Film Previews & Reviews
Film Previews & Reviews

India-Forums

Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna - Give Your Verdict (Page 11)

PinkPixie Senior Member
PinkPixie
PinkPixie

Posted: 11 August 2006 at 2:01pm | IP Logged
I just saw KANK
gosh . its a bit dissapointing.
i think we had too much of expectations from this movie which for me was strictly average ..

ita mature story but i cant relate to the srk - rani love story . which wasnt developed all that well .. and there was too much crying.

the best bit of the film for me was abishek and amitabh bachan .

dont get me wrong its a regular KJ - SRK movie so it has its share of good moment s n   its very funny at times.. but the love story was not that well told ..

me and my friends thogut so .. but its my opinion only .. Wink
amna malik IF-Addictz
amna malik
amna malik

Posted: 11 August 2006 at 3:06pm | IP Logged
Well the indiagiltz review is gr8.Another review frm indiafm is good too.And ndtv is showing very good comments frm people.The only negetive point of this film i think is the subject.haven't watched it yet,will comment later when i'll watch it
khads45 Goldie
khads45
khads45

Posted: 11 August 2006 at 3:17pm | IP Logged
it kinda looks like all karans other movies and i'm getting tired of seeing priety, srk and rani together but when i see it then i'll decide if i like it or not
burgerchaap IF-Sizzlerz
burgerchaap
burgerchaap

Posted: 11 August 2006 at 3:26pm | IP Logged
i saw it...omgg i expected so much

but my god its so crapppyyy lollzz..
apparaohoare IF-Rockerz
apparaohoare
apparaohoare

Posted: 11 August 2006 at 4:09pm | IP Logged

I have said earlier that I do not trust Taran Adarsh when it comes to Yash Raj, Karan Johar, and SRK.  And I am 100% correct one again.Big smile

Here is the review from Times of India.

Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna (drama)
Cast : Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Abhishek Bachchan, Rani Mukherjee, Preity Zinta
Direction : Karan Johar

Too long. Too tedious. And strangely plastic. No, this time, Karan Johar seems to have got the formula somewhat skewed. For unlike his earlier successful celluloid soap operas, the audience doesn't get to shed any real tears even though the protagonists keep crying. In all his earlier ventures, the characters would hardly need the tissues despite the heartbreak, heartache, heartburn. It was the viewer who'd do all the crying, sighing and tear jerking 'coz Shah Rukh chose to laugh while he died, Hrithik sashayed to bring his broken family together and Kajol played basketball to drive her dilemma - Salman or Shah Rukh - away. Naturally, we the aam janata couldn't bear the agony of these bravehearts and broke down copiously, while the box office jingled. But this time round, the rona-dhona becomes somebody else's business, the jolly good fella bits seem to be in short supply and the aam janata ends up feeling gypped. Primarily because it doesn't know why Rani relentlessly sobs and Shah Rukh goes gruff-gruff and all those designer marriages suck...

Okay, we know that Shah Rukh's angry because he's got a perpetual limp, he can't play football, his wife's (Preity Zinta) more successful than him and someone's told him his pout looks sexy. But is that reason enough to fall in love with a wannabe bride (Rani) he meets on a bench one New Yorky afternoon as she ruminates on this whole marriage business and the grand mohabbat myths? And is that reason enough to pout permanently in the film as he goes through the entire gamut of incompatibility, infidelity, separation and reunion, barking down on anybody who happens to cross his path. Even his bechara beta!

Unconvincing again are the reasons behind Rani's drift. All that hubby Abhishek demands from her is a bit of passion in bed, some rock-and-roll in dad's (Amitabh) rocking party and a bit of bonhomie in their day-to-day life. Is that asking for too much from a roz-roz-morose Miss?

So, on the one hand you have a weak foundation to the extra-marital affair between Shah Rukh and Rani, and on the other, you have a weird reason that brings them together. The duo befriend each other to play marriage counsellor to each other, discussing books and techniques on 'how to save your shaadi and stay happy forever'. And guess what? They end up breaking their marriages and biting into cold TV dinners by themselves.

If the film holds, it's because of the few dramatic moments that manage to touch you, a pretty New York backdrop and some fine chemistry between that father-son duo again. Amitabh and Abhishek once again create magic when they are together, even as the big daddy of Bollywood creates one of the most flamboyant playboys on the desi screen. Catch his throwaway lines and you'd realise Hugh Heffner's got competition. Unfortunately, they have very little screen time together. As for Preity, now what's she doing in a walk-on part that seems a pale shadow of Kal Ho Na Ho?

Nope! When it comes to infidelity, Arth still remains the last word in Bollywood. And Silsila the most silken.
mkzara Goldie
mkzara
mkzara

Posted: 11 August 2006 at 4:23pm | IP Logged
There are so many mixed reviews on this i guess I have to watch it and decide for myself if Karan Johar did well by stepping out of his comfort zone.
Destiny007 IF-Dazzler
Destiny007
Destiny007

Posted: 11 August 2006 at 4:45pm | IP Logged
remember its not the best film you will see but...... its a modern day subject filmed in a unique location with a fab star cast its worth the entrance fee just to something different that is shot so brilliantly.
Radhika87 Senior Member
Radhika87
Radhika87

Posted: 12 August 2006 at 5:43am | IP Logged
kal ho naa ho was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better!!!!

Go to top