Page 2 Page 5

lola610

Viewbie

lola610

Posted: 08 July 2013 at 8:53pm | IP Logged
under construction

Edited by lola610 - 12 July 2013 at 12:03pm

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

j_joshiArchana.nacDebipriyaBhavaaniVibhishnaSurya_krsnbhaktAishuHiBawaricityoflightsProud-India..RamKiJanaki..

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Mytho Masti Book Club" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 08 July 2013 at 10:13pm | IP Logged
Yayyy...Always wanted something like this...

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

j_joshiDebipriyaVibhishnalola610.Vrish.

Surya_krsnbhakt

IF-Dazzler

Surya_krsnbhakt

Posted: 10 July 2013 at 6:54am | IP Logged
What is Mytho Masti Book Club? We'll be discussin about Mytho books?Big smile

j_joshi

j_joshi

Posted: 10 July 2013 at 11:22am | IP Logged
I think that's the idea, Surya, yes. I'm so excited!

One book I read years ago and adore is Yajnaseni, the story of Draupadi by Pratibha Ray. Have any of you read it? It's available in Hindi, English, and a whole bunch of Indian regional languages. It was original written in the author's language of Oriya. It's won tons of awards too because it's just so freaking genius! It gives such insight into what life must have been like for Draupadi, and how she was able to cope with five husbands and the life they all had. The conversations she has with Krishna are mindblowing! If you haven't read this book then I urge you to do so. It's so beautiful!

@ Lola - I wanted to post a link to my new Kindle book The Prophecy but it won't let me because I'm a newbie. (Which is totally understandable also. I didn't know if this was the right place to post the link anyway.)

Jai

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

DebipriyaBhavaaniSurya_krsnbhakt

Bhavaani

Coolbie

Bhavaani

Posted: 10 July 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged
Jai I totally agree with you about Yajnaseni! The love Draupadi has for Krishna is shown so beautifully, alongside how she tries to balance her role of being a wife to five very different husbands.
I read the English version so I don't know how much has been lost in translation, but it's an excellent read, beautiful and very classic. I don't know whether it's because the book is written by a female author, but Draupadi isn't treated as a mute who goes along with everything and only speaks up in Hastinapur's Sabha. Pratibha Ray's Yajnaseni questions everything from get go, asking things that we ourselves probably would have, had we been in her position - one such incidence being when Yudhistir states that all 5 brothers should marry her.

Oops...sorry for hijacking your topic before it's been finished Jethaniji! Can't wait to discuss more with you guys! Another author I'd love to discuss is Ashok Banker! Anyone read his Ramayan/ unfinished Krishna and Mahabharat series?

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

j_joshiDebipriyaSurya_krsnbhakt

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 10 July 2013 at 9:11pm | IP Logged
Wow, it's about time we had a thread like this, thanks Lola. Big smile I have so many mytho books I want to discuss with you guys, once this thread is officially open.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

j_joshiDebipriya

j_joshi

j_joshi

Posted: 10 July 2013 at 10:00pm | IP Logged
Yeah, Janaki, I'm trying so hard not to mention any more books! It's not easy.

But Bhavaani, yes, Yajnaseni is brilliant. I can read it again and again.

Now I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Debipriya

lola610

Viewbie

lola610

Posted: 10 July 2013 at 10:01pm | IP Logged
Wow, this thread is active before it's even ready?! Color me pleasantly surprised LOL The way I envisioned it, this will be a place for us to exchange reviews, recommendations, views, and interpretations of both novelized retellings of mythological stories (like Yajnaseni, which I've ordered on Vicky's recommendation and now I'm even more excited to read) and general spiritual texts (like various learned people's commentaries on the Bhagavatam, Gita, Vivekachudamani, etc.). Heck, we can even throw modern literature like Life of Pi into the mix for making us think about the role scriptural stories play in our lives. The only reason for my delay in editing the first post is that I haven't had time to decorate it, but other than that, it's open and ready to participate in! I look forward to the insights you guys have to offer :)

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

j_joshiDebipriyaBhavaaniSurya_krsnbhakt

Post Reply New Post

Go to top