Jodha Akbar
Jodha Akbar

Jodha Akbar 42: Spice-crossed! (Page 4)

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 10:26pm | IP Logged
Thank you,my dear.

No, I was not and am not a writer - this is just  a new hobby -  I was a professional diplomat for all of my working life till I retired recently. You can look me up easily on google, and http://www.flickr.com/photos/menik/2530924779/ has a neat resume. The photo is 9 years old, but it is still a decent likeness!

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Originally posted by ashpat

i enjoyed reading your analysis. Just curious to know if you are writer? I mean do you have a career related to journalism, writing or literary research?

Thanks again for analysis. It's great as always.Clap

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

.FemmeFatale.smile.saramanzilmukulStar_girl....Poojie....leelaa9

leelaa9 IF-Addictz
leelaa9
leelaa9

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 11:11pm | IP Logged
Thank you so much for this wonderful analysis.Clap
Hope your health is completely recovered soon.Smile

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

smile.saramanzilmukulsashashyam

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 11:48pm | IP Logged
Tejaswini, sweetheart,

First things first, I am  very pleased that like the other Jodha, Aishwarya Rai, you too have your priorities absolutely right: first the baby, then your new job at the law firm which must be demanding a lot of not just time but concentration,and only then this forum, even if it is for my threads!

In fact I am flattered that you made time for this long comment, and even more so that you see my JA posts as a the  KC of this forum. It is true that a very large, a surprisingly large number of young people here have been unbelievably sweet and welcoming to me, not only reading my 2-3 pagers but actually asking for more! To have you too here is like icing on my cake.

Yes, the film Mahaam Anga was a very different and far more impressive character, austere and compelling like a Cistercian monk, and she was far more astute in imperial (as distinct from kitchen) politics as well, on the lines of Bairam Khan.This one, occasional flashes apart, is so pedestrian in her cheap negativity. I am also only now getting used to this Jodha.

I agree with you that they should not keep lifting scenes from the film and then  botching them up with their routine soap masala. It is pathetic, and yesterday  was the worst yet. Let us hope it swings upwards from now on!

Affectionately,

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by tejaswiniwenham

My dearest Shyamala Aunty

I have been meaning to write a good long post on your absolutely delightful threads sooner but am so overwhelmed with Vibhav and I've also just joined a law firm- its chaotic. Today I have finally had a bit of time to comment! Whilst I have been throughly enjoying jalal-jodha's flantering, (flirting+bantering) as my mother aptly calls it, sometimes this seems too much like pride and prejudice. its a well loved story but one we've all heard before. jodha still seems to have no realization that her behavior in jalal's darbaar has an impact. she seems like all the other cliche ekta heroines and honestly at times it gets a little tedious. and the chatur jalal at times seems to completely lose sight of what, for a man of his intellectual caliber, should be rather simplistic to figure out- y would jodha put mirchi in his food on purpose- that would shame her parents and completely make all her efforts to keep the truth from them futile! 

this show is definitely the closest ekta has come to fresh since kasautii zindagi kii (prerna's pregnancy was quite a shocker for indian tv i believe). but I completely agree with you about the pouring mirchi in food part. old dhakia nusi kitchen politics such as maham anga in today's episode is just plain boring now. without going into the arguments about this being insulting to maham anga who was a brilliantly shrewd and powerful women, too above any of this silliness, these kind of saas bahu nautanki is plain crass humour that is just simply passe and dull. no one wants to see this.

I believe Ashutosh Gowarikar's film handled this jodha cooking scene with a lot more finesse and fun. in the movie maham anga did try to show down jodha but she does in a very politically correct fashion in court rather than play petty games. and jodha also tactfully handles the situation and skillfully diffuses the tension by asking jalal not to eat a dish because there is too much salt in it. compared to that beautifully handled scene this seems just plain dim witted.

A good advice to the cvs would be- please try to stray from the path taken by jodha akbar the film as much as possible if you can't deliver something better or equally interesting. there will be comparison- thats inevitable. so wouldn't it be better to avoid similar scenes if the delivery of the story line will be uninteresting? it will save them some negative feedback.

Thank you for doing this Shyamala Aunty! This has become the Kools Commentary of this forum for me. Its fantastic!

Tejaswini   

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

tejaswiniwenhamAutumn_Rosemanzilmukul

ashpat IF-Dazzler
ashpat
ashpat

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 11:57pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sashashyam

Thank you,my dear.

No, I was not and am not a writer - this is just  a new hobby -  I was a professional diplomat for all of my working life till I retired recently. You can look me up easily on google, and http://www.flickr.com/photos/menik/2530924779/ has a neat resume. The photo is 9 years old, but it is still a decent likeness!

Shyamala B.Cowsik

i enjoyed reading your analysis. Just curious to know if you are writer? I mean do you have a career related to journalism, writing or literary research?

wow.i am impressed. Congratulation on all your achievements.ClapClapClapClapClapBig smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sashashyam

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 15 August 2013 at 12:42am | IP Logged
Sangeeta, my dear girl,

Whatever would I do without you to pick up all my esoteric bits and pieces and have fun with them?

Chitra Banerjee Devakaruni, whom I got to know on my second posting in Washington in the mid-1990s,  wrote a very unusual book called The Mistress of Spices, which was made into a rather beautiful and fey film with Aishwarya Rai- a perfect piece of casting. I thought of that title, but as there was already a very interesting thread called The King and Queen of Spices, I went for this one. It is  an obvious riff on star-crossed, though so far you seem to be  the only one to have spotted that!

Next, thanks very,very much for picking up the ball and running with it for me, and so successfully too, in fact much better than I could have managed myself. Your linking this whole chilli fiasco up with Piu's amazing angle of the earth being  a common factor between Jalal  and Jodha, as also a healing force (mostly for him, as you have pointed out) raises the analysis to another and, for me, very  deep and soothing plane. Deep and raising might seem to be a contradiction in terms, but that is not really so.

I was simply blown away by the para about Jalal feeling rejected all over again by (what he sees as)  the nurturing he sought from Jodha having become an opportunity for her to deliberately hurt him. It is so very well put, and is so original as well, in terms of perceptiveness.

In short, your take on this is well and truly far away from all the pedestrian negativity and maddening squabbles that are now becoming the staple input in JA, alas!.This last is beginning to dismay me, and does not bode well for the future of this show, at least for me.

I am only sorry that you have not brought in your other fascinating idea of 'the other' ( I am yet to respond  to that post of yours, and probably never will manage it now, given my lousy time management and my eye problem. In fact I replied to Piu's pathbreaking analysis only  yesterday). That too would fit in here quite well.

As for @blue, I agree with you  in toto.  If Jodha had, immediately after issuing a firm and unequivocal denial, rushed to Jalal's side and done something to ease the burning, not out of fear  but out of sheer compassion, only would her character have  gone up several notches and become truly admirable, but the show would have been cut short, at a rough estimate,by  200 episodes.

Both would have manna from Heaven for us, especially the latter. Now we are going to be treated to those 200  episodes of  of yo yoing till the amar premis finally come round to hanging on each other's neck instead of seeking to get  hold of it and squeezing hard, real hard!

Given that the CVs  have fallen back so soon on the  done to death  mirchi  staple, one shudders at the prospect of what lies in store for us; probably every lousy cliche sourced from the Balaji data base of their old soaps, refitted in 16th century togs. And not carefully either, as with Bharmal talking to his ministers about 'Jalal', and not 'the Shahenshah', Ridiculous.

I too hope that the next two days in JA  are uneventful!

Shyamala Aunty

PS: You are a little out about what Jalal says to Jodha at the very end. He says You do not care for my burnt tongue, but you care for the feelings of those other people. You are not frightened of me, but  you are afraid of the ruswayi  of those people. Well, I will now go and tell Raja Bharmalji the truth...So the inference you have drawn there would not hold.

Originally posted by smiletherapy

Spice-crossed lovers! Another fantastic allusion, Aunty!!! Also, loved the reference to Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? ha ha. And another delightful, insightful post Shyamala Aunty, which has sparked some great convo. 

I'm very short on time but cannot resist--so please bear with this somewhat disjointed response. 

It is indeed tiring the common plot points they used for this episode and the fact that they seem to be playing into everything in the same ways. Mainly I'm so annoyed that Jodha didn't clear up the situation--just in a practical sense, wouldn't you want to know if someone was deliberately sabotaging you? Even if you doubt Jalal--which how could you, but then we know Jodha's capable of great blindness when it comes to him--wouldn't you just make sure that he's lying, before dismissing the possibility of another saboteur? I guess she still doesn't recognize the insane crocodile infested waters she's in, nor the queen croc, MA. 

Originally posted by SonyaBlade

I'm having a really hard time understanding that when Jodha has done NOTHING wrong, how is it somehow that everyone manages to blame her still??? 

After all, its not as if he's going to die after eating extra spicy food. That's quite clear with the rant that he's able to produce...somehow his burnt throat didn't prevent him from yelling at her...

And I like this Jodha who is so not concerned about him. he's telling her that his throat is burnt and his face is on fire...and she just doesn't care. Personally I really like this...because I would find it unbelievable if she helps him one moment and then the next rages at how much she hates him. That would be a contradiction to me, this behavior of Jodha's is consistent at least with her acting aloof and distant from him.

Sonya, I don't think there's a contradiction in helping someone you hate. We can always have compassion for our enemies--though granted it's not always wise to do so. Speaking for myself, it irks me that she doesn't seem to care one iota about his burnt tongue, not only b/c she ought to want to clarify the situation and clear her name (and her cooking guru's apparenty--if I understood that dialogue well), BUT mainly b/c of her big reputation as the broken-winged pigeon savior. She's protrayed as a person with all these ideals and also as a compassionate healer. So where's that compassion for the guy she's married to and bound for life? And just practically speaking, why not be compassionate to him here? It costs her nothing to offer him water, or honey to soothe his tongue. She's not losing any dignity by doing so. Gaining some rather. And surely one catches more flies with honey as opposed to spice...Wink

Honestly, I htink if they would play up that angle of her, it would help to explain more about why Jalal is fixated on Jodha as the one who would heal his wounds--which Shyamala Aunty (if I read correctly from some previous posts) seems to suggest have been generated from abandonment issues from his mom. That makes a lot of sense, and makes Piu's amazing catch on the earth symbolism all the more apt and inspiring--Jodha smearing earth on her head; Jalal healing his hands with earth (she is the healing mother earth (matrbhumi) for him; or even a healing Mother India!) With this angle, too perhaps the CV's can begin to bring them closer.

[Added just a few minutes after posting] Oh I forgot to mention--I think also the spice thing further enrages Jalal as it opens up that wound of abandonment/not being cared for, b/c after all food is nourishment and a source of comfort. That he wanted her to feed him, I thin on a deeper level, he wants her to care about him; and feeding someone is one way to do that. So, that he thinks she mirched it up is not just an insult for him him, but another rejection. 

To that end, I thought one of the interesting things Jalal said to Jodha in their final confrontation last night--he seemed to gain insight on her (as he is an ever diligent reader of people and situations)--sthg like "So for you the feelings of others is more important than yourself?!" (my trans might be off-please correct me if it is)  Although he cmae off looking furious--I thought he might have found that impressive as well (as well as another weakness to exploit); and so when he storms off saying he's going to tell Bharmal the truth, I'm hoping that he believes Jodha didn't overmirch his food and instead says sthg about how she impresses him with her concern for others, which lays down another step towards them at least being amicable towards one another??? 

Hats off to everyone by the way for such interesting responses and to Aunty for the great inspiration! I find myself unable to resist responding, even though some serious work deadlines are looming! 

And Aunty, for you and only you, I am hoping that the next two episodes of JA are uneventful. Please, get some rest! 

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 15 August 2013 at 12:46am | IP Logged
Thank you, my dear. But that is all history, and I am now just another stuffy old retiree!Wink

Shyamala B.Cowsik

wow.i am impressed. Congratulation on all your achievements.ClapClapClapClapClapBig smile[QUOTE=sashashyam]Thank you,my dear.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

[QUOTE=ashpat]i enjoyed reading your analysis. Just curious to know if you are writer? I mean do you have a career related to journalism, writing or literary research?

.FemmeFatale. IF-Sizzlerz
.FemmeFatale.
.FemmeFatale.

Posted: 15 August 2013 at 12:59am | IP Logged
I forgot to mention this,but MA adding mirch masala was so saas-bahu-ish and i just wanted to bang my head (no,the head of the cvs actually) against the wall.

nevertheless,i consoled myself with the way they handles Jalal-handling-the mirchi scenes :P

sashashyam

cupid-struck IF-Rockerz
cupid-struck
cupid-struck

Posted: 15 August 2013 at 1:17am | IP Logged
I absolutely LOVE these topics of urs, always a good read. Embarrassed

sashashyam

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Jodha Akbar Topic Index

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index