Jodha Akbar 42: Spice-crossed! (Page 3)

Moontide Goldie
Moontide
Moontide

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 8:17pm | IP Logged
Hey

back in your elements!!!

there's so much that tickles today... 

and loved the tongue firmly in cheek despite the eye. 

Hope its healing well. Do get well fast.

But guess all that red chilli augured well for the red-eye Big smile

From the tall sherbet glasses that caused our Sujamal such difficulties 
to the very Lord Elmsworth like Hamida Banu...to the Shahi bath in muddy waters... to today's very business like Mainawati and the finale... mirch-e-azam...

Hopefully, someday I will succeed in hitting this post at the right time to pen down my two bits.

Woh Raat kabhi toh ayegi!

But as usual, loved your take on the Agra chapter. 
(Agra, resplendent with all its connotations Wink)

Love,
Moontide.

Edited by Moontide - 14 August 2013 at 8:32pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sashashyam

SonaLuvZaSaf IF-Sizzlerz
SonaLuvZaSaf
SonaLuvZaSaf

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 9:55pm | IP Logged
wonderful analysis by everyoneClap !! thank u aunty for PM !! Smile

sashashyam

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 9:56pm | IP Logged
What a delight to connect with a fellow PG Wodehouse fan!  Your mere mention of Lord Emsworth set me off on a nostalgia trip  to all the Blandings Castle books and of course to the monumental (literally and otherwise) Empress of Blandings! With those delights to fall back on, who cares about Jalal and Jodha,and the mirchi or the masala, all so predictable and thus so very tiring? Not me, that is for sure.

Thank you, my friend, for that, and also for noting and liking it that my tongue was here, and often is in general, firmly in my cheek. And for tucking yours there as well!

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Originally posted by Moontide

Hey

back in your elements!!!

there's so much that tickles today... 

and loved the tongue firmly in cheek despite the eye. 

Hope its healing well. Do get well fast.

But guess all that red chilli augured well for the red-eye Big smile

From the tall sherbet glasses that caused our Sujamal such difficulties 
to the very Lord Elmsworth like Hamida Banu...to the Shahi bath in muddy waters... to today's very business like Mainawati and the finale... mirch-e-azam...

Hopefully, someday I will succeed in hitting this post at the right time to pen down my two bits.

Woh Raat kabhi toh ayegi!

But as usual, loved your take on the Agra chapter. 
(Agra, resplendent with all its connotations Wink)

Love,
Moontide.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

gincoMoontidemanzilmukul

jennylives85 Groupbie
jennylives85
jennylives85

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 10:06pm | IP Logged
Aunty sorry to know you still havent recovered...hope you do so soon, we all want to enjoy your posts totally guilt-free :).

Inspite of practically everybody's tirade against Jodha for her lack of sense, compassion, humanity towards a stricken Jalal - well, I find myself taking her side. I mean, shes still very young of age and no matter what royal training, conditioning she underwent, nothing could have prepared her for drunken abuse from her husband.So that last encounter with an angry Jalal must have been foremost on her mind. Isnt it possible she simply parroted "You dont scare me", as a means to assure herself.Despite her apparent composure, how could she not have been afraid of Jalals angry self.
Confused

A couple of days is hardly anything to overcome Jodhas hardened prejudice and lack of trust...hmmm but yes all said and done, the CVs could have handled Jodhas response with a lot more thought.

sashashyam

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 10:08pm | IP Logged
Sonya dear, what I like about you is your consistency of approach.  Of course consistency also leads, fairly soon, to predictability.

You have an image of the perfect Jodha in your mind, to which you  are fiercely addicted. When she seems to conform to that mould, as yesterday,  you are pleased, and when she seems to drift away from it, as on the day before, it exasperates you. It is all a predictable pattern, and these characters also yo yo from one situation to the other, so it is almost as if Ekta plans her scripts with such reactions in mind.

I, on the other hand, do not care much  for any of these characters, and my responses to them are situational, again varying from one episode to another, but for a different reason from yours.

I  am waiting for the day when you will surprise me by being unpredictable.

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by SonyaBlade

I'm having a really hard time understanding that when Jodha has done NOTHING wrong, how is it somehow that everyone manages to blame her still??? 

After all, its not as if he's going to die after eating extra spicy food. That's quite clear with the rant that he's able to produce...somehow his burnt throat didn't prevent him from yelling at her...

And I like this Jodha who is so not concerned about him. he's telling her that his throat is burnt and his face is on fire...and she just doesn't care. Personally I really like this...because I would find it unbelievable if she helps him one moment and then the next rages at how much she hates him. That would be a contradiction to me, this behavior of Jodha's is consistent at least with her acting aloof and distant from him.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

manzilmukulAutumn_Rose

pallavi003 IF-Dazzler
pallavi003
pallavi003

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 10:16pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sashashyam

Okay, folks, I am not losing the plot and repeating episode numbers. This is the real No. 42, and I had goofed up and skipped a number last night. And no, at my age, it was not the after effect of that hamaam scene!Wink  Thanks a lot to Zoyafan and QuiNotti  who alerted me to it ever so discreetly. Who says GenX does not have beautiful, considerate manners?

I was in two minds today about posting anything, and only partly because my left eye has not yet quite made up its mind if it wants to stop imitating a tomato.

It was more because the episode left me feeling rather tired and also a bit sad about  the vagaries of human nature. Plus the terminally soapy device of pretending for the sake of the khushi or bhalayi of someone or the other, and lying thru one's teeth to that end,  is enough to  set my teeth on edge; every single saas bahu serial, without exception, has it. 

The truth is always the safer bet, and then it can be sugar-coated as desired, but the denizens of TV soapland are in love with untruth, and the more blatant the better. So is  Jodha now, apparently believing that the charade she has embarked upon can be kept up indefinitely. Let us get the score on this operation, beginning yesterday.

Jodha-Jalal: the score yesterday: Okay, so she wants that, and of course she needs Jalal's sustained cooperation to carry it thru. So she goes -  after some strong persuasion for the extremely practical Motibai, who has 10 times as much commonsense as her mistress -  to see Jalal. He agrees to oblige her and, after some coaching,  to lie thru his  perfect pearly whites for her sake.

She in turn, helps him bathe, most reltouctantly, it is true, but still she does it. If she had had any sense of humour, she would have dissolved in infectious laughter at her own plight,  and Ekta's serial would have been shortened by about 200 episodes! But our Jodha is not burdened with this attribute, so she does not appreciate her spouse's mischievous grins.

So far, they are quits.

Jodha-Jalal: the score today: Now for today's happenings. Jalal is extra welcoming and warm to Bharmal and Mynavati. He lays it on thick about Jodha to her mother. A hint of a grateful smile  is  visible on Jodha's face.It is, however,  immediately chased away by Jalal mentioning, with a straight face,  but an impish gleam in his eye, meant for Jodha,  that she had learnt a new rivaaz  from him,  at one try, the day before. Like Queen Victoria, Jodha is not amused!  Round 1 to Jalal.

To pay him back for that mischievous sally, Jodha scolds him for coming into the room with Lord Krishna's idol with his jootis on. Jalal must have wondered, at this point,  why all his khaas Begums seem to  be eternally after his beloved jootis!  His eyes, as he slowly raises them to Jodha's, look almost grim - for it is a very cheeky remark - but he makes a quick recover, and apologises, blaming his forgetfulness. Mynavati is amazed at the good humour of her javaisa,  and Jodha smiles in secret triumph. Round 2 to Jodha.

Not one to go down without a fight, Jalal now hints  very broadly  at perfect conjugal felicity between Jodha and himself, mentioning her having pulled him up about the jootis the night before too, and wondering about the wounds on her arm (from the broken bangles of  the night before last) which, he says, were not there the previous night.  Jodha turns pink with embarrassment at the implications of his remarks; and as Jalal  leaves, the two of them eye each other like Kilkenny cats, eager for the next sparring match.

Maybe the bangle bit was rather insensitive, but the rest of it is  a perfectly legit, no holds barred boxing bout, from which Jalal retires having won on points. This is not yet the self-destructive spousal hostility of Who is afraid of Virginia Woolf .

Alas, this is soon going to change, and change drastically, for the worse, after the Mahaam-induced fiasco of Begum Jodha's  lazeez khana.  

Pre-Chilli: Coming to that, I wondered why the Shahenshah eats in solitary state. Even if Bharmal cannot join because of the beti ke ghar paani bhi nahin peete rule (I was in fact looking to see whether Bharmal  had a water bottle, or the 16th century equivalent thereof, tucked away in his choga. But perhaps, since he is a son of the desert, he shares the ability of the ship of the desert to go on for days without the aforesaid paani!Wink), what of Bhagwan Das and Mansingh?  Both of them are obviously exempt from the paani nahin peete fiat, since both have been both eating and drinking in the palace for weeks now.  If one or both of them had sat down to the meal with Jalal, Mahaam would never have pulled that stunt, as it would have been spotted  with the first mouthful either of them took.

Next, Jodha has at least 5  maids in attendance all the  time. Not one of them, not even Motibai,   has the notion of  being watchful and making sure their special khana was safe;  instead they all  sashay off in Jodha's wake.  Staff is the same everywhere and in every age, never where they should be!

Plus, this chilli stunt is as old as the hills and as boring; it is unworthy of the quality we have got used to in Jodha Akbar. And the explanations for Jalal eating it till he practically has smoke coming out of his ears  -imperial pride, wanting to keep his word to Jodha etc. - are all nonsense. He could have put an end to it after the first bite by jokingly asking Bharmal if they  preferred such red hot food to match the  fiery Rajput temperament, and the cat would have been out of the bag at once.  It is pathetic, this screenplay.

Post-Chilli:  Having skimmed thru the vigorous arguments in MoronskiMallika's thread,  for and against Jodha and for and against Jalal,  I feel that both of them are  OTT, Jalal furiously and Jodha mulishly.

But he is the one more sinned against than sinning. He has treated Bharmal and Mynavati with great courtesy and  consideration, he has been very kind to Mansingh (even if Jodha sees this as aimed at corrupting the young  man), and he has lied manfully  to please Jodha and keep her parents not just happy but in the seventh heaven of parental joy and satisfaction . Against all this, what are  few mischievous sallies  at Jodha's expense ? So, in the pre-chilli phase, she owes him  a good bit.

Why then  does Jodha assume that he is making up the chilli complaint? If she had taken even a single look at him while he was eating, she would have known that something was badly wrong. But  of course she does not. Even  without that, a look at him pouring all that water down his throat as she is coming into  the room should have alerted her.

Her response to his fierce question as to why she did it, that she has no bhay of him,  is bizarre.

When Hanuman returned from Lanka with Sita's token for Lord Rama, he announces, as soon  as he is in Rama's presence,  Dekha Sitaji ko. He wants to spare Rama even that one extra  split second of anxiety, the time taken to pronounce  the  2 more words,  if he had said Sitaji ko dekha.

So also here, Jodha should have said at  once Nahin kiya maine! The categoric negative, accompanied by the info that Mahaam Anga had tasted the food and found it lazeez, plus a word of concern for his pain and a move to get him some honey to soothe his burnt tongue -  and Jalal would not only have believed her and launched a successful  investigation to nail the culprits, but he would have instantly  forgotten all his ills.

There is no point in  listing out all his misdeeds  of 2 days back. He was drunk then,  but yesterday, and more so today, sober as a judge, he has turned up trumps for the  wife whom he had promised to make  miserable. Does Jodha even try to think thru  that if he really meant what he said to her that night, why then is  he now putting up  the show which she desperately wants, and why is he being  extra considerate and obliging to her parents?  No, she does not, for she does not want  her hatred of Jalal, which is by now an axiom for her, to be diluted by any such analysis or any contrary facts.

I simply could not understand  the folly of her simply repeating that she is not afraid of him. Which of course drives him to furious, over the top imprecations and threats, plus a great deal of outraged rhetoric about what is owed to the dignity of a Shahenshah.

I was also taken aback by her totally ignoring the hurt he has suffered, not   offering  at least a sliver of sympathy,  and not insisting on the incident be investigated at once by Jalal. The way she behaves, harping on what she would  not do while her parents were in Agra,  would, even in an unconcerned bystander, only reinforce the conviction that she-dun-it.  It all goes to prove that if there is one thing Begum Jodha does not have, it is sound practical sense,  plus some understanding even of 'the other' to borrow Sangeeta's evocative phrase.

Jodha is a perfect Scarlett O'Hara to Jalal's Rhett Butler, and their interactions have the same sharp edge, and the same, unfailing ability to get the other's back up and to maul whatever it is that is budding between them. The only difference is that  here, unlike the muted tragedy of Gone with the Wind, not even Ekta Kapoor can change the happy ending. But what I  fear is that the longer such unnecessarily harsh interactions between them continue, the more difficult will it be for the CVs to effect the eventual transition to a loving and trusting relationship  gracefully and convincingly.

Thought for the day: It  seem to be  the general consensus that by conferring the 5000 level Mansubedari on Bharmal,  Jalal  has gained a substantial politico-military advantage, by co-opting the Rajputs to fight for the Mughals instead of against them. This might well  be true for the long term, for   after all Akbar reigned for all of  49 years. But right now, seeing the way the Amer forces, reinforced by Suryabhan's troops, fared against Sharifuddin,  I personally think Jalal will be paying out 30000 asharfis a month  for a langda ghoda that cannot even trot, not to speak of winning races!Wink  

Shyamala B.Cowsik

I suppose for the first time I have some different POvs on certain things regarding last episode..Smile As for Jalal-Jodha's mini verbal war over the food fiasco , I think the sole reason for this is the lack of trust on each other. The trust which is the foundation stone of any successful relationship, they are missing out for each other. As jalal doesn't believe that Jodha is not lying to him as does she. So basically if it was not MA it could be anyone who can build a wall of misunderstanding between them easily..
For Jalal the reason as he thinks Jodha can play this cheap trick to him is as he partially forced her last day to bathe him and Jodha had to obey him reluctantly for the sake of her parents. so right now Jodha is taking revenge for that . From Jalal's POV Jodha knows  whatever be the situation, Jalal would keep his words as  till then he did not show any disrespect or utter any
word that could probably hurt jodha's parent which he could have done easily  as it was not necessary that he had to keep his promise..But he did. so she taking the advantage of his promise. 

On the other hand from Jodha's POv jalal doesn't miss any chance to humiliate her. And for her it's really too tough to believe that really the food was pungent as she herself tasted it. 

So if we follow this two egoistic people thoroughly what we get is both doesn't understand each other, doesn't believe each other and ain't well-acquainted with each other fully. They have no idea what the other one can do and what is beyond their imagination, What can hurt their dignity and what makes them proud. And I really doubt aunty if Jodha would have said that MA also tasted the food and jalal should ask her but still  jalal wouldn't have questioned her as it indirectly states that Jalal was lying to frame her .

P.S- take care of your eyes aunty and get well soon..Smile

Edited by PallaviDas003 - 14 August 2013 at 10:19pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

gincosashashyamStar_girlleelaa9

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 10:17pm | IP Logged
Jenny, what I  am  beginning to dislike about the show is its tiresome reliance on the worst cliches of TVdom, like the mirchi, and the reaction of both sides to it.

I do not see how Jalal could have thought it was anything but Jodha trying plague him taking advantage of his promise - it was like a locked room mystery: she was the chef and how did it get so spicy under her supervision if she had not done it herself?  But then these are all so standard issue, and any novelty they could have introduced by  making Jodha react with instinctive and disarming compassion to his suffering was of course not even thought of by the CVs, it would seem.

If JA goes on like this, and very likely gets worse, there will be no problem for my poor eye, for I will quit rather than spend my time analysing such tripe. I came here only because it promised to be fresh and appealing; I did not sign up for stale leftovers from a  bunch of other serials.  I can always rewatch the (much superior) film.

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by jennylives85

Aunty sorry to know you still havent recovered...hope you do so soon, we all want to enjoy your posts totally guilt-free :).

Inspite of practically everybody's tirade against Jodha for her lack of sense, compassion, humanity towards a stricken Jalal - well, I find myself taking her side. I mean, shes still very young of age and no matter what royal training, conditioning she underwent, nothing could have prepared her for drunken abuse from her husband.So that last encounter with an angry Jalal must have been foremost on her mind. Isnt it possible she simply parroted "You dont scare me", as a means to assure herself.Despite her apparent composure, how could she not have been afraid of Jalals angry self.
Confused

A couple of days is hardly anything to overcome Jodhas hardened prejudice and lack of trust...hmmm but yes all said and done, the CVs could have handled Jodhas response with a lot more thought.

Edited by sashashyam - 14 August 2013 at 11:54pm

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

jennylives85gincoStar_girlmanzilmukulelasinghleelaa9

.FemmeFatale. IF-Sizzlerz
.FemmeFatale.
.FemmeFatale.

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 10:24pm | IP Logged
Haaye haaye mirchi LOL 

Jalal's humility bowled me over yesterday.the ideal jamaai saa.Menavati was pretty pleased with him,much to Jodha's relief.he did keep his word,didn't he?

As u described it,it seemed like a game which had several rounds and each of them won, one round or the other LOL 

The mirchi scene,i must say,Jalal turned out to be be way better than I thought.He didn't explode in public,instead he chose to do it in private.

I found Jodha's reaction lacking.I mean,yeah,she didn't do anything wrong and all.But still,when someone is accusing you,however righteous you might be,you tend to clarify it.But she didn't Confused She simply went on saying "aap humein daraa nahi sakte"

After a lot of repetition of that dialogue,Jalal finally gets the hint that somebody else must have done the deed,but she doesn't go ahead and elaborating it.So Jalal also let go of it and forgot about this possibility.

Jodha's reaction seemed believable in the beginning of this conversation,but as it progressed,it made em feel restless and i just wanted to scream saying "lady!go taste the food!" and ""arre usko bola vistaar se ki someone else has done it!" 

I feel she should have been a bit more shocked and baffled atleast at such an outpour.

And no,feeding such food was not a minor issue back then.It was a big issue,but Jalal turned out to be a way better human being than everyone thinks he is.

p.s : shyamala aunty,you should consider taking more rest! 

Edited by disha15 - 14 August 2013 at 10:26pm

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

gincosmile.saramanzilmukulsashashyamAutumn_RoseStar_girl....Poojie....elasinghleelaa9

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Jodha Akbar Topic Index

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index