Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: VictorLordJr

I don't if that was aimed at me

But all I said was I'm shocked that if this film crosses 3 idiots It would only be the first time Srk started in the biggest hit ever . I thought I read somewhere DDLJ and OSO broke all records as well . But I guess I was wrong

Yeah...it was addressed to you but I realized HM posted before I my reply.
Crossing 3I is tough as CE doesnt have any open weeks. Usually big films like this one have 2 open weeks but CE had only clear 6 days. Now it has OUATIMD, Madras Cafe this week and then Satyagrah. The screens would get reduced as we move further thus making the job tougher for CE.
DDLJ I dont think broke any lifetime records 17-18 years ago. That was HAHK's but nevetheless it was HUGE and has remained huge due to its impact on India's entertainment industry in the last two decades. OSO was a blockbuster for that year but not sure if it broke records either. SRK's main issue has been even his 100cr+ films have been considered underperformers because others were doing better. I think he finally managed to get back.
nicegirl_good thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Irish 3 will reach it in 5 days and dhoom 3 in 3 days 
Karenina thumbnail

Originally posted by: MrsMalhotra

^^^Dont underestimate the power of a superstar.πŸ˜† SRK's other films are even bigger hits than CE if you see the impact but those were more than 5 years ago and since then business has changed.
SRK wasnt doing massy enough films since OSO hence his films were not doing as well as other stars who were doing massy subjects. This time he did a massy film coupled with a holiday release and it worked for him.

Nobody doubts that SRK is a super, duper star, but let's not go THAT far. I don't like the selective judgment people use when it comes to SRK.

Since SRK's last Blockbuster (before CE), SRK has done MNIK, Ra One, Don 2, JTHJ, and now CE. Yes, it's wrong to expect MNIK to do business on the scale of CE, but I do remember fans expecting MNIK to go the LRMB and RDB way, which it didn't. But it did do well at the BO, and it would be wrong to expect anything more.

Ra One was the biggest Bollywood movie up until that point and the most expensive. It was full-throttle commercial feature movie and if such a movie cannot perform at a BO, one may just quit. Just because it's not a masala movie in the sense of CE--doesn't suggest that it is the epitome of commercial cinema. Ek Tha Tiger had a different concept, had nothing masala in it, and was a different type of commercial movie, but it managed to smash all BO records, except the lifetime of 3I. It also holds the record for the highest distributor share in history, so again--let's not just assume that SRK's movies weren't doing well because they weren't masala movies. Ra One is as commercial a movie can get.

Same for Don 2--but this had even more to it as it was the sequel to the successful Don.

For JTHJ, well, what is SRK's forte? Isn't it romantic movies? SRK's biggest Hits aren't masala movies, but romantic dramas and comedies.

Ra One and Don 2 are commercial, massy movies, while romance (JTHJ) is SRK's strongest genre. Only MNIK justifies your claim.

It's fine. SRK did a masala movie like OSO and it worked. It does say that the "masala" genre is the *in* thing, but movies such as Ra One, Don2, Ek Tha Tiger, Dhoom series, Krrish series, etc, whilst not masala movies, but such movies are commercial movies and you can't hide behind such claims when an actor has been doing commercial movies.
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Kareenafanatic

Nobody doubts that SRK is a super, duper star, but let's not go THAT far. I don't like the selective judgment people use when it comes to SRK.

Since SRK's last Blockbuster (before CE), SRK has done MNIK, Ra One, Don 2, JTHJ, and now CE. Yes, it's wrong to expect MNIK to do business on the scale of CE, but I do remember fans expecting MNIK to go the LRMB and RDB way, which it didn't. But it did do well at the BO, and it would be wrong to expect anything more.

Ra One was the biggest Bollywood movie up until that point and the most expensive. It was full-throttle commercial feature movie and if such a movie cannot perform at a BO, one may just quit. Just because it's not a masala movie in the sense of CE--doesn't suggest that it is the epitome of commercial cinema. Ek Tha Tiger had a different concept, had nothing masala in it, and was a different type of commercial movie, but it managed to smash all BO records, except the lifetime of 3I. It also holds the record for the highest distributor share in history, so again--let's not just assume that SRK's movies weren't doing well because they weren't masala movies. Ra One is as commercial a movie can get.

Same for Don 2--but this had even more to it as it was the sequel to the successful Don.

For JTHJ, well, what is SRK's forte? Isn't it romantic movies? SRK's biggest Hits aren't masala movies, but romantic dramas and comedies.

Ra One and Don 2 are commercial, massy movies, while romance (JTHJ) is SRK's strongest genre. Only MNIK justifies your claim.

It's fine. SRK did a masala movie like OSO and it worked. It does say that the "masala" genre is the *in* thing, but movies such as Ra One, Don2, Ek Tha Tiger, Dhoom series, Krrish series, etc, whilst not masala movies, but such movies are commercial movies and you can't hide behind such claims when an actor has been doing commercial movies.

OK lets take it one by one. These are the reasons IMO why SRK's movies underperformed according to his detractors...ok trade and fans too.
MNIK-Non-commercial to the core when people were bored of the foreign settings and masala was making a comeback due to Wanted and Ghajini.
Don2-Similar reasons as MNIK...too alien a story with a foreign setting. If 90s and the early 2000s viewers like foreign settings by late 2000s viewers were tired of them. Esp of faraway lands like Europe, USA whose society and culture is very different from Indian one. I for one couldnt connect to the movie.
JTHJ-Romance isnt suited for SRK any more. We need to accept he is almost 50. He cant do what he did 20 years ago. Plus the clash with another big film also didnt help along with the negativity and many disliked SRK-Kat pairing.
If you notice romantic movies with younger stars are still working. Romances need to connect to the youth and there is a certain age for that.
Ra1-This one is possibly SRK's biggest failure in recent times. He promoted it like anything, it had successful music, solo Diwali release but it bombed as he forgot to put the most important indgredient needed for a movie-the script. But I stand by the fact that it wasnt a typical masala movie. Superheroes in suits rarely work in India. Only successful example is Krish series. For India masala means action with a dose of romance and comedy.
The examples from other stars you have given...every movie released under different circumstances and at different times with either the content, the current trend, release dates, publicity favoring those movies. But I challenge any other star to make the same movies which SRK did and make them work better than SRK did commercially under the same circumstances. The biggest example of scripts, circumstances mattering beyond star power are the recent examples of Himmatwala, Joker, K786, Talaash underperforming.

Che.Guevara thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

I'm still shocked that this would be Srks first all time grosser

Thought he would have more ...

Salman , Aamir , sunny , Hrithik all did

Anyway eating to see if it crosses YJHD , ETT and 3 I

🀣 πŸ˜† Third πŸ˜‰ 

Originally posted by: KARAN888

πŸ€£πŸ˜†ThirdπŸ˜‰

Yes yes I was just made aware of DDLJ and KKHH status

Johnny.Balraj thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Yes yes I was just made aware of DDLJ and KKHH status

when did SRK have the highest grosser in his whole career, as far I know DDLJ and KKHH didn't break  lifetime  record of HANK. 

This would be first time, he would goes on  to  break 3idiot record 
Edited by DAKDAK - 10 years ago
Che.Guevara thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Javed__ thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I really wanted CE to break YJHD lifetime record 😊..but not ETT πŸ˜” ...now even 3 idiots record in danger..finally SRK is back... Edited by javed628 - 10 years ago
Johnny.Balraj thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Hahahahahhahahaahh, 

How can you dispute facts, he never any broke life time record of any film before,

HANK record was broken by Gadar hahahahah, then Dhoom2, then Ghajni, then 3idiot maybe now CE. 
Edited by DAKDAK - 10 years ago