Posted: 10 years ago
Hello friends😊

We are currently having a track on bullying in school which is a very relevant issue which is taking stage nowadays. Let's discuss

1. How does children get the idea/thoughts to bully others? We see three boys troubling Sunny...how do they get that much courage to do it?

2. What goes through the boy/girl getting bullied? How much will it affect them mentally. 

3. How different is bullying from ragging?

4. What should be done to those kids who bully others? They are after all kids too.
Bullying sometimes started as fun can exceed the boundaries and since it's always the seniors who bully certain juniors, it cannot be said of as courage you know, something they learn simultaneously as they grow. Just the tag of being a senior is enough to make a student puff their chest with pride. I'm not exaggerating but it's true, they consider it prestigious to roam around the school. It may be because of what they had seen their seniors doing, so they think of doing the same when they'd become seniors, for some wants- money and all, just to make it sound big, it becomes a tradition then...

Initially the bullied boy/girl would feel humiliated, fear would occupy their mind, their state of mind gets disturbed, and gradually their grades may fall down due to the lack of concentration..which may prove fatal at the end.

I don't have much of an idea how bullying is different from ragging..except for the fact, that freshers are ragged just on fun basis, but anything going over board is grave. 

Counselling..

Btw, nice topic Shwets  👍🏼
Edited by ITrustMyHeart - 10 years ago
@FG

I agree with your points. But I am still confused how kids get the thought to bully younger ones in school. They don't have the fear of teachers, they openly threaten also. This is something which is definitely happening. I was so disappointed with the way the teacher behaved on Thursday's episode.

I also feel kids should have the open bond with parents and parents need to talk if they sense even a little something wrong.

Parents know bullying and ragging are things that kids will get exposed to and hence they need to priorily have talks regarding this...not to get bullied as well as not bully others.

Counselling is one of the options...but won't that make the kid feel that there is something mentally wrong with them? 
Didn't get to watch Thursday's epi. Power cut 😔

Having a fine bondage with kids for the parents is an essential thing. Sometimes, children are quite scared to admit the bullying going on in schools and they prefer being mum as they fear they'd fall into deeper problems. So it's totally the responsibility of parents to make the child speak and listen with attention when they do. Jeet and Pinky aren't helping Sunny anyway which is making him distressed and low-spirited. 

Counselors are naturally behavior mentors. They help to get over the negative aspect and deal with the problems incurred by the child. And I read that for younger children, drawing/painting/ art and play are ways to detect the problem with them. The way they start of or end explains a lot about their metal state. 

And for older children, verbal talks are carried out, mostly friendly at first and might escalate into deeper conversations. I don't think that would create the impression of having a bad mental state. 

And the vital point, courage for attempting to bullying may be influence by friends etc..don't have a proper idea about that.

Edited by ITrustMyHeart - 10 years ago
Though it was a big big drag..it definitely had some valid and important points on Thurs episode.

Yes. Jeet and Pinky are not helping and above that Sunny is even more scared about them now. When the child is around Sunny's age..its a time to instill courage and bravery especially being a boy. Sunny is very timid and if he is the same when he enters college, things will be worse.

Counselling. I don't know. I have worked closely with kids before and I felt when kids are taken to counsellors, they feel very bad. They feel something is terribly wrong with them. 
According to me there is not much difference between bullying and ragging, except ragging is the worst form of bullying...and for some reason it's "accepted" because of tradition. 

Picking on people, making them feel bad about themselves, etc...is bad

I know there are different forms of ragging, however I am talking about the bad cases which have often led to people committing suicide etc. 

In terms of bullying...a bully does not need to have "courage" to hurt their victim...rather they like the control and power it gives them, and that's the food their mind gets which reinforces the behaviour of wanting to hurt the person weaker to them. 

For the person who is getting bullied, there are a lot of emotions that are often felt, and mostly all start with helplessness and a "why me" question in their mind. Then they start to accept that there must be something in them for them to be getting picked on, rather than realising that the fault does not lie in them, but in the bullies. 
The psychological state of a person getting bullied is pretty fragile, and often can lead to...well...pretty bad cases. 

I think it's important for kids to understand that picking on others is not right. 
Teachers need to be more sensitive about these matters and understand the signs of when a kid is getting bullied...
Unfortunately, there is no fool-proof method of dealing with bullying, because if that was the case then bullying won't exist. 
It depends on circumstances, the children involved, and many other factors. 

~K
Edited by Krani - 10 years ago
Great topic, and a paramount one was well. More relevant to me as I will be joining college soon and will surely be ragged. 😆

(1) There can be a plethora of reasons. In colleges, it's become more of a tradition, first years get ragged, so they rag the next batch and so on. It's just a show off of power, having dominance over the other. Some people love the feel of power, have loads of aggression. That's what may manifest as bullying. Some kids are also abused at home, which makes them feel helpless. So, showing their dominance where they can may give them the feeling that all is not over for them. Some people are just plain evil. As I said, numerous reasons.

(2) Depends on the level of bullying. Not a treat for them, sure. Some are able to withstand more, while some are not. But some are driven to suicide, thus it's not a thing we can just blow off. 

(3) Ragging is a worse form of bullying, which is accepted as a rite of passage and is practiced by nearly all.

(4) One needs to learn what is driving that kid to bully others. Although it's not possible to rectify all issues. Some people just derive pleasure from humiliating and hurting others and they never learn. They just need to be restricted strictly.
@Krani

Wonderful points😊

#Courage Yes..they want to exercise their power and control over others. But at such an young age is what is surprising. It is definitely possible..there are kids who like to bully their younger siblings...but to do that to some other young boy in the school definitely needs the courage. 

#Mental state Yes. The kid's mental state is very fragile and they are actually easy picking for the bullying boys. Parents and teachers have to play a huge role in helping that kid come out of that state instead of making things worse for them.

#Ragging Yes..ragging is another extreme which is taken seriously by colleges but it is not been able to be banned completely. Schools too shud take actions and steps to see that things like bullying does not happen in school

@FT

I am sure if you speak with your seniors in the same language u use hear..they will make you a part of their gang😆

1. Ragging in college has definitely become a tradition and with so many anti-ragging laws and councils being set ragging has definitely reduced comparatively in bigger colleges..at least in my city. Ragging has become more of fun and 1st years anticipate too. In that case if the fresher is prepared and takes it sportingly..there won't be an issue. But if the fresher is weak at heart and mind..and very sensitive..he/she becomes the target. 

2. It depends on the level of bullying and the age too. The age here surprises me a lot. 

4. What drives the kids is the big question. There are certain kids who likes to dominate others...that small sign must be enough for parents to start controlling and guiding them. Preventing is what is more necessary now more than curing. 
Originally posted by Shwets1502

@Krani

Wonderful points😊

#Courage Yes..they want to exercise their power and control over others. But at such an young age is what is surprising. It is definitely possible..there are kids who like to bully their younger siblings...but to do that to some other young boy in the school definitely needs the courage. 

#Mental state Yes. The kid's mental state is very fragile and they are actually easy picking for the bullying boys. Parents and teachers have to play a huge role in helping that kid come out of that state instead of making things worse for them.

#Ragging Yes..ragging is another extreme which is taken seriously by colleges but it is not been able to be banned completely. Schools too shud take actions and steps to see that things like bullying does not happen in school

I'd have to disagree with your first point. 
See, when a person bullies another individual, they're doing something they shouldn't be doing,...personally, I won't look at it as courage, rather as cowardice, but that's my personal opinion. 

It's often easier for kids these age to be swayed and turn extremely mean towards another individual. Mostly because the kids are unsure about the line between right and/or wrong, they are unsure whether they should stand up and say "no" to the bully, and they are also scared that if they don't encourage/support the bully, they may be the butt of the joke for their whole schooling time - something no kid wants. 

Also the "bystander affect"...no one wants to be the first person to stand up for what's right...so they let the victim experience the pain. 

I am sure that the child bullying Sunny may have his own problems or whatever, but I won't label his need for wanting to make Sunny feel inferior as courage...
He knows that Sunny won't tell anyone, he knows he's got the power...all of this is feeding into his mind and making him continue to torment the child. 

It's also the bully's own fear of the control slipping away that makes him do more terrible things and constantly remind Sunny that the bully is in control.
Edited by Krani - 10 years ago