MidnightRambler IF-Rockerz
MidnightRambler
MidnightRambler

Posted: 16 August 2013 at 1:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by pallavi25

Originally posted by ChemistryMajor

LOOOLLL Bahahaha muse10. You almost made me spill my juice!

Great idea. Also, along with the a great requirement for water for PR 1, they will need a large supply of street vendors selling puchkas, gol gappays, and lord knows what else. 

Seeing how many times Arjun and Purvi are driving on the road, you never know when Purvi might have the urge to eat puchkas and will probably yell, point, and wave like a child as soon as she sees a street vendor. 

Whats wrong with eating phuchkas! I love phuchakas/ golgappas! And I bet 80% of the girls/women here love phuchkas too! And we all get the urge to gorge on junk food, chaats or golgappas sometimes!
 So now Purvi is wrong for liking phuchkas too? LOL And we have to give Ovi the benefit of doubt for drinking alcohol during pregnancy? Shocked

DUDEE. Read my post! Did I even mention the word "WRONG"? When did I say Purvi was wrong for eating them? Please do not make my words out to be something they weren't. I didn't say anything like that.

I LOVE eating gol gappays. Haven't had them in so long. 

Yeah, Im craving them too with all this talk abt golgappas. 
You didnt say shes wrong but it sure sounded like you were ridiculing Purvi for being childish and asking for golgappas, didnt it? Now admit it! Tongue

No no I wasn't ridiculing her asking for them. I was annoyed by the WAY she asked for them. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

pallavi25

pallavi25 IF-Stunnerz
pallavi25
pallavi25

Posted: 16 August 2013 at 1:41am | IP Logged

LOOOLLL Bahahaha muse10. You almost made me spill my juice!

Great idea. Also, along with the a great requirement for water for PR 1, they will need a large supply of street vendors selling puchkas, gol gappays, and lord knows what else. 

Seeing how many times Arjun and Purvi are driving on the road, you never know when Purvi might have the urge to eat puchkas and will probably yell, point, and wave like a child as soon as she sees a street vendor. 

Whats wrong with eating phuchkas! I love phuchakas/ golgappas! And I bet 80% of the girls/women here love phuchkas too! And we all get the urge to gorge on junk food, chaats or golgappas sometimes!
 So now Purvi is wrong for liking phuchkas too? LOL And we have to give Ovi the benefit of doubt for drinking alcohol during pregnancy? Shocked

DUDEE. Read my post! Did I even mention the word "WRONG"? When did I say Purvi was wrong for eating them? Please do not make my words out to be something they weren't. I didn't say anything like that.

I LOVE eating gol gappays. Haven't had them in so long. 

Yeah, Im craving them too with all this talk abt golgappas. 
You didnt say shes wrong but it sure sounded like you were ridiculing Purvi for being childish and asking for golgappas, didnt it? Now admit it! Tongue

No no I wasn't ridiculing her asking for them. I was annoyed by the WAY she asked for them. 

But thats the way she talks! Dont tell me u were bashing the actress! Wink

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

soniiyaasoapwatcher1ashfaque2012

MidnightRambler
MidnightRambler

Posted: 16 August 2013 at 1:46am | IP Logged
Pallavi...please!!! LOL

Omg. No I wasn't bashing the actress. You're reading too much into it.

But since you brought it up. Let me share with you why I found it annoying. I knew this girl at my elementary school and knew her through high school too. And she used to behave that way. Well needless to say, over time it got reallly annoying. Now I am prone to getting annoyed easily in such cases. 

I have never commented on an actor/actress like that. 

Edited by ChemistryMajor - 16 August 2013 at 1:46am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

FireLordPhoenixpallavi25

pallavi25 IF-Stunnerz
pallavi25
pallavi25

Posted: 16 August 2013 at 1:50am | IP Logged

Pallavi...please!!! LOL

Omg. No I wasn't bashing the actress. You're reading too much into it.

But since you brought it up. Let me share with you why I found it annoying. I knew this girl at my elementary school and knew her through high school too. And she used to behave that way. Well needless to say, over time it got reallly annoying. Now I am prone to getting annoyed easily in such cases. 

I have never commented on an actor/actress like that. 

Okay, I get it! LOL

MidnightRamblersoapwatcher1

MidnightRambler
MidnightRambler

Posted: 16 August 2013 at 1:56am | IP Logged
YES. Finally! Tongue

Edited by ChemistryMajor - 16 August 2013 at 1:56am

pallavi25

muse10 Senior Member
muse10
muse10

Posted: 16 August 2013 at 7:29am | IP Logged
Hey Friends:

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am on vacation staying with friends with irregular access to the computer - so I will respond to all of you in one post. I hope that is fine.

Thank you so much for your reasonable comments - of both appreciation and critique! I like both for moving a conversation forward.

I am glad many of you appreciated my humor! Thank you Chemistrymajor for reminding of puchkas. Oh, I love them too, Who doesn't? That is a great idea. If along with rain, there are frequent puchka stall visits, it will make the viewers' (you, Pallavi, and me being prime examples) mouths water and they will rush out looking for them too ! Good for puchka vendors' families!

@ soapwatcher1,See, we are actually in agreement, mostly. I requested the split exactly for this reason. But as I said in the post, my request is to make "All" PR viewers happy. So, even though there may be a large viewership of PR1, many of us would be very interested in PR2, which PR1 viewers do not have to watch. And the CVs can make their decision about the future of these shows after a few months.

Pallavi, if the CVs accept my request, I am also planning to watch PR1 once in a while. As you know, I like Arvi too - they are adorable. I just find an overdose of their romance boring! Plus I have to check how my little niece Pari is growing too! I have to make sure that her nanny is doing a good job! You may also visit PR2 when tracks on the characters you like are going on! (WUs are always available to see if you want to watch an episode or not. That is what I do)

As for aspects of good drama, as a student of comp.lit (English and Indian) with a focus on drama, I am very much in favor of following a good model like Shakespeare. But as you know, in a good play or novel, along with the main plot (which of course gets central place), there are sub-plots (thank you so much Thapelo for your comments with regard to this) that also need attention. And the characters in those subplots play a major role in moving the narration forward. My comment was regarding all the posts remarking that Ovi and Onir should be nowhere near Arvi. 

I am also in agreement with Pandorasbox with regard to the nature of characters and drama - cliche romance and all. Some of my friends comment on how Indians only like weeping women - as reflected in their literature or romancing around trees or in rain as reflected in their movies (I am in the US). It irks me. But when we read the Mahabharata, people were so full of praise - with Kunti being an unwed mother and Draupadi having five  husbands and each character having both strengths and flaws. A student actually stood up in appreciation on reading the part where Gandhari (Duryodhan's mother) curses Krishna for letting the war happen! She could not believe that this ancient poet had the maturity to have even a character considered divine chided by an old woman who had lost all her sons! That was great to see. 

For me, Indian soaps are like stories  the bards used to tell in ancient days moving from town to town, reaching large audiences. The Mahabharata was circulated in this way too. I am watching PR from that perspective - a popular story reaching wide audiences. So, my question is if Indian audiences could take complex stories earlier, what has happened now? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I tried a couple of soaps because I wanted to see a contemporary popular story. I found those soaps boring because of the fix-it-all-by-myself attitude of the heroines. PR was so good having a large number of characters but each subplot (with the main plot of Manav-Archana) and character getting due attention. It was using the opportunity a daily soap has with hundreds of hours at disposal to make an epic like drama very well. Then it slipped miserably after the leap, actually after the deal between Ovi and Purvi. I feel that if the CVs are trying to clean up the mess with Ovi and Onir playing important roles and getting their due back, that is good treatment of the story. But some viewers seem to not like that. So, I requested the split.

As for humor, I like it the best as a device in literature. I think it is very effective in throwing light on human folly in various situations. As humans, everyone acts foolish at times. I will put myself first on the list. As you know there are many types of humor. Of these, the dark or stinging type is effective for some purposes, but I prefer not to use it in conversations. I like the light-hearted humor that serves the purpose without hurting. It is often self-deprecating. If this kind of humor had no place in public conversations, all cartoonists would be out of business. I am only making fun of the show and the forum (both of which I enjoy very much) in a light-hearted way. My purpose is of course not to hurt anyone.

Now, someone may say, if you are so stuck up on your comp.lit background, why do you even watch an Indian soap? True. May be I shouldn't. (that is why I did not mention it earlier). But my hope is that may be the CVs and production houses are keeping an eye on the conversations on forums like this and getting cues to make their next projects better! India is doing great in terms of the amount of production of television and film dramas! If our conversations help them improve quality, why not?
At times, I feel that there could be a serial on forums like this with all participants as characters - can you imagine how hilarious it would be!

May be I am a fool hoping that the CVs are looking at any of this! But fools have a place in the world too. Without them, the wise would not look wise! So, I don't mind being a fool!

Any way, see you sometime when I get a chance to wander around in the IF land!

Edited by muse10 - 16 August 2013 at 10:00am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

_notinuse_soapwatcher1FireLordPhoenix

soapwatcher1 IF-Rockerz
soapwatcher1
soapwatcher1

Posted: 16 August 2013 at 10:00am | IP Logged
Dear Muse10, hope you are having fun on your vacation! What are you doing visiting this forum? Leave it to when you come back, enjoy your time away from this reel madness :)

I have a lit background too but to counter your post, I think (maybe wrong) that most viewers watch the soaps for light relief and time pass so a serious plot with shaded characters might not fit the bill. So we have a little bit of romance, a little bit of preaching (the dreaded sanskars), a lot of black and white characters (so as not to make it too taxing for us leisure time viewers), and hotch potch story lines for us to ridicule and argue over the logic of it all :)

As for my post about your recommendation to splitting PR1 and PR2, it was written tongue in cheek, (even) I would be bored of watching saccharin sweet romance day in and day out :)

jdronamrajupallavi25

pallavi25 IF-Stunnerz
pallavi25
pallavi25

Posted: 16 August 2013 at 11:03pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Barunmayish

Ekta came AFTER Rishta.com and Sarabhai vs Sarabhai and JJKN! Really? ShockedLOL

Those shows came LOOONG after Ekta started making her typical saas bahu shows, starting with Kyunki ...though she made a few comedies before that!
But before Ekta came on the scene there were many really good shows like Buniyaad (a masterpiece abt the Partition era), Hum Log (abt a lower middle class family), Rajni (abt a woman fighting against corruption and daily injustices), Yeh jo hai Zindagi (a sitcom) etc. Now those were really BEFORE Ekta times!LOL
Ekta's genre is saas bahu and kitchen politics, not romance.
[/QUOTE]
What beautif serials add wagle ki duniya mungerilal ke hassene sapne

I am not so much in pr but I have zee so I watch when it's on
Ritwik is a good actor and so is shruti wish they kept these talent in the show
Why they can't have ritwik as Arjun son he can pull of double roll he has so many exp and his face is not wooden and when he is doing emotional scenes its not just glycerin filled eyes
Feel sorry for ritwik asha shruti teju punni shakti real talent is leaving the show
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Wagle ki Duniya was hilarious! LOL Also Detective Karamchand...Pankaj Kapoor as Karamchand and Sushmita Mukherjee as Kitty! LOL So many good shows on DD in the 1980s! 
And of course Fauji, with which SRK started his career. 

peachesnplums

Go to top