally,  seem to hav given the go  by to their beti ke ghar paani bhi nahin peete rule, as they are now enjoying their javaisa's hospitality without any qualms) .

Jalal  has now come into his own, and is fast maturing into  a just and decisive monarch, who can put his absolute power  to use for the good of the awaam .

3) Jodha is still in the same Shahenshah bahut bure hain... zaroor mujhe peedha pahunchane ke liye kuch karenge groove, like an LP stuck in one place. So much so that  even  when she sees that the banjaras,  whose cause she was advocating so vigorously that morning,  have not not only been freed but have been invited to perform at the jashan, she does not think even for an instant that it was well done of Jalal. Instead she is off at once looking around for clues to what he might be planning next against her.

As things stand, he is looking forward to showing  her up  as being no match for Ruqaiya at chess,  but I am sure that even if there had been no chess match,  Jodha would still have been on edge, fearing a booby trap set by her (un)beloved patidev.  In that sense. Jalal has won, for   Jodha does his job for  him,  as she herself makes sure that she never has a moment's peace of mind!

4) Jodha's sotto voce remark to herself, when she decides to take the plunge and face Ruqaiya at chess, is very curious. It is not, as would be natural  in a proud Rajput princess, that she wants to uphold  Rajput honour.

Instead, what she wants is to block Ruqaiya from getting that  one time blank cheque, so to  speak, from Jalal. Agar Ruqaiya jeet gayi, toh ne jaane who Shahenshah se kya mangegi! The unstated part is: Mujhe use rokna hoga, aur uske liye mujhe jeetna hoga!.

But what is it that Jodha does not want Ruqaiya to ask of Jalal if she wins, and then get it?  I cannot think of any thing that the generally detached Jodha would resent Ruqaiya getting. So is it that she has begun to resent Ruqaiya per se, and is making this excuse to herself to explain away this resentment? Because of  Ruqaiya's much tomtommed hold on Jalal? A teeny weeny stab of the green-eyed monster- good old jealousy?

Not consciously as yet, but perhaps  sub-consciously, just like the subconscious longing  in her eyes as she looked at Salima and Rahim in the morning.  How else can one explain what she says to herself ?  If this is indeed so, what a contrast with her reaction in the scene with Ruqaiya,   in her bedroom!

Hamida Banu: The scene between Jodha and her mother-in-law was utterly charming and touching. I loved Jodha bending to touch Hamida Banu's feet and calling her Ammijaan,   gracefully adopting  part of the Mughal tehzeeb.  It would be interesting to see Jalal's reaction if she were to call Hamida Banu Ammijaan  in his presence! 😉

Hamida Banu  obviously does not care for Ruqaiya, very  likely seeing her as one of the elements making sure that Jalal's khoya hua dil  stays khoya hua. So she roots unabashedly for Jodha at the chess match, just as much as the Amer lot.

The chess match: Ruqaiya, true to her brash, over-confident and arrogant temperament, plays a very aggressive game, capturing as  many of Jodha's pieces as she can  in quick order. Jodha, on the other hand, keeps her head, and continues to  play a waiting game, looking out  for a mistake from her opponent. I could not see the whole board at the end, but I bet that Ruqaiya , while advancing to surround Jodha's King, has left  her own open to a swift pouncing move by Jodha's queen.

The CVs seem to believe in ending on a cliffhanging note on Friday evenings, but a Jodha victory is a no brainer, so we can all relax!

Shyamala B.Cowsik Edited by sashashyam - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

meghanajain thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Good post as always, enjoyed all your highlights. I think the game will be a draw. My judgement is based on the precap where Ruqu is still very calm. She wouldn't be that calm if she had lost the match. I hope my intuition is wrong and Jodha wins the match. 

He loves Jodha's spirit, her passion for matrabhoomi, her honest commitment to her motherland, her fearless character. These all all the qualities he possesses and admires, no wonder he likes it when he has found someone like him. Hence he finds no fault in the banjaras roaming around with the flag, infact he honours the rajput by letting banjara's perform!
Jaisoif thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Nice, I haven't seen the episode as of yet because it doesn't air on Fridays in the US but from your description it looks very nice, and I'm also a little suspicious as to why Jodha was so curious about what Ruquaiya will ask of but I think maybe she's scared that Ruquaiyas wish will affect her and her family, maybe that's the reason shes scared that they might get insulted but regardless I really hope Jodha wins, I really thought the results would be out today but these darn cvs just keep us craving for more, thanks
sfdiva23 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Thanks for the writeup on the episode.  Insightful and bringing up the main points and the psychology behind the actions of the characters.   I agree that it is unlikely that Jodha will loose but more likely a draw or she will win.  Although, in this part of the episode she seems more hesitant   then decisive, especially when Ruquaiya tells her she has blocked her King.

Enjoy JA free weekend!
dramago thumbnail
Very insightful analysis...👏 enjoyed reading as always...I think  the winner of the chess game would definitely be Jodha and though she initially rejects jalal's offer of  granting a wish as per the spoiler ,she might  use that offer later to save Moti bai from getting buried alive,again as per the latest article...Jallal day dreaming of a proud Jodha swaying the flag and Jodha worrying of what Ruquayya might gain from the shehensha by winning the match were two interesting scenes for me...and Jodha calling Hamida 'ammijaan' was a cute gesture...She is carrying herself very well
in Agra...I would say well done Jodha.😊

ChupChupKe thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
lovely analysis aunty 👏 
teletubby thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

loved ur writeup as always...😳
i found the whole banjara n parcham thing bit forced...
amer family seem comfrtably ensconced...do thy go out of the agra walls to eat?😃
monday is gonna b very dramatic...as jo declares her move wid drumrolls!😆
n jalal ka haal to dekhne wala hoga!!

swtngl thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Nice analysis. I was wondering why the dream scene was there. It seemed so out of place. I liked ur analysis of the dream. I posted pics of the chess board in one of my post, unfortunately I can't put the link here. (I am not allowed since I need 25 posts before I can post links 😭) It's titled Pics of chess board. Ruq's has her king very well protected so it's going to be hard to Jodha to win. 
IshqDewaani thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Another lovely post from you👏
lovely analysis aunty

I loved it that Jalal handled the parchim scene very calmly and most importantly he showed Adham his place.

Even I wonder where does Bharmal and Co. eat??? 😆

Jalal imagining Jodha in the dance sequence came as a surprise. the guy who claims to hate jodha and keeps on planning things to hurt her, jalal is impressed by Jodha's prem for her matrubhoomi!!!

And ofcourse we all know that Jodha is going to win the chess match!!!!

now how jalal reacts to this is to be seen...
sashashyam thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Thank you, my dear,  especially for  that bit about the chessboard positions, which is very interesting. Now Jodha has to win, or at the very least to force a draw. How will she manage it? Well, the CVs will probably bank on there being very few viewers as clever as you are!😉

As for Jalal's dream sequence, or rather his fantasy, as one does not dream with eyes wide open, I think it is to show us  that he admires at least some things about her - in this instance her love for her motherland, for the Jodha he sees with the flag is calm and dignified in her patriotism.  And thus to highlight some residual openmindedness in him,

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Originally posted by: swtngl

Nice analysis. I was wondering why the dream scene was there. It seemed so out of place. I liked ur analysis of the dream. I posted pics of the chess board in one of my post, unfortunately I can't put the link here. (I am not allowed since I need 25 posts before I can post links 😭) It's titled Pics of chess board. Ruq's has her king very well protected so it's going to be hard to Jodha to win. 

Edited by sashashyam - 10 years ago