Page 4 of 37

mikagurl23

IF-Dazzler

mikagurl23

Posted: 21 August 2006 at 10:32am | IP Logged
Zee to strengthen 8 pm slot with 'Banoo Main Teri Dulhann'

Indiantelevision.com Team

(8 August 2006 5:00 pm)

MUMBAI: Zee TV is all set to beef up its programming with Banoo Main Teri Dulhann, to kick off on 14 August at 8 pm from Monday to Friday. It replaces the long running soap Tumhari Disha and hopes to gain a strong viewership in the 8-10 pm slot, as it has already acquired popularity with leadout show Jab Love Hua, as well as Kasam Se and Saat Phere in subsequent slots.

Dulhann, also running along a women centric theme, is about an uneducated village girl Vidya waiting to be swept of her feet by a charming prince. Marriage, however, shatters her dreams as she faces the wrath of her husband and in-laws who belittle her background and education.

The essence of the show looks at the positivity with which she hopes to rise above these trials and win over her husband. Promising to have a good twist in the story, the show hopes to grip viewers.

Speaking to Indiantelevision.com on the strategy that has been used to pull in the viewership, Zee TV senior VP programming Ashvini Yardi said, "Based on the lines of a Cinderella story, the theme deals with a reality that most Indian women can identify with. Tumhari Disha came in at a time when Zee did not have the numbers it holds today, hence, we are hoping Dulhann will be able to achieve that."

The main characters are played by two fresh faces, Divyanka Tripathi (Vidya) from Bhopal and Kolkata boy Sharad Malhotra (Sagar). The two were contestants from Cine Star Ki Khoj. Nilima Bajpai from Shankuntala Films has handled the production.

Zee TV businesss head Punit Goenka said, "With Saat Phere, we addressed the issue of the discrimination a girl faces in many parts in India on the grounds of her skin colour. Banoo Main Teri Dulhann will touch upon and deal with the struggles an illiterate village girl has to undergo. If Kasam Se and Saat Phere have struck a chord with our viewers, Banno Main Teri Dulhann will take it further."

As Zee TV attempts to capture the 8 pm time band, it will have to face stiff competition from Sahara's recently launched Sati. Star Plus' Pyaar Ke Do Naam Ek Raadha Ek Shyaam is also in this time slot but, is yet to deliver numbers. Sony has also planned to launch a new show Hum Mei Hai Visshwas to replace Kaisa Ye Pyar Hai at 8 pm.

Now, its left to the viewer to decide whether the show will be able to achieve the stronghold it hopes to establish during the prime time slot.

http://indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k6/aug/aug84.htm

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "~*~Dulhan's Article Archive~*~ (Page 4)" in Banoo Main Teri Dulhann forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

nadaanmasakalli

IF-Achieverz

nadaanmasakalli

Posted: 21 August 2006 at 8:27pm | IP Logged
good information

nadaanmasakalli

IF-Achieverz

nadaanmasakalli

Posted: 21 August 2006 at 8:28pm | IP Logged
thnx for sharing

monika.goel

IF-Stunnerz

monika.goel

Posted: 22 August 2006 at 2:38pm | IP Logged

Divyanka Tripathi with Sharad Malhotra in Banoo Main Teri Dulhann

The naughtiest girl in telly-land

Vidya of Banoo Main Teri Dulhann is forgetful, absent-minded and clumsy in real life and often finds herself in trouble

Sapana Patil Poojary

Divyanka Tripathi comes across as a typical girl-next-door. The actress who plays Vidya in Banoo Main Teri Dulhann is very different from her on-screen character.

In real life, Divyanka is forgetful, clumsy and a real slowpoke! And she makes no bones about admitting it. "I am always late for my engagements. No matter what time of the day I have an appointment," she says. "No amount of planning ever helps me reach on time. Either I am stuck in a  traffic jam or something else comes up at the last moment. I feel like a winner when on rare occasions, I reach on time." And that's not all. For Divyanka is also extremely forgetful. The actress can't even remember her past goof-ups. "The good thing about my forgetful nature is that I don't remember my past fights and speak to the people I have fought with, happily. But the sad part is, I cannot remember the memorable incidents of my life. I also keep misplacing things. I have lost two mobile phones in a month. I had given my last phone for safe-keeping to someone on the sets and I couldn't remember who it was. I never saw my phone again," she says.

Often, her forgetful nature has landed Divyanka in trouble. "Some years ago, I was at Juhu beach with my friends. I left my purse on the shore and ventured into the sea to enjoy the waves. When I returned to the shore, I felt something amiss. When I realised, I had lost my purse, it was too late. And my purse had my return ticket to my hometown Bhopal," she says. Apparently, Divyanka is so absent-minded that she even forgot to bring her personal belongings when she moved to Mumbai. "My mom still keeps sending me my things," she laments. And her clumsy acts are hilarious. "Once, when I was at a rifle shooting contest, I realised that instead of keeping my right eye open, I had shut it," she says.

Edited by monika.goel - 22 August 2006 at 2:39pm

coolkidpoo

coolkidpoo

Posted: 23 August 2006 at 3:02am | IP Logged

Home My Profile   Advanced Search   Wishlist Shopping Cart Purchase History Gift Certificate

Add to cart
Add to wishlist
Calculate price

Photo Id: 4297308

Web Category: SPORTS
Category: SPO
Sub Category: SHOOTING

Keyword List
SHOOTING, SHOOTER, BHOPAL, RIFLE CLUB SHOOTING COMPETITION, WOMEN, PARTICIPANTS, DIVYANKA TRIPATHI

Caption: Divyanka Tripathi lifting her rifle at the Bhopal Rifle Club Shooting Competition in Bhopal on February 6, 2005. 145 shooters participated in the Intra Club shooting competition. Photo: A. M. Faruqui
Photographer : A M Faruqui
Credit: THE HINDU

Creation Date: 06-02-2005

City: BHOPAL
State: MADHYA PRADESH

Image Width: 2400 pixels
Image Height: 1861 pixels
File Size: 435443 bytes

POO Smile

*Shruti*

Global Moderator

*Shruti*

Posted: 25 August 2006 at 12:41am | IP Logged
Divyanka Tripathi

Divyanka's fascinated by Chameli

DEEPALI DHINGRA

She's all of 21 years and just like her on-screen persona, Divyanka Tripathi too comes from a simple middle class family. The dissimilarity, if any, between her and her character Vidya, is that Divyanka won't tolerate any wrong done to her. "Other than that, we both are quite the same," she says with a smile. The newest face on the telly circuit, wasn't totally prepared for all the responsibility that has befallen her, ever since she made her acting debut with Banoo Main Teri Dulhan. "I had done some modelling and smalltime acting jobs in my home town Bhopal but nothing as big as a lead role in a serial," she says. So is she overawed by everything around her? "Well, honestly speaking, I haven't had the time to think about it yet," she says with a laugh, "the feeling hasn't sunk in as yet." The girl from Bhopal has come a long way and seems to be adapting well to her new place of residence. "Even though I'm living in Mumbai alone, my parents keep coming to visit me," says Divyanka. But ask her if she's scared of living in Mumbai city and she shrugs confidently, "Oh no! I've stayed in camps before a number of times and I have an independent streak in me." Even though Divyanka is looking forward to a positive response from the audience, she has her eyes set on the big screen too. "If I'm offered a challenging role, then I would love to do it," she says. But what about skin-exposure, would she agree to a movie if it had that? "See, one cannot set limits for themselves like this. If the character and situation demands a scene like that, then I wouldn't mind," she says. She cites the example of Chameli. "Now a character like Chameli needed a little exposure but that was the demand of the movie," she says. And what would her wish list be like? "Chameli, Chandramukhi in Devdas, Sridevi in Sadma…." she rattles off.

*Shruti*

Global Moderator

*Shruti*

Posted: 26 August 2006 at 2:28am | IP Logged

Kolkota youth is happy with debut

The new chap on the small screen, Sharad Malhotra, who plays the male lead in Banoo Mein Teri Dulhann, is all praise for his mentor Zee TV for his foray into the tinselville. Hailing from the land of bhadralok, Kolkata, the actor found an apt launch pad via the channel's coveted talent hunt show Zee Cine Star Ki Khoj.

"I was selected out of 40 participants from all over India, but more than my abilities I attribute my success to Tarun Mehra, the marketing head of Zee TV, who zeroed in on me despite having a whole range of talented actors ready to play the character of Sagar in Dulhann," he says, further adding that he also plays the lead in the forthcoming untitled flick produced by Zee Telefilms.

Beside Zee, his reverence is reserved for Nidhi Arora and Samrat Mukherjee, theatre veterans from Kolkata who initiated him into acting. "It was a dream come true for me when I got the chance to step into the shoes of my idol Shah Rukh Khan. This happened when I got an opportunity to play Devdas on stage. I was so involved with the character that even during my spare time, I used to stand before the mirror and imagine myself like Shah Rukh. I owe my success to both Nidhiji and Samratda," he reminisces and aspires to make a name for himself in Bollywood. Here's wishing him luck.

*Shruti*

Global Moderator

*Shruti*

Posted: 26 August 2006 at 2:31am | IP Logged

By A.L. Chougule

With their reach restricted to cable and satellite homes in metros and big cities and watched by people with higher purchasing power, satellite channels' programming was and still is targeted at the affluent upper middle class, middle and lower middle class urban viewers. But now there is a subtle change happening in their programming content. With the number of cable and satellite homes increasing from 40 million two years ago to nearly 65 million now, satellite channels have started revisiting their programming so as to target viewers in middle-level cities and towns.

After capturing eyeballs in the Hindi heartland with Saath Phere, Kasamh Se and, to a certain extent, Jab Love Hua Zee's new show Banoo Main Tei Dulhan deals with the life of an illiterate girl from Benaras who has a fairytale wedding. As the story moves to Delhi after marriage Vidya realises that her dream of a happy and loving married life is shattered, thanks to her in-laws and husband who ill treat her because she is unlettered.

On the other hand, Star Plus's forthcoming show Karam Apna Apna is the story of Gauri who hails from a small hamlet of West Bengal. She is a simple and semi-educated girl without any ambition who puts the interest of her family before herself and dedicates her life to make her father and her sister happy. Her dream of marrying her fianc Shashank gets shattered when she is compelled to work as a servant in a rich household because of an old unpaid loan that her father owes to the owner of the haveli. 

A year or two earlier, these subjects would not have even been given a thought, leave alone giving them prime time space. But market reality has changed considerably in the last three years and channels can ignore it at their own peril. The high level of competition and consumption saturation in metros and big cities has forced business houses, especially fast moving consumer goods manufacturers (they also happen to be the big advertisers on TV), to target consumers in smaller cities, towns and semi-urban areas where household incomes have shown impressive growth.

As television business in India is largely driven by ad revenue and less on subscription income, general entertainment pay channels have no option but to act in tandem with the changing economic reality.
Ashish Kaul, Zee's senior vice-president, corporate brand development, doesn't disagree with the broader changes in economic and business scenario. But he says Zee's primary focus has always been the Hindi heartland. "For us the metros and big cities are secondary unlike Star and Sony which take pride in being upmarket channels," he points out.

"The essence of our programming is determined by the elements and values of the heartland because in any case the upper middle class families don't watch these shows. The audience for serials primarily comes from C and D classes (middle, lower middle and labour classes) though majority of consumers for FMCG and durable goods come from B (upper middle class) and C classes. The D class watches TV because it aspires for economic mobility." 

Shailja Kejriwal, senior creative director, Star India says the B class also watches general entertainment channel but she admits that the real eyeballs comes from C and D classes. However, in keeping with the changing market reality Shailja says Star Plus is also focusing on small cities and towns. "Having captured the lead position in metros we are increasing the weightage for viewers of smaller places in our programming.

While the primary viewer of a mass channel is always the housewife, the spread of programming mix must keep pace with economic reality. One can't ignore the urban market but one also can't ignore the emerging middle and small town markets as well," she elaborates. Nina Jaipuria, Sony's vice-president, marketing and communications, denies that Sony caters to only upmarket audience. "Our programming revolves around middle class families and values and our target audience has always been the aspirational viewer who identifies with heartland value system," she clarifies. 

Post Reply New Post

Go to top