Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate of the Day:Controversy around KANK (Page 4)

crazy_heenz Goldie
crazy_heenz
crazy_heenz

Posted: 12 August 2006 at 2:57am | IP Logged
i vent 2 c d movie but cudnt get d tickets Cry .....cant wait 2 c it
Lyani Groupbie
Lyani
Lyani

Posted: 12 August 2006 at 5:20am | IP Logged
In this debate about KANK, I was astonished to find that mostly the residents in US are feeling uncomfortable with the infidelity in the film. MOre surprising that it is the under 20s who are disturbed. Indian and Hollywood films deal with a wide range of subjects. A film maker wants to create something artistic, sensitive not preach to society. Lots of unacceptable matter is dished out in our movies. Two unhappy people falling in love is hardly something very shocking. Surely 20 somethings know in life these cruel situations do happen. So what's the fuss about.
Lyani
FGGfan Groupbie
FGGfan
FGGfan

Posted: 12 August 2006 at 6:24am | IP Logged
i haven't seen the film yet ...............not even gonna after reading all the reviews..............and can tell its a big time flop (no offence)
teenindia_usa IF-Sizzlerz
teenindia_usa
teenindia_usa

Posted: 12 August 2006 at 7:10am | IP Logged
I was not going to say much, yet its adebate, the thing, is its ur ideals, and true in america things happen yet is it rt? is infidelity rt?, is that the message we want to send out? and I think people have the rt tobe upset, and happy that youth are..well in USA many indians'want to old onto old ideals, where I see indians of india wanting tobe western and think its hip..well wont say more.........otherwise....
pinkumamun Newbie
pinkumamun
pinkumamun

Posted: 12 August 2006 at 8:29am | IP Logged
Hi, I watched the movie last night. Well for me it was a BIG disappointment. It's a giving a wrong message but I'm not worried about younger generation getting that message as the movie is such a drag that it would fail to do so....U know if a movies is well made you can worry that it's message will affect the mass but here that's not the case
SRK and Rani were boring. So, their performance and message won't intrigue anybody to go on their footsteps.Abhishek and Preity rocked.So did Amitabh and Kiran Kher.
So, Karan johar you have failed big time now and I am sad for that -- I didn't expect something like this from u after such K3G.
Abhishek Bachchan has grown as an acrtor and SRK repeated himself as an overactor.
The film might have been rated PG13 or (maybe R?-I'm not sure about it as in US many film with PG13 label bother me...) for it's language and scene contents but it's definitely not a film for adults -- Adults are mature enough to understand what's a real failed marriage you cannot fool them ---definitely not with the KANK marriages....
Naughty_n_nice IF-Veteran Member
Naughty_n_nice
Naughty_n_nice

Posted: 12 August 2006 at 8:55am | IP Logged

Hello!

I'll be seeing the movie tomorrow, perhaps, but here's my view on the issue.

Karan Johar, as everyone knows so far has always made movies of "I love you!" "You love me!" Happy ending. period.

For the first time, he's trying a story, which should be critically appreciated. As Preity Zinta said, "What they are doing is wrong. That is agreeable, but you are made to feel sympathetic to all four of them. They are, on their own, extremely nice people! But they are just not right for each other." Yes, I agree, the story is about an extra-marrital affair, and let's face facts, it's not like it doesn't happen. Everyone knowingly or unknowingly knows a person who is having an affair, and the fact remains that it's not untrue.

The only fairy tale and contraversial part of the film is that it so happens that they respectively fall in love with each other's partners. Well, we can go for that. It's not that coincidences never take place! They do.

I agree, extra marrital affairs are wrong. What I don't understand is, why... why can't the indian audience bear with a cutting movie.
A new type.
A mind speaking out for itself?
Why does it have to be the common love stories?
Why can't the audience critically appreciate the story for what it is?

As of now, I am not saying the movie is bad, not saying it's good.

-Sam
sniki Groupbie
sniki
sniki

Posted: 12 August 2006 at 9:24am | IP Logged
i jus saw d movie.... n it sux!!!! itz ttly nt smthin xpectd frm a karan johar movie... srk lookz soooo old!!! d 2nd half f d movie ws unbearable....ppl don waste ur time on a movie like kank
Hareem_M Groupbie
Hareem_M
Hareem_M

Posted: 12 August 2006 at 9:30am | IP Logged
I think you guys are under the wrong impression that a movie is made so people can follow their lives around it. Yes, extra-marital affairs are wrong. And yes, Johar has portrayed one in KANK. What the audience is doing is wrong is seeing this as a message for them to all go out amd have their own extra-marital affairs. KANK is a STORY. SRK and Rani are NOT role models. They are actors portraying roles that are disturbingly close to real life. Extra-marital affairs are a sad but real part of life. If you're saying that this movie promotes extra-marital affairs, then you're also saying that horror movies w/ serial killers are promoting murder. You're also saying that movies like Fanaa, that regard terrorism, are promoting everyone to go out and become a terrorist. Yes, there are some movies like Swades that give a message to the audience to change the world. KANK is not one of them. KANK tells a perfectly believable story about four people. It tells about the consequences of what happens when people make bad choices in their married life. And if any of you are under the sad impression that you should make your choices regarding life based on a movie, then you really need a reality check. Life is not a movie. We don't break into song and dance every 5 min. I, personally, applaud Johar for taking a huge risk by delving in this theme. Johar writes about REAL issues that could affect anyone's life (unlike others who write about imaginary aliens...but that's besides the point). So if you are going to see this movie, make sure you're mature enough to handle it. Make sure you realize you make your own choices in life, not what you're favorite actor does in a movie. And, make sure you realize that maturity does not come with age, it comes with being open-minded.

Go to top