Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BlackWitch thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
I like your knowledge base on this. Unfortunately, I'm not so well versed with world history. However, I do agree that romanticizing aspects of history make good subjects for drama as no one really knows the complete truth on what happened so many years ago. The accounts are largely impersonal and the writers were mainly focused on the King's attributes of valour and his feats on the battlefield and the way administration was done in the kingdom. I doubt men would be much interested in the romantic lives of their rulers or the changing personal equations in the household as no King worth his salt would want those details to get public. I don't think they had an idea that a romance loving technology generation would be DYING for that little tidbit into the personal lives of real time heroes πŸ˜† Had they known that maybe they would have been merciful enough to accommodate certain snippets from their lives and put us all out of our misery. Who knows? Maybe we missed some epic real life romance saga in the homes of one of our historical heroes? 
Originally posted by: sashashyam

I agree completely with your take on all this.

But this is nothing new, is it? Nor is it limited to Indian history. Queen Elizabeth I of England furnished enough material for God knows how may semi-fictional and purely fictional accounts of her reign, including Sir Walter Scott's classic Kenilworth,plus any number of films, from those of Bette Davis and  Errol Flynn to Shekar Kapur's diptych with Cate Blanchett. No one really knows whom, if anyone, she loved, whether she lived and died as the Virgin Queen, and a whole lot else.

It was the same with so many of British Kings, an in fact with an endless list of great personalities the world over. And closer to home, who knows the true story of Rani Rupmati, to take just one example?

It is the same now with Jodha Akbar. She was shown as a key figure even in K.Asif's Mughal-e-Azam, but not then as Jalal's immortal  beloved, that is all! I think it is the idea of love triumphing over barriers of religion and race that attracts people to this particular story..Plus, most of the contemporary accounts of Akbar's reign do not dwell much on his personal life. And one cannot discount the bias in such contemporary accounts, depending in who was writing them.

So you take your pick and enjoy yourself, that is all. At least it is a perfectly harmless pursuit!πŸ˜‰

Shyamala B.Cowsik

BlackWitch thumbnail
You made me laugh at  "just be ignorant and watch what I've done to such an important historical figure like Akbar" πŸ˜†πŸ˜† Had she just said this is an Ekta Kapoor serial, we would have all surmised that its bound to be illogical and inaccurate. You gotta give credit to the woman for persistence inaccuracy. She weaves awesome stories and then butchers them slowly. Thankfully, there is less to butcher in a historical epic cuz one can't show a lot of things she is fond of like one night stands, mistresses, divorce... Cuz Akbar already HAD a lot of mistresses. So we can glare at eyelocks with different women but have to sigh and accept that THAT atleast is accurate. 
I do think Noor Jahan - Jahangir and Mumtaz- Shah Jahan might not have been so crazily liked. I don't remember details on the former, but I do know Indian audience absolutely love strife and extreme hatred in their romantic pairs at once. That is like the formula. Slow steady romances might bore them out of their wits and send the TRPs plummeting. Though yes, historically, they would be an epic romance but best reserved for movies.  
Originally posted by: mystic786

Bravo, an awesome post!  πŸ‘ What u have stated is the truth and I completely agree with u. Even i sometimes feel that Mariam uz Zamani i.e. Harkha bai would be shocked if she were alive to see this. This whole Jodha (which isn't even her real name for god's sake!) and Akbar romance thing doesn't even have the slightest bit of historical accuracy. 

Ruqaiya was Akbar's chief consort as it is clearly stated in the Jahangirnama and his most loved queen, and as u pointed out that even "Jahangir spoke about his great love for his step mother Ruqaiyya". Jodha's certain political rights just arise out of the fact that she was Salim's mother. 

And Ekta proudly declares in her disclaimer that this serial isn't historically accurate at all, she might as well say  "just be ignorant and watch what I've done to such an important historical figure like Akbar".  

The eternal romance that DID happen i.e. Shah Jahan's with Mumtaz Mahal or Jahangir's with Nur Jahan,  is not  even portrayed in any movies, TV shows etc. 

''One can only marvel at the wonders of the human mind which saw an epic love story in a non existent historical scenario and which can now be touted as one of the most amazing subjects on which a drama can exist''  πŸ‘

BlackWitch thumbnail
Well I don't know whether Akbar got religious tolerance from Jodha. But certainly she must have impacted his life. Mostly, I think it was cuz she gave him his heir, Jahangir. For kings, that means a lot considering his precious Ruqaiya couldn't. I also feel the name Jodha is used for her cuz her actual name isn't so nice sounding. I mean, how would "Harkha-Akbar" sound? Probably, this was the only name which sounded appealing to the film makers and now the serial makers too. 
I agree its a genius idea, erroneous beyond belief but genius. And I really doubt history books would go into romantic details much. Sadly, Akbar's personal life isn't accounted for so much in records. I guess, people of that time were more considered with adm and warfare. 
Marriage of political alliance - haven't you hit on the formula for success on TV? I thought that is what Ekta shows in most of her shows - marriage of convenience is like the theme! No wonder she chose Jodha Akbar. Its an exciting show. But one does wish it was all true.
Originally posted by: sweet_gargi

Fabulous post girl..πŸ‘πŸ‘.you are absolutely right...History itself is something we can only imagine, as we know it only the way it is depicted in the history books..So whether history books of many kings and queens give us correct information, or something re-edited for the convenience of society or not, we don't know...We have to believe it as true. But from the time i watched the movie Jodha-Akbar i found it strange that i could never find any word of romance or romantic connection, in my history books of school. 

But one thing i always remember about Jodha and Akbar i.e it was a marriage of political alliance, which made Akbar know the hindu culture, and from what we got to study was that after his marriage with the rajput princess, he was a changed man. He started respecting other religion, specially hinduism and became a kind king, and got the title of Akbar...

My point here is whether there was a romantic impact on his life or not we can't say, but there must have been some  influence of Jodha on him. πŸ˜Š

Sorry to bore everyone with my long lectureπŸ˜†, but this post was definitely interesting and so i could not stop myself from commenting😳

BlackWitch thumbnail
Ahhh, you are well versed with Noor Jahan- Jahangir love story. I had no clue about this unfortunately. I do agree, if the facts presented are correct, that this might not have appealed to the masses. People aren't very fond of older woman- younger man romance. And Ekta relies on her popular formulas too much to take a risk like this. It must cost hell lot to make elaborate sets and costumes and pay so many actors. Another failure like Mahabharat won't be well for her career πŸ˜†
Originally posted by: sashashyam

2)Then again, he married Noorjehan when she was 34 and had a fairly grown up daughter by her deceased husband, Sher Afghan. Not a coy, blushing maiden or even a young  warrior goddess, but more like  a Punar Vivah circa 1611 (Jahangir apparently had 19 earlier begums)πŸ˜‰.

Now you  see why no one risked making  a film about this couple!πŸ˜‰

Shyamala Aunty

mystic786 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: gurl-enchanted

Well I don't know whether Akbar got religious tolerance from Jodha. But certainly she must have impacted his life. Mostly, I think it was cuz she gave him his heir, Jahangir. For kings, that means a lot considering his precious Ruqaiya couldn't. I also feel the name Jodha is used for her cuz her actual name isn't so nice sounding. I mean, how would "Harkha-Akbar" sound? Probably, this was the only name which sounded appealing to the film makers and now the serial makers too. 

I agree its a genius idea, erroneous beyond belief but genius. And I really doubt history books would go into romantic details much. Sadly, Akbar's personal life isn't accounted for so much in records. I guess, people of that time were more considered with adm and warfare. 
Marriage of political alliance - haven't you hit on the formula for success on TV? I thought that is what Ekta shows in most of her shows - marriage of convenience is like the theme! No wonder she chose Jodha Akbar. Its an exciting show. But one does wish it was all true.

The whole religious tolerance thing even that can't be owed to Jodha cause Akbar didn't have just one Rajput wife he had at least ten others. He just felt that it would be better for the Empire to grow and expand if he and his successors were  tolerant of other religions, then they wouldn't be restricted. Jodha's notability just arises out of the fact that she was Salim's mother and even then her status was never on par with Ruqaiya's or Akbar's other prominent wife, Salima's. 

And I'm not bashing her or anything but that's just the truth. There is not much known of Akbar's personal life cause he didn't have a love story in his life  like Shah Jahan, Jahangir etc.  he just loved his first wife, greatly respected his mother, his aunts and that's just it. Which brings us back to why Jodha Akbar is just sooo historically inaccurate. Yep, this is getting tiring πŸ₯±
SimiSays thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
Nicely & Rightly said! πŸ‘

BlackWitch thumbnail
Ahh, that might be it then. I knew he had many wives, but had no idea that many were Rajputs. Funny that film makers chose to do a romantic story on the least romantic pair, don't your think? πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
Originally posted by: mystic786

The whole religious tolerance thing even that can't be owed to Jodha cause Akbar didn't have just one Rajput wife he had at least ten others. He just felt that it would be better for the Empire to grow and expand if he and his successors were  tolerant of other religions, then they wouldn't be restricted. Jodha's notability just arises out of the fact that she was Salim's mother and even then her status was never on par with Ruqaiya's or Akbar's other prominent wife, Salima's. 

And I'm not bashing her or anything but that's just the truth. There is not much known of Akbar's personal life cause he didn't have a love story in his life  like Shah Jahan, Jahangir etc.  he just loved his first wife, greatly respected his mother, his aunts and that's just it. Which brings us back to why Jodha Akbar is just sooo historically inaccurate. Yep, this is getting tiring πŸ₯±

mystic786 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Yeah, he had married many Rajput women for political alliances including his marriage with Jodha. And yup, they're the least romantic pair which is all the more strange why the filmmakers chose them πŸ˜† Glad to know you think exactly like I do on this topic! πŸ˜†  

Originally posted by: gurl-enchanted

Ahh, that might be it then. I knew he had many wives, but had no idea that many were Rajputs. Funny that film makers chose to do a romantic story on the least romantic pair, don't your think? πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

Edited by mystic786 - 10 years ago