Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Fatima_Q thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago
Credit- Armu4eva, PVR forum

SUSHANT SINGH RAJPUT REVELS IN THE FLAVOUR OF KOLKATA ALONG WITH DIBAKAR BANERJEE TO GET INTO THE SKIN OF HIS CHARACTER

Atram ride through Dharmatala, a visit to a 150-year-old bungalow in Alipore, eating Bengali sweets like sondesh and rasgulla: producer-director Dibakar Banerjee ensured the announcement of his period film, Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! (DBB), in Kolkata on Tuesday (July 23) gave the media a flavour of Bengal.

And accompanying us was Sushant Singh Rajput who, dressed as a bhadralok (educated Bengali), looked nothing like his usual self. We ate Bengali dishes, and rode the yellow taxis that dot the city. The announcement of DBB in the old bungalow ' amid chandeliers, antique fans, high ceilings and period furniture ' set the tone for the press conference. There was even a blackboard with the film's name in Hindi, English and Bengali. And as soon as Dibakar walked in, he corrected the spellings in all three languages.

Sushant said, "I've been observing Bengali culture and people during my stay. I've been eating specific local dishes to understand Bengalis better, so that when I start shooting, I hope I'm able to convincingly portray a young Bengali man from 1942."

He finds the City of Joy different from Mumbai. About the characteristics of a detective, he said, "He should be observant and intelligent, and not much of a talker."

Dibakar, who has bought the rights of all stories of DBB, feels the rich heritage of Bengali culture hasn't been explored (in Bollywood films). "My film will be about Byomkesh trying to understand his calling and is about a young 20-22-year-old on his way to become a detective."

The writer travelled to Kolkata as a guest of Yash Raj Films and Dibakar

Fatima_Q thumbnail
Credit- toothbrush13 and Tanmi, PVR forum :)

Fatima_Q thumbnail
Credit- toothbrush13 and Tanmi, PVR forum :)

Fatima_Q thumbnail
Credit- Tanmi,PVR forum :)

BYOMKESH FROM BOLLY

Dibakar Banerjee And SUSHANT SINGH RAJPUT Bring Our Homegrown Sleuth Alive Yet Again With Detective Byomkesh Bakshi
Sushant Singh Rajput and Dibakar Banerjee take a tram ride on Tuesday afternoon. Pictures: Rashbehari Das

The setting: Alipore's Burdwan Rajbari. The scene: A room in the 150-year-old palace has been converted for a day into the venue of the media launch of a Bollywood film. Stately chandeliers hang from the high ceilings even as waiters dressed in the clothes of a bygone era serve Bengali delicacies, Moghlai Porota to Fish Kabiraji.

If the look and feel of the launch of Dibakar Banerjee's Detective Byomkesh Bakshi is anything to go by, then our homegrown super sleuth ' whose life and times have been captured on film and television through the ages ' is in safe hands.

"My Byomkesh is a 22-23-year-old young man, fresh out of college, who for the first time in his life shows an interest in becoming a detective. He isn't a satyanweshi yet, but is well on his way to becoming one," said Dibakar. The man behind films like Love, Sex Aur Dhokha and Shanghai is in town for a recce of the locations for his latest project based on the Saradindu Bandopadhyay series and to be produced by Yash Raj Films.

Playing the instinctive and astute detective is former TV actor Sushant Singh Rajput, who made his film debut with the critically acclaimed Kai Po Che! in February. "I have been in Calcutta for the last five or six days, absorbing the way of life in the city. I have been studying Bengali culture' I have been visiting a lot of lanes and alleys and eating typical Bengali food just to understand what living life as a Bengali is all about," said Sushant, looking every inch the Byomkesh he aspires to be in a white-and-beige striped kurta and pyjama.

But why Sushant? "I wanted to take up the challenge to blend someone like Sushant' a youth from the 21st century, a Bollywood hunk who is the current heart-throb of this generation... into the milieu of 1942 Calcutta. What really struck me about Sushant was that he has never brought in an element of exhibitionism into his acting. His style of performance is very internal and subtle. I believe that an actor who can impress with his acting in a TV soap (Pavitra Rishta), can surprise you with anything," said Dibakar.

While Yash Raj Films and Dibakar have bought the rights to 31 Byomkesh stories, the filmmaker isn't willing to reveal which one his film is based on. "I will not reveal the story because once I do it, you will know who the villain is! We are taking Saradindu Bandopadhyay's story and reinterpreting some of the aspects, though we are retaining the essence of it," smiled Dibakar, whose last work was in the four-in-one film Bombay Talkies.

"There are two periods of Byomkesh ' one in which Saradindu Bandopadhyay wrote between the '30s and the mid-'40s, went off to Bombay in the middle to become a scriptwriter and then came back to write the second lot of Byomkesh on popular demand. My film is about the earlier Byomkesh, the adventurous, young, enthusiastic, thrilling Byomkesh. This is a man who wants to pursue a profession which is a passion, a profession for which a name hasn't yet been invented. It's a Byomkesh that Saradindu Bandopadhyay wrote when he himself was young," added the Khosla Ka Ghosla man.

The "biggest challenge", Dibakar admits, will be to recreate the Calcutta of 1942, the year in which his film is set. "A Calcutta in the middle of the second World War, a Calcutta in the throes of political turmoil' a Calcutta far more innocent than today. A noir detective thriller unfolding in this period with Byomkesh trying to solve a crime far ahead of its time, is what makes the premise very romantic for me," said Dibakar.

While he isn't ready with his locations yet, Dibakar says that Detective Byomkesh Bakshi will recreate old-world Calcutta locales like Chitpur Road, the old China Town and Anglo-Indian and Armenian tenements. "We are lucky that there is quite a bit of 1942 in Calcutta even today, in its paras and its lanes and bylanes. The recreation of that period will be a mix of location, set and VFX. Through this film, I want to depict the kaleidoscopic and adventurous side of Calcutta. Eta ekta rom-romey golpo hobe (This will be a thrilling tale)," said Dibakar who pegs his latest project as his "most difficult film ever".

While Dibakar knows his Byomkesh inside out, Sushant is hardly familiar with the adventures of the Bengali sleuth. "Dibakar asked me not to read or watch anything of Byomkesh because he wanted my approach to be very fresh and free from influence. I did watch Satyajit Ray's Chiriyakhana (with Uttam Kumar as Byomkesh)," smiled Sushant, whose next release will be Shuddh Desi Romance in September, opposite Parineeti Chopra.

The rest of the cast hasn't been finalised yet, with Dibakar unwilling to reveal who he has in mind for the key roles of Byomkesh's wife Satyabati and his friend Ajit. "Saradindu Bandopadhyay is the only writer I know who has given his detective a love interest. Otherwise, the female sex has been cut off from every other detective I can recall ' Sherlock Holmes to Hercule Poirot. But Byomkesh is not a James Bond who is going to be surrounded by women' that's not the person he is," said Dibakar.

But why this sudden fascination with Byomkesh ' Anjan Dutt has already brought him alive in two films and a Rituparno Ghosh film on the sleuth is being completed after his demise by his core team. "In Byomkesh, you see friendship, love, lust, sacrifice'. It's a detective story, but so human and so layered. Through this film, I will fulfil my childhood dream of telling a detective story and I am standing on a high platform already because my material is so rich in origin," said Dibakar.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1130725/jsp/t2/story_17153833.jsp#.UfF706yd3EI

Fatima_Q thumbnail
Credit- Tanmi,PVR forum :)

Fatima_Q thumbnail
Credit- Taz Di :)

Embedded image permalink
sushantfan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
not sure if posted before

Embedded image permalink
Embedded image permalink

Fatima_Q thumbnail
Credit sushantfan...SSR FC # 28

Daring to be different

Jul 25, 2013 - Priyanka Bhadani | 

For someone like Rishi Kapoor, it took a few decades to come out of his 'chocolate boy' image and do different kinds of roles. After being praised by critics for his grey character in Agneepath, he is again being appreciated for his role in D-Day. And it's not just Kapoor, several actors have taken their time to come out of the character mould they have been placed in. Arjun Rampal took his time before experimenting with diverse characters. However, the new generation of actors seems to be taking the plunge as soon as they enter the industry.
So if Sushant Singh Rajput, who portrayed a small town guy in Kai Po Che, will now be seen in a completely romantic character in his next Shudh Desi Romance and then playing a detective in Dibakar Banerjee's next; someone like Richa Chadha who bagged the Filmfare debut actor award, has been very cautious while selecting her roles. And these are not the only ones, there's a long list of new actors who want to be on an experimental spree rather than being comfortable with what works for them.
Kalki Koechlin, who started off with a bold character in her first film DevD and has done various kinds of roles since then ' from the arty The Girl In Yellow Boots to the commercial Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani, thinks experiments helps an actor to push the boundaries. "Picking up different kinds of roles is a conscious effort to not be typecast and continue to surprise and improve myself. I believe in getting out of my comfort zone once in a while, that's when I learn the most," she says.
Actor Gulshan Devaiah won accolades for his portrayal of a drug dealer in internationally acclaimed film Peddlers and then went on to do a grey character in Hate Story, and is now doing a rom-com. According to him, the new actors are more than ready to shun their comfort zone to stand out in an industry that's buzzing with new talent. "At present, everyone who comes to become an actor has got good professional training. They know what they want out of themselves. I try out new characters because I don't want to be a part of any one category. The only thing I have always been sure of is not to do similar characters or portray something which is similar to 'the real' me," says Gulshan.
Actor Richa Chadha thinks that this is the right time to experiment. "Unlike earlier, when an audience had issues with seeing a 'hero' or 'heroine' in a negative role, now they accept the actors in any role they portray. They have grown with exposure to world cinema," she says, adding that she feels liabilities on the younger actors or newcomers are lesser, giving them more space to experiment.

ishika_sushita thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Credit- Anu, PVR forum :)

There's a new sleuth in town: Sushant set to play detective Byomkesh in Dibakar's period thriller
By SHIVANI MANKERMI
PUBLISHED: 17:28 EST, 25 July 2013 | UPDATED: 17:28 EST, 25 July 2013
   0 View
comments
Sushant Singh Rajput and film-maker Dibakar Banerjee got on a busy Kolkata tram to hunt for some prominent spots to capture the old charm of the city on Tuesday.
The duo are searching for some classy spots to shoot their upcoming periodic thriller Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!
Clad in kurta-pyjama and sporting a stubble, Sushant revealed his look for the role of detective Byomkesh in the film, which will go on floors in January.

Director Dibakar Banerjee (right) and actor Sushant Singh enjoy a tram ride during a location hunt for their new film 'Detective Byomkesh Bakshi'
"My story will be set in a much younger Kolkata of the second world war. The old Kolkata is gone, but there are still a few lanes and corners which bear the memory of 1942. However, it will be a tough job to re-create the old city again," Dibakar said.
Byomkesh Bakshi is a famous fictional character created by prominent Bengali writer Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay.
Featured across 33 novels, Bandopadhyay's creation was the most illustrious detective of the 1940s.
Dibakar finds Bandyopadhyay a "gutsy writer" and the script of his film has taken several leads from the novels.

The film's unit is hunting for spots. The unit travelled towards an old-world palace in Alipore. Sushant and Dibakar also moved across the Dharmatala tram depot and the Bardhaman Raj estate, to get an essence of the city.
"I am trying to absorb everything about the city. It is indeed a complex route to building a character. I need to do all the research so that my role looks convincing. It is a long process. I am trying to know the people, their culture and even trying out their special dishes. It is indeed very different from Mumbai," he said.
As for the flavour of romance, Dibakar is still looking for a leading lady opposite Sushant.
This is the first project between Dibakar and Yash Raj Films.
Byomkesh Bakshi is an intriguing character, and TV serials and films have been made on the detective novel in the past.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2378343/Detective-Byomkesh-Bakshy-Theres-new-sleuth-town-Sushant-set-play-detective-Byomkesh-Dibakars-period-thriller.html#ixzz2a6MMuxxV
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Fatima_Q thumbnail
Fan pics of Sushant in Kolkata

Credit:Ishika

her two friends met Sushant @ Presidency University, yesterday :)