AsianAge: 'I don't have time for love' - Deepika

b2011 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago

'I don't have time for love'

Jul 15, 2013
  •  

It's surprising that Deepika Singh carries off the role of Sandhya from Diya Aur Baati Hum so well because as we chat with her we realise she is nothing like the character. Unlike the calm and composed Sandhya, the bubbly Deepika loves to talk about anything under the sun.

We caught up with the actress as she enjoys a lazy Saturday, when she has a day off from shoot. She heads towards her balcony and tells us that she finds it amusing how residents of neighbouring flats look out for a glimpse of her, but is thankful for all the love they shower on her. Ask the actress how she likes spending her day off and she says, "I am a very organised person. I have my list of things that have to be done, ready in advance. Normally I spend my holiday completing any pending work to be done for the house. Otherwise, I like pampering myself with a manicure and pedicure at the parlour. Of late I have also begun reading books and if I still have some time, I enjoy watching the monsoon from my balcony."

The actress tells us that though she is now one of the top stars on TV she hasn't forgotten her middle class roots. "I come from a middle class, joint family so initially my parents were reluctant to let me act. I completed MBA and started off by working at a bank. I knew switching to acting would be a struggle but I decided to go for it, and luckily, today I am successful," says Deepika with a smile.

Coming to her show Diya Aur Baati Hum, we quiz Deepika about her much talked about chemistry with co-star Sooraj (Anas Rashid). Deepika says, "Viewers say that they can see the romance in our eyes and it's great that people like our chemistry. In real life I wouldn't say we are good friends, rather two professionals who do their job well. We respect each other as artistes."
Ask her if she has found her Mr Right in real life and she quips, "I don't have time for love, I am a workaholic. I have left it to God to find me the right person. I am very family oriented and recently organised the wedding of my younger sister. As for my wedding, I haven't given it a thought."

While most people recognise Deepika as Sandhya, when asked if she identifies with the character in any way, she says, "Sandhya is an imaginary character conceptualised by scriptwriters. Deepika is a modern girl. Unlike Sandhya I dress in skirts and tops. I love shopping; if I get a few hours off, I head straight to the mall, even if it is 10 pm. Unlike the patient Sandhya, I am short tempered. I am very bindaas and don't regret any decision that I have taken till date. The only aspect where I identify with the character is that I cannot tolerate injustice β€” jo bhi hai, mooh pe bol deti hoon. Also since I have been brought up in a joint family, I don't think I would ever be able to adjust to a nuclear family."

PS:  Sorry if already posted.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

thala thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
thanks bharathi ka
loved the article
deepika is an organised personπŸ‘
she still values the middle classπŸ‘πŸΌ
 In real life I wouldn't say we are good friends, rather two professionals who do their job well.πŸ˜ƒ
Edited by ramasuresh78 - 10 years ago
-Liebe- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
that I cannot tolerate injustice β€” jo bhi hai, mooh pe bol deti hoon.πŸ‘πŸΌ

This line.wow. Also since I have been brought up in a joint family, I don't think I would ever be able to adjust to a nuclear family."

perfect girl.

thank u ka.
HalleNJ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
thanks for sharing barathi aka, nice interview
maaneet-2012 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Thank you for sharing..Deepika your chemistry with anas is unusual, hope in future you both will win best jodi, in my eyes you are the best..amazing girl you deepi..love you and anas alot, all the best.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Nice interview. You and Anas are one of the best on screen pairs on Indian Television today. 
Deebz thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
There is plenty of time on sets to fall in love Deepika!πŸ˜‰ 
.Ami. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Ayyo Deeps seems to be in love with someone..πŸ˜‰.

It's all fuzzy excuse when someone says "No time for love..".. Love is our own existence - being..πŸ˜†.
saritamora8 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
i was surprised to know that anas and deeps are not even good friends (mabbe due to huge age gap), yet their chemistry is amazing on screen...hats off to their professionalism. I guess Deepika wants to marry a person not from industry like Kanika. I am sure there are lots of punjabi mundas with whom she can be hooked but i guess she is looking and waiting for that special person like every normal girl too of her age...whatever, i just love her and her humble and down to earth nature and ofcourse her great smile !!!
vish.naren thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
awesome article...!!😳😳

and guess what, there are many similarities between Deeps n Sandy,

1, well in front of Bhabho/public sandhya might keep little calm, but she does speak!

2, sandhya is also short tempered! remember her making Sooraj to pay full 300 to the police officer in the initial time, and the Food Inspector and more, its just that Sandhya kinda control it...πŸ˜‰

3, Sandhya is also talketive..!!πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ how can one disagree to that...?😲

4, who told Sandhya wears only Sari's given a chance Sandhya will be "munni-badnaam hui" just that she dresses logically for situations, now Wo Ai Ni dress? and remember she is gonna be in Khakhi pants soon..!!😎

5, n i guess both are not so great in Cooking..!πŸ˜›

the difference in decision is that, we meet Sandhya daily but not Deeps..!!πŸ€” so all conclusions are based on what we know!! right?