Saraswatichandra

Crisp Bytes SC - 14th Aug 13 (Page 8)

Arshics IF-Sizzlerz
Arshics
Arshics

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 9:32pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by IdiotViewer

Hey Arshi, 

Not venturing an analysis, per se. Highly let down by today's offering. Your CB was the only saving grace of my "holistic SC experience" today.

Instead, breaking tradition, have gone thru CB first before posting. Hgg bhai, a delight to see you still actively engaged, imparting logic and consistency at a time it is severely wanting Thumbs Up

Happy, that was a brilliant VM, a very unusual and charming concept. Very classily done. Huge props to the maker, and thank you, my friend for sharing such a marvellous fusion with us Embarrassed

smrth Bhai, I did not like the relegating of Guniyal to be honest, but consoled myself that maybe Dukhbaa might take the bull by its horns, to speak... Watching that "game" today, was a low blow. It seemed to be making a mockery of when that "game" was first played. So charming and innocent then. Full of deceit and blind eyes today. Vaudeville at its worst, unintentionally funny. What of Dukhbaa's proclamations now, more WHY Dukhbaa's proclamations NOW? Dead

Arshi, a point... I won't be too surprised if SC remains "Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Saraswatichandra" till its very end. There is a charge to the above that takes expectations and prestige associated with work to another level altogether. Also, SLB is most assuredly not signing off on what we're currently seeing anymore. Last Wed's epi was the last of SLB supervised, and for me it represented the pinnacle of what SC was all about. The prevailing grammar has shifted now. But I take huge solace in the fact that SLB did not walk out and abandon his small-screen dream in the most callous of ways. He did not opt out. He in fact offered to take SC to a beautiful end but his vision was negated in favor of a strict commercial mandate. If anything, I salute the man for not doing gaddari with his kalaa. Not for television rating points. Sphere Origins are merely caretakers... Think of SC as having gone into "recievership" now... Both SP and Sphere will mutually benefit from this agreement. Sphere gets further goodwill from SP for IPKKND2 and SP, in turn, gets a PH who will strictly adhere to their "vision" for SC. A vision spelt in green and in three - TRP/TVT. They will cater to SP's demands and sugestions for show and script and push SC to a 'conclusion' whereupon they can finally concentrate on their own. I say, SC deserved better. This is also indicative of the rut television lies in. A rut it has made its happy home. Highly resistant to any change. Television needs to be evicted from 'home'. Needs to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future, IMHO. 

Makes sense Ivy, SLB keeps his stamp on the serial, but washes his hands off all creative thought. 

And sphere options - maybe it was a package deal. 

But why is any attempt to push the envelop blocked? SP, with its huge viewership base is in the best position to have at least one niche show, with steady TRP, free to experiment. 

Must every show fit into the formula and be money and number making? 

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

hotdogg-Ivy-twilaInfofan

-Ivy- Goldie
-Ivy-
-Ivy-

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 10:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Reemz*

I think you guys are letting the offscreen speculations getting to your views on the episode way too much. Utkarsh has been writing the episodes and he has not been informed of the show ending so why would he pen any scenes to suggest they're closing anything up? Secondly, I thought last week was FANTASTIC! So powerful. You can't have an intense Saras-Kumud scene in every episode otherwise it loses its essence. They have to come at the right time to have the right effect.

Everyone was loving last weeks episodes but unfortunately the speculations behind the scenes ONCE AGAIN are effecting peoples views this week.  What is so terrible about the episodes that one has to think so negatively? 

Nothing in the show has been shown half-heartedly to suggest that things are being twisted for TRPs. You have your high-drama days and some days are more relaxed.

It's a shame but seeking for positivity in this forum is almost like finding water in the desert at times.

Reemz... Let me begin by stating I admire your staunch positivity in the show. It's a pillar one can lean upon. However and tho this is most intentionally not, if my following be deemed a trespass, then I beg your indulgence and offer my sincerest pardons from the outset:

The way I see it, just as for Saras and Kumud, for us CB folks too, it has mostly been about hadd's and haq's... Since we have made such a huge intellectual, emotional, personal investment in the show, if we can toss bouquets (or in my case, *standin-frickin-ovation* with full heart), then so can we twist brickbats with a heavy, let-down heart. That is the claim (haq) we exert on the show as ardent audiences. Why champion and commend when we don't mean it, when we can't see it, when we cannot believe in it, no longer. Wouldn't that be we 'belittling' our investment? 

The second, that of hadd, of limits... What drew me to CB was its democracy, its innate "maverick" nature, the huge fact that this turf was/is wholly non-discriminatory... Every post made has substance, disagreements are conducted in a civil manner, each pov is wholly welcomed and debated with merits. I haven't seen you post much on CB, maybe the majority of your contributions were made before my arrival, while your posts in the main forum have mostly been made in appreciation of J. In CB, our hadd is that when we "analyse", we do not let any other external factors come in between, all our extra-curricular knowlege to the contrary. We make our own discussions, so to speak. Sometimes in our zeal, going beyond the show (intellect-wise), even at the risk of being deemed terms non-complimentary.

Hence, I strongly disagree, our discussions are not "tainted" whatsoever. We are not so challenged that we cannot distinguish and appreciate strictly on professional merits. I feel the need to put that strictly on record. I can think of better investing my time and energy than imparting 'negativity' in my 800-1000 words on average, posts. That would be just churlish of me. We do it out of love for show, out of a sense of comradeship we are encouraged to contribute, and secure in the belief that we will never be discredited crudely, we are strengthened to put dissenting views, doubts, and 'rants' across. 

Now while I appreciate your push for positivity always, I sadly find a consistent 'lack' in your posts on CB. Today, I sincerely invite you, to humor me, and rectify that lack. Your positivity is ever present but the basis, the foundation for that positivity is ever-left-wanting. When we impart "pessimism" we do it with theories no less, to back it up. With examples from show, with reasons that are then debated if need be. And if proven wrong, we are gracious to admit. The atmosphere of CB is such. But your words, are like a 'reprimand', you pull us up straight but then you show us nowhere to go. 

In that unique CB spirit, Reemz, @Bold... May I invite you, to tell us the opposite... What was it about last week's epi (after Wed's that is), that you found so "fantastic"? And what is there in the current and continuing episodes that gives you so much hope? Not requesting an "essay"... Just a few thoughts, examples will suffice. Your POV, distinct from the prevailing one of pessimism, that we can then debate and ponder upon. Maybe go back to the episodes and watch them in a new light? You maybe right, and we wrong. Well, requesting you for a chance to show us the light... No body here much prefers the dark =)

Edited by IdiotViewer - 14 August 2013 at 10:09pm

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

hotdoggsmrthSiri22twilahappychappyKK84InfofanArshics

pasumarthisa IF-Dazzler
pasumarthisa
pasumarthisa

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 10:15pm | IP Logged
Regarding the letter issue. 

Many didn't like saras being projected as a hero. But I didn't think it was heroic and there was no such projection. He was careless but covered it well is all I could see. There is a lot of consistency in his efforts to push the cause of Kumud's welfare. He had a similar talk with Mrs BD. Today he tried with Alak. And BD joined.

Kumud's letter is straight out of the original. Here it was made a kavita that could be interpreted as about pramaad.

Everyone is making decisions for kumud. Except saras. Agree that he is living dangerously and putting kumud in a spot. But his sincerity in trying to make BD family more sensitive to kumud's state has been shown for a while right from pallu epi. It's not sudden

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

-Ivy-happychappyKK84InfofanArshics

HydroxyGroup IF-Rockerz
HydroxyGroup
HydroxyGroup

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 10:23pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by shana0127

@anki i love ur cute jenny pics ...she looked so cute and typical Indian teenager in her teens

thnk u shanaEmbarrassed few months ago star network's YT channel star classic has uploaded all epis of their  popular series in HD... so this all pics frm sanju's magic pencil wala Shaka Laka Boom Boom...the chotu jen playd hobby teacher pia's character...nd the dressing style is jus lyk hw it used to b 10 yrs ago...though it is more of lyk jia of sharaarat...

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

twilaShanUlas

-Ivy- Goldie
-Ivy-
-Ivy-

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 10:27pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by arshicritic

Makes sense Ivy, SLB keeps his stamp on the serial, but washes his hands off all creative thought. 

And sphere options - maybe it was a package deal. 

But why is any attempt to push the envelop blocked? SP, with its huge viewership base is in the best position to have at least one niche show, with steady TRP, free to experiment. 

Must every show fit into the formula and be money and number making? 

@Bold, not SLB Arshi, SP will. SLB is very particular about such. He will only lend his name to his particular 'vision". But SP sees the huge advantage in calling show "SLB's SC"... Maybe I'm wrong but and there is a strong likelihood, that Sphere will only be puppets dancing to the tunes of the puppet-masters (SP). Let's see =)

Bold2: Million dollar question, Arshi. It's all a numbers game at the end. A constant strive to get to the top and then a constant battle to stay at the top. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown and all that. SP is too commercial-minded, too fearful and too fickle. Their "Nayi Soch" is simply a marketing gimmick. Their core TRP giving audience is too set in their television-habit ways, and SP is content to merely fulfill supply demands. For them, the grass is always greener on the other side. Their allegiance and loyalty is not to any show or viewers choice per se, but to what takes the general fancy and brings them more TRP's. They are all about the immediate. Thus, all their shows are "disposable" and prone to face the axe at any frickin' time, in favor of a better 'option'... And that option too will invariably suffer same fate in favor of another 'better'. It is but a vicious circle and SP is churning its wheels in the same place Ouch

Edited by IdiotViewer - 14 August 2013 at 10:28pm

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

hotdoggsmrthtwilaHydroxyGroupInfofanArshics

Arshics IF-Sizzlerz
Arshics
Arshics

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 10:53pm | IP Logged
@Santhi, ivy 

Though your posts are very different about different points altogether, but my reply is the same, just bear with me for a while and hopefully you will see why 

Santhi the letter from Saras becoming his heroism - is an apprehension I have that it is a part of the plan to pander to TRPs, the point of Ivys post. 

These are the things that have been going on - 

Dukhbas proclamation of Kumud sasural nahi jayegi 

BDs remorse over Kumud Pramaad marriage 

BD turning to Saras for Kumud's protection

Alak taking a pro Kumud stand after Saras highlights Kumud's plight

Umess reappearing 

All these maybe to make Saras the shining hero, and Kumud the hapless victim

Any widow remarriage in TV is still shown as not the woman wanting marriage for herself, or falling in love again, it has always been out of a sense of duty, for the sake of parivar, and with the blessings of the sasural 

So according to 'nayi soch' it's ok to remarry, but only if elders deem it so! To move on and to want to enter into a new relationship for own self is still not accepted 

Here too I fear, ground is being laid for the same. So Saras Kumud union will happen because elders ESP her sasural walas will deem it right, and be the magnanimous heros with nayi soch 

Not because Kumud and Saras, are ready to forgive and forget and give their love another chance

Just like last time, Kumud will bow down to family wishes, we shall all be happy 

And none will question that under these conditions, Saras Kumud marriage is as wrong as pramaad Kumud marriage.

After a disastrous abusive marriage which ends in tragedy, that she would need time and closure, time to rebuild, time to dil se forgive Saras, rebuild that which was broken and only then think of marriage again , will be conveniently pushed aside 

That's what's bothering me with the letter business, that it is a laying of future track with SP soch, and not SLB dream. 

And hence the common reply to both of you. 

I hope I made sense

hotdogg-Ivy-happychappytwilaS.StephyInfofan

smrth Goldie
smrth
smrth

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 10:55pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by smrth

Dugba'!Confused Her re 'awakening', is an eyesore disfigurement of source nuances, that even a casual reader would have noticed. Lousy. It unnecessarily fogs one of the strongest aspect of the original- Guniyal. But how bogus? For all din DB elicits, she is only messing up. A noisome adaption, much better if we would have been spared. But more humbug, real mother is noticeably kept aside. Why? Here she is, broadly mentioned as real life line of the clan; discreet, prudent and sharp. Why do they write her suddenly so off in case of her own daughter?? Did they forget, how natural Real Mothr-Daughter always come through?... But no. They gotta have Kumud's 'baby' rush to pseudo mother! As real parents were watching a 'drama'.OuchAnd a spurious melodrama, at that.Dead But unwittingly it reflects bent of the things that appears on card. Changes and shifts everywhere. Less sensible and more 'claps'. While real Potential and good sensibilities, 'go take a back seat.' Here are formulae, presumablySleepy fitter for instant TRPs and channels's GEC ratings. Welcome cacophony- as she makes good rattling sounds,'dug dug' ba.
And NavinSaras. He is fitting the bill. Trouble inventor. Until he effects a 'rescue'.Ouch

So agree with you smrth, dug dug ba, priceless

I remember you being bothered her being referred to as Dugba, instead of dukhba! Now we can treat that as a flash of brilliance and not an error! 

It had TRP pleasing written all over it! And such a contrast to PMS night, it was Guniyal's unquestioning faith that Kumud couldn't face, not dukhbas loud proclamations of Meri Kumud. 

And it was Gun's pragmatic handling of the issue that gave Kumud the desired peace, dukhba was kept out of that scene completely, and how powerful that was! 

All this dhol bajana, very TRP! 
We may see a power play Dukhbaa today Arshi. More 'concerned' and more 'upfront'. She would 'match' Pramaad and give him run for his every cents and 'shouts'. This I am sure. A Sumo Champion of 'cause' Kumud. Nothing wrong. Good and 'empowered'. But where would it all fit in the actual plot where story is poised otherwise?  For many good claps she may elicit, may one see hollowness/artifice? Needles usurpation? Why are real parents so subsumed? Why could we not see a more natural progression? Especially, when we know that Guniyal- Kumud has a good finesse available.
Is this to accommodate more weighty artists only? Here let me clarify. I have respect for Ragini. I had liked her  performance in two three Gujarati plays. Once at a very close range- at Prithvi or NCPA- don't remember exactly where.  She has a powerful presence and good act. Only thing, she is carrying stage habit of somewhat theatric loudness here too. And that is somehow not gelling too well for me. My protest is artificiality. Content, I too will applaud, as today I may. LOL

Edited by smrth - 14 August 2013 at 11:12pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

hotdogg-Ivy-twilaInfofanArshics

Arshics IF-Sizzlerz
Arshics
Arshics

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 11:37pm | IP Logged

Dugba'!Confused Her re 'awakening', is an eyesore disfigurement of source nuances, that even a casual reader would have noticed. Lousy. It unnecessarily fogs one of the strongest aspect of the original- Guniyal. But how bogus? For all din DB elicits, she is only messing up. A noisome adaption, much better if we would have been spared. But more humbug, real mother is noticeably kept aside. Why? Here she is, broadly mentioned as real life line of the clan; discreet, prudent and sharp. Why do they write her suddenly so off in case of her own daughter?? Did they forget, how natural Real Mothr-Daughter always come through?... But no. They gotta have Kumud's 'baby' rush to pseudo mother! As real parents were watching a 'drama'.OuchAnd a spurious melodrama, at that.Dead But unwittingly it reflects bent of the things that appears on card. Changes and shifts everywhere. Less sensible and more 'claps'. While real Potential and good sensibilities, 'go take a back seat.' Here are formulae, presumablySleepy fitter for instant TRPs and channels's GEC ratings. Welcome cacophony- as she makes good rattling sounds,'dug dug' ba.
And NavinSaras. He is fitting the bill. Trouble inventor. Until he effects a 'rescue'.Ouch

So agree with you smrth, dug dug ba, priceless

I remember you being bothered her being referred to as Dugba, instead of dukhba! Now we can treat that as a flash of brilliance and not an error! 

It had TRP pleasing written all over it! And such a contrast to PMS night, it was Guniyal's unquestioning faith that Kumud couldn't face, not dukhbas loud proclamations of Meri Kumud. 

And it was Gun's pragmatic handling of the issue that gave Kumud the desired peace, dukhba was kept out of that scene completely, and how powerful that was! 

All this dhol bajana, very TRP! 
We may see a power play Dukhbaa today Arshi. More 'concerned' and more 'upfront'. She would 'match' Pramaad and give him run for his every cents and 'shouts'. This I am sure. A Sumo Champion of 'cause' Kumud. Nothing wrong. Good and 'empowered'. But where would it all fit in the actual plot where story is poised otherwise?  For many good claps she may elicit, may one see hollowness/artifice? Needles usurpation? Why are real parents so subsumed? Why could we not see a more natural progression? Especially, when we know that Guniyal- Kumud has a good finesse available.
Is this to accommodate more weighty artists only? Here let me clarify. I have respect for Ragini. I had liked her  performance in two three Gujarati plays. Once at a very close range- at Prithvi or NCPA- don't remember exactly where.  She has a powerful presence and good act. Only thing, she is carrying stage habit of somewhat theatric loudness here too. And that is somehow not gelling too well for me. My protest is artificiality. Content, I too will applaud, as today I may. LOL

Even if its not Raginiji demanding more screen space, it certainly seems to be playing to the gallery. Dukhba is the more powerful character - power as in ability for theatrics! 

Reminds me of Tulsi Virani after the generation leap. Whereas, the gentle kind yet pragmatic Guniyal will not get that kind of front bench support . So again as TRP soch ! 

A dukhba who can now rant about her miserable past and fix Kumud's future is far more dramatic than a Guniyal, who can peep into her daughters heart and gently nudge her towards taking a step in the direction of fixing her life - not very meter shaking! 

Edited by arshicritic - 14 August 2013 at 11:38pm

hotdoggsmrth-Ivy-happychappytwilaInfofan

Go to top