India-Forums

Devon ke Dev Mahadev
Devon ke Dev Mahadev

Aug 3-12 episodes - Some Musings

Angie12 IF-Rockerz
Angie12
Angie12

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 3:28am | IP Logged
Just writing some random thoughts on last few episodes of Mahadev.  After somewhat few shoddy episodes, I liked yesterday's episode. There was an improvement in execution and treatment of the story.  So here it goes - likes and confusion about various character.  I am not writing about characters that are shown as one dimensional - Raavan and Meghnad.

Sita & her family

1.  As I have written before,  I am liking Sita's characterization the best in this version of Ramayan.  She is gentle and soft as has been described in various versions.  Yet her character is spunky who enjoys moments.  Also they have depicted her falling for Ram very well.  So I like this Sita who answers back Ram even if in a gentle manner when he tries to lecture her.   

2.  I liked the scene where Urmila and Sita went for deer sightseeing.  But then Sita promptly forgot both about deer and Urmila when she spotted Ram instead.  So Sita had actually gone for Ram sightseeing while telling Urmila that she wanted to see the deer.  So instead of searching for Urmila or waiting for her, she decided to let Ram walk her to her palace.  Thank God Urmila had her knife to protect her from intruders.

3.  I liked yesterday's depiciton of Sita's family the way they showed a natural relationship between Sita and Sunaina or between Urmila and Sita.  This is a close family where blood relationship is not important.  So liked the scene of how Sita was lying with her head in Sunanina's lap or the way Urmila was teasing her slyly in front of Sunaina.  Nice scene between a mother and two daughters with a natural worry of a mother.  Also the scene between Urmila and Sita was  nice when Urmila was teasing Sita about looking for Ram in Swayamvar hall.  Then Sita's crestfallen expression after coming to know that Ram was not going to try to string the bow as he had just come to swayamvar as a tourist.

Urmila

Urmila is an important but a neglected character in Ramayan.  In that sense, she is like a blank canvass where a writer can fill in the gaps depending on his/her perception.  Some have shown her character as a strong one who survived 14 years of lonely life.  Here that is how her character is interpreted.  

What I like so far is the freshness of her relationship with Sita which instead of being shown in a stuffy manner is shown in a very natural manner - the way two sisters close in age are.  Also I like how they have shown her as a vivacious somewhat hyper character who is a perfect foil to Sita.

But knife wielding Urmila?????  I was feeling for this new gentle Lakshman (more on this later) on what Urmila will do to him when he decides to keep her in Ayodhya and decide to join Ram and Sita in their exile expedition.  When she can show him knife for just stealing some fruits, imagine her ferocity later on when Laksman makes more serious mistakes.  Not that I would mind her showing that knife to Manthra and then Kakayi.  

Ram

I had only seen one episode where kid Ram was shown as I just started watching this Ramayan from an episode prior to Mahaepisode onwards.  So far I had liked kid Ram more than adult Ram.  I have liked Ram's characterization in parts, but he has confused me in some places. 

But after watching Mahadev from scratch, I am beginning to understand Ram's characterization.  As I am watching a lot of Mahadev simultaneously (current and past),  I am dividing Mahadev serial into three parts in my mind - Mahadev I (Sati era),  Mahadev II (Parvati era) and Mahadev III (Ramayan era).  
There were similarities and circles in Mahadev I and Mahadev II (prior to his marriage with Parvati) in how he was resisting the relationship with both Sati and Parvati.  Mahdev III is Ram where Ram is also acting like Mahadev lecturing Sita about duties and responsibilities while trying to stay away from her.  That's why I liked Sita's answer to Ram that how does wishing for a partner whom she desires but who would also lift the bow and string it deviates her from her duties.

Anyway,  Mahadev is Ram's buddy who is approving of his ways.  Well why shouldn't he?  He too behaved in the same manner two times - first with Sati and then Parvati.  So Mahadev is calling Ram thinking of interests of others over his own, while Sita only being interested in her own issues.  Hmm...are they setting grounds to justify Ram's behavior after he became king?  

Lakshman

Lakshman is the character who is confusing me the most.  Just as Ram is Mahadev,  Lakshman has become a combination of Ram and somebody else (cannot think of anybody at the moment).  Lakshman who was hot tempered but ethical is taking short cuts to pluck fruits.  He is also getting tired after a small jaunt in the garden when he was able to walk with Ram for 14 years and gave up on sleep to look after Ram/Sita.  

Then on top of that, he is such a gentle soul that he is trying to placate Urmila after she shows him the knife.  So far he has not shown even a tiny flash of anger.  So I am beginning to worry about what will happen when Parshuram comes raging after the breaking of bow.  Who will argue and fight with him?  Maybe it will be Mahadev who will appear in front of Parshuram and does his shastrath with him.  Maybe that's why Lakshman is now so gentle and sweet.  Or maybe it will be Mahadev and Urmila who will be arguing with Parshuram.  Urmila can always show him her knife for daring to question Ram - the husband of her beloved sister.

The antics of Hanuman:

I like how they are showing these events in flashback with Shiv narrating antics of Hanuman to Parvati.   The kid playing little Hanuman is very cute.  But something is not gelling for me - the execution or script or something despite stories being aunthetic.  Maybe I have seen better animated versions of little Hanuman that this part of the show is not coming up to par for me.  

Finally,

Yay,  Sita got a better costume and makeup for Swayamvar.  The more I see earlier episodes of Mahadev, the more I am having trouble with how they were showing characters of Ramayan.  It looked like as if CVs are now trying to save money the way shoddy costumes were given to everyone especially Sita.  Her jewelry was tacky and so was the makeup.  Rubina is a very pretty girl who looks the best in less or subtle makeup.  Here the makeup, jewelry instead of enhancing her beauty was reducing it instead.  The same can be said of Mandodari who is much prettier than how she is presented in the show.

Thankfully, yesterday they changed the makeup/jewelry etc.  So she looked pretty as Sita should.   Even Ram/Lakshman seemed better despite having the same clothes.  The execution also looked much better than what was shown in the previous week. If they are introducing a new track and that too Ramayan,  they need to improve the execution if they want to attract new viewers.   

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

ragadeepikaromi21Surya_krsnbhaktkaatayani--Ekta--Proud-Indiamisti73radev24foram.

misti73 IF-Sizzlerz
misti73
misti73

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 4:00am | IP Logged
Thanks Angie. Liked your thoughts.  I peeked in and saw your post. Now I am swamped in at work but will respond in detail later. Yesterday when they showed Sita slowly smiling on seeing Ram and then Vishawamitra giving a knowing look and smiling followed by Laxman and Urmila smiling...I also had a smile on my face seeing all of them smiling at Sita and Ram. I actually started smiling when Sita started smiling. But I did not like all the mustande rajas leering at Sita. Stern Smile  I wanted to go and cover her up.Embarrassed    

Regarding who is going to arue with Parushuram when he comes in marching...maybe it is going to be Sita who might have a discussion with him in a her own gentle way.Wink I am missing the hot tempered Laxman.Cry

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Angie12

romi21 Goldie
romi21
romi21

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 4:08am | IP Logged
LOl... Urmilaa with Knife & confronting Parshuram is really good...

Angie12

Surya_krsnbhakt IF-Dazzler
Surya_krsnbhakt
Surya_krsnbhakt

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 5:49am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Angie12

When she can show him knife for just stealing some fruits, imagine her ferocity later on when Laksman makes more serious mistakes.  Not that I would mind her showing that knife to Manthra and then Kakayi.

I am beginning to worry about what will happen when Parshuram comes raging after the breaking of bow.  Who will argue and fight with him?  Maybe it will be Mahadev who will appear in front of Parshuram and does his shastrath with him.  Maybe that's why Lakshman is now so gentle and sweet.  Or maybe it will be Mahadev and Urmila who will be arguing with Parshuram.  Urmila can always show him her knife for daring to question Ram - the husband of her beloved sister.

ROFL

You and your musings... I think you can archive them!
Nice thoughts you have, about the different characters, and especially Urmila above!

Edited by Surya_krsnbhakt - 14 August 2013 at 5:49am

Angie12

Angie12 IF-Rockerz
Angie12
Angie12

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 11:31am | IP Logged
Originally posted by misti73

Thanks Angie. Liked your thoughts.  I peeked in and saw your post. Now I am swamped in at work but will respond in detail later. Yesterday when they showed Sita slowly smiling on seeing Ram and then Vishawamitra giving a knowing look and smiling followed by Laxman and Urmila smiling...I also had a smile on my face seeing all of them smiling at Sita and Ram. I actually started smiling when Sita started smiling. But I did not like all the mustande rajas leering at Sita. Stern Smile  I wanted to go and cover her up.Embarrassed    

Regarding who is going to arue with Parushuram when he comes in marching...maybe it is going to be Sita who might have a discussion with him in a her own gentle way.Wink I am missing the hot tempered Laxman.Cry
Misti, thanks.  I know you must be busy as I haven't seen you in the forum for a while.  I too liked that scene for all the reasons you mentioned.  I like the word "mustande rajas".   LOL  Well, I can take that limited leering as long as they don't show leering Raavan.  Raavan is already irritating me with that cartoonish head gear and that shifting of eyes. 

I don't mind your scenario of Sita having a "discussion" with Parshuram though Parshuram should have a soft spot for Sita considering how she keeps on taking that dhanush for her personal use. Big smile I am hoping to see the hot tempered Laxman now that they are showing Raavan forcibly participating in the swayamvar.

Angie12 IF-Rockerz
Angie12
Angie12

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 11:34am | IP Logged
Originally posted by romi21

LOl... Urmilaa with Knife & confronting Parshuram is really good...
Romi, thanks.  This Urmila is giving numerous possiblities.  I would have loved for herto go to exile with Ram/Sita/Lakshman.  Then she and Sita could have gossiped about Rishi wives and demon/demonesses that they would encounter in the jungle.  But since that cannot be shown,  I will be happy with Urmila fighting with Parshuram and then giving a piece of her mind to Manthra/Kakayi combination.LOL

romi21

Angie12 IF-Rockerz
Angie12
Angie12

Posted: 14 August 2013 at 11:37am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Surya_krsnbhakt

Originally posted by Angie12

When she can show him knife for just stealing some fruits, imagine her ferocity later on when Laksman makes more serious mistakes.  Not that I would mind her showing that knife to Manthra and then Kakayi.

I am beginning to worry about what will happen when Parshuram comes raging after the breaking of bow.  Who will argue and fight with him?  Maybe it will be Mahadev who will appear in front of Parshuram and does his shastrath with him.  Maybe that's why Lakshman is now so gentle and sweet.  Or maybe it will be Mahadev and Urmila who will be arguing with Parshuram.  Urmila can always show him her knife for daring to question Ram - the husband of her beloved sister.

ROFL

You and your musings... I think you can archive them!
Nice thoughts you have, about the different characters, and especially Urmila above!
Surya,  thanks.  Urmila is giving me a lot of ideas.  I am thinking that Sita would have enjoyed her exile even more (barring that time spent in Raavan's captivity) if she had Urmila as a company.  Now I cannot figure out why Lakshman did not want to take Urmila with him.  Urmila would have driven away any demon/demoness with a single use of her knife.

Surya_krsnbhakt

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top