Page 2 Page 2

ronshaan

IF-Sizzlerz

ronshaan

Posted: 14 July 2013 at 2:25am | IP Logged

Hello all.. and welcome !!!

This week Our topic of the week will be

**Sardakaii**

After watching Phir subah hogi we might Know lil bit about this thing..

so every one ... let's discuss this

1. what is sardakaii?

2. did u ever hear about such thing b4 watching phir subah hogi ?

3. did u understand this idea from the show .. mean did the show tell u about it the way they promised us ??

4. what do u think about such thing .. do u agree to it or feel that it should be stopped

5. Sugni's sardakaii
6. Champa's sardakaii
7. Gulabiya's sardakaii
8. Thakur's doing sardakaii of behdni's
9. do u think any girl will do her own sardakaii like sugni did ??

AND SO ON ...

IF u have more points do add them

so what are u waiting for

Let's disscuss -SARDAKAII-

The main issue Phir subah hogi had to deal with !!!

Edited by ronshaan - 14 July 2013 at 2:25am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

sara1993Vinnie79RamanRKRaghav4U

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "DOTW- Sardakaii" in Phir Subah Hogi forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

RamanRKRaghav4U

IF-Rockerz

RamanRKRaghav4U

Posted: 14 July 2013 at 12:39pm | IP Logged
Res.Wink

Vinnie79

IF-Dazzler

Vinnie79

Posted: 14 July 2013 at 2:12pm | IP Logged
Good post ,
 I  feel that the practice  of Sardakhi  was not clearly   explained  in   PSH ,  for they  contradicted  themselves. In the beginning  they  said  that  if  a Thakur  likes a particulat  bedni  he puts the veil on her head  indicating  that  she was his.
 Then   when  Sugni  announced hers, there was a bidding  process, where she  would go to the highest  bidder.  Now since she  ,Vickram , Adi  and Gulabiya  maintained she would not have gone with Vickram  if he had done it...dose that  mean  the  bedni had to  consent to  it? ,  some how  that  made it feel as though the bedni  had  more power  that  the women who  rmoved thier slippers  simply  because a  Thakur  /thakurine  stood  in front of  her.
 I  will  say watching  the ritual while  sugni was dong it, for me that  was disheartning and really  crue to to that to a woman.,  and  as  i  said  before  i  can't believe  she opted to do  that to herself!.

sara1993RamanRKRaghav4Uronshaan

JulieD

IF-Dazzler

JulieD

Posted: 14 July 2013 at 10:00pm | IP Logged
Agree with Vinnie that PSH contradicted themselves. 
I think that it is a very cruel practice and before PSH I did not know of it. It is very scary and sad to know that must actually still happen in parts of the world. It makes me so thankful to be born in the country that I was born in. 

I wish that something could be done to totally eradicate that practice but sad to say that somewhere along the way some people will still be trapped in it.

The CVs started of the show in a good way that made people aware of the practices. Until they made Sugni announce her own sardakai. To me it just belittled the true sufferings of what bednis actually go through on a daily basis. At one point I remember myself saying that these bednis are actually the cruel ones. That they deserved to be ill-treated. 

The Cvs really messed up. Sugni had absolutely no reason whatso ever to agree to sardakai. 
Now that the show is over, I can actually feel sad for the bednis again and wish that somehow the bednis of real life can be helped. 

sara1993Vinnie79ronshaan

ronshaan

IF-Sizzlerz

ronshaan

Posted: 15 July 2013 at 1:25am | IP Logged
I found this info in our forum
posted by - Saviosaraff

Basically the Sardhakai ritual is when a Thakur chooses a girl to be his official mistress.  It is somewhat like a wedding ritual but there are no pheras taken.  The girl gets to wear sindoor and a mangalsutra but that is it.   Once girls start to do Raai, they can only get Sardhakai done and can never marry as per the traditions." 'Rai and Sar Dhakai are actually prostitution'  But what sets this community apart is that the men of this community don't do any work. The community has certain old customs, associated with the dance form that the girls have to abide by.

Their life is one of dancing and prostitution and they go with any Thakur who can pay the price for the night. Otherwise how will she support her family through the years?

Sardhakai is more like the ritual of first night...when a young Bedni starts out in this "profession" the Thakur who pays the biggest amount gets to spend first night with her. Its the price of her innocence! Once her innocence is gone, she can be used by any Thakur who can pay her price. 

Sexual Service : in the name of Sardakhai, prostitution is legalised in the community. That legalization happens through application of Sindoor and all paraphernalia.

The men in the Bedni tribe can marry only outside their community.  A child born from this marriage is considered chaste and they are desirable than the children born from the Bedni-Thakur union.  The Bednis cannot marry. 

Once sardhakai is done, officially, the women cannot engage in sexual services to other men until relieved by her patron. 

1. Until she is the mistress, she can live with the Thakur in his own premises where he resides or where he decides to put her up.
  2. She can continue to do Raai dance and earn income from it.
  3. Once relieved, she can go back to her community.

4.      If there are any children born to this young woman they do not get to have their father's name

ronshaan

IF-Sizzlerz

ronshaan

Posted: 15 July 2013 at 1:38am | IP Logged
reading this info I shared
one thing i found here
The men in the Bedni tribe can marry only outside their community. 
that means the thakurs were so smart to not alowed ladies to marry in their community else who will do her own sardakaii... No marriage so they will have 2 do sardakaii and sell her self !!!

any ways my views on this thing is that the thakurs were very smart they wanted that all ladies will belong to them they do not allow the males to marry any lady in their village and do not let them work
None of those man dare to work or go out to find any work .. we can take for exmple - Hukum and katari .. Both never tried to do some thing - they were used to and when sugni was sold what they did with the money ?? Nothing but wasted it on their desires

sugni sold her self was the cheapest thing to do..
I found Julie's story better
when a girl is forced to do it .. we can understand her
in that place this is the thing - they force their girls to do it
but here .. sugni .. chose this and did her own sardakaii
I will post the pics of it in my posts soon

Sugni's sardakaii was the biggest joke in Phir subah hogi
what did they do ???
made those ladies a cheap ??
showed that they will to sell their body???
Yes she was hurt yes
but .. this is not the way to deal with the pain
Ok vikram hurt u ..
why u hurt your mom ??? why ??
was it the end of the world ??
she could leave that place and move on
Ok vikram hurt u yes .. what about your mother who was there for u ... any ways ...this was the downfall of Phir subah hogi

I could understand Gulabiya's sardakaii was done and could feel sorry for her .. I sow how jwala's wife behaved with her I felt so sorry for gulabiya but after sugni's sardakaii and the hell both mother and daughter gave to vikram i felt .. Great this way Gulabiya had to b
this way .. call her cheap and behave like she is dirty!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sara1993

payal7

IF-Dazzler

payal7

Posted: 15 July 2013 at 4:57am | IP Logged
Interesting topic for discussion Ronit.

The information you have posted is what I understood of this practice.

To my mind this is one of the most cruel activites being practiced in the name of tradition. To make someone/family vunerable and then take advantage of that situation (although is not new) is still disgusting.

1. No girl would sell herself unless there were no other options. Certainly not the Sugni who we were introduced to at the beginning of the show.

2. More importantly, no mother would stand by and let her daughter sell herself and become a protitute. Certainly not a mother who fought soo hard to prevent her daughter bein blindsided into being a mistress.

3. This practice is about earning money to support a family. So what was the purpose of showing all celebrations etc as if this was a wedding. Why would a family waste money on such pomp and ceremony instead of saving it as they never knew how much money will com into the house in the future

4. Why was Sugni shown dressed as if she was a newly married bride?

5. How was Gulabia and Sugni herself able to prevent TVS from doing her sardhakai?

PHS was good in terms of bringing this horrible practice to the attention of the nation but then made a mockery of it.

Some of the actions above and Sugni's subsequent actions suggested that these women had power.In doing so it belittled the plight of these womenAngry

I have said before and I  say it again, for a show that was written by women, trying to show the plight of women who are marginalised they showed women in the most negative way possible. Not one woman in this show was depicted as a decent human being let along a decent woman.

PS. Ronit please don't post any photos as they really brings back bad memories.

Edited by payal7 - 15 July 2013 at 5:01am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sara1993ronshaan

ronshaan

IF-Sizzlerz

ronshaan

Posted: 15 July 2013 at 6:19am | IP Logged
Okay payal .. I wont post the photos and agreed with u
did u see what they did with the money
Hukum and kathari wasted it ... and the house was turned in to 2 homes .. gulabiya was HAPPY .. that was irritated me .. sugni came home that too HAPPY .. what did she do .. did she marry .. was it a happy thing .. should she be happy doing so ... Those things made me more angry at PSH !

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sara1993

Post Reply New Post

Go to top