Sisters without brothers speak out!

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 17 years ago

Sisters without brothers speak out!

A brother is someone who's your best friend; he's someone who loves and expects nothing in return, someone you can look up to and is there to lend a shoulder to cry on. Raksha means protection and bandhan means a bond and having a brother is indeed a special feeling because you have someone to guide and protect you without having to say too much. But one wonders what happens to actors who don't have a real brother…Do they miss having a brother or are they content having a Rakhi brother instead?
Kavita Shyam spoke to a few actors who don't have brothers and what Rakhsha Bandhan means to them.

For Monaz Raksha Bandhan meant tying a rakhi to her dog Caesar - a tradition

the followed for 12 years as she does not believe in making rakhi brothers, especially in the industry.
Says Monaz: "I miss having a brother as I am the only child in the family. I would have loved to have an elder brother. The last rakhi which I tied was on my dog's neck; sadly he expired in February 2006. Now I've put up the rakhi on my cupboard handle which reminds me of him. I am going to miss him terribly this year and I am going to send a rakhi to my cousin brother in Pune. "

Rucha Gujrathi ties a rakhi unfailingly every year on her father's wrist and misses getting gifts from a brother and having a brotherly figure around.
"But I don't have a problem as all three of us sisters tie rakhi to our dad and send rakhis to cousins who live elsewhere. Rakhi is a bond between two people and it means raksha by a brother or whoever is close to you and takes care of you. I had tied a rakhi to Chetan Hansraj last year as he would keep calling me his little sister so I thought I must tie him a rakhi."

Sai Deodhar is the only child of her parents and misses having a sibling. She ends up tying rakhi to her innumerable cousins in Pune.
She explains: "I have lots of cousins in Pune who are equally close to me. On rakhi it's nice to meet up all my cousins and we catch up on old times. I've been tying one to my father and my grandfather for a long time now. A brother to me is neither a father nor a friend but somewhere in between who would guide me and it's a great feeling to have a brother. I remember on my wedding day I saw all fifteen of my brothers standing near me which was an awesome feeling.

"Snigdha Akolkar has rakhi brothers in Akola, Pune and Mumbai and ties rakhi to Nasir from the industry. Says she: "For me rakhi means having someone who does my raksha. So I've tied rakhi to my brother-in-law besides a female friend who has been very protective about me. Also in future I can tie a rakhi to my husband as well for he's someone who will take care of me. Thank god I've no real brothers as they would have ended up bashing up all the guys who'd follow me in college as all my rakhi brothers are very possessive about me. "

And as far as Tassnim Nerurkar is concerned she also has a few rakhi brothers and shares a special bond with actor Anuj Saxena as she considers him her elder brother.
Says she: "I've lots of rakhi brothers and I have already tied rakhi to one of them as he was going out of town. On Raksha Bandhan I will be shooting and thereafter I'll be going to meet up my rakhi brothers. For me it's a kacha dhaga which is a lifelong relationship of responsibility and this is definitely a special bond."

Posted: 17 years ago
thanks but posted before 😉