India-Forums

Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat
Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Being Dhanush:Defying Conventional Superstar Mould

TheRager IF-Addictz
TheRager
TheRager

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 1:04am | IP Logged
Being Dhanush: Defying Conventional Superstar Moulds!

Like most, I went to watch Raanjhanaa with drooping spirits and I came out smiling gleefully to myself. Not because, I found the movie fantastic. Undoubtedly its first half was wonderful, but the smiles were because I almost had a crush on Dhanush! While colleagues laughed at me for it, I still maintain that for a large part of the film I found great difficulty in taking my eyes off Dhanush, despite a more cutesy and dimpled Abhay Deol sharing screen space for a while. Abhay, with his chocolate boy looks, is an obvious plus. But that's not the highlight point of the film – it is the Southern star's innocence, naivety and the mirth he minutely renders on screen with each slide.

The nonsense Kolaveri Di was an immediate hit with most, while I managed to keep my detest for it intact. However, as the persistent wrist slashing stalker Kunder, Dhanush is endearing. You don't care about his typical un-superstar like looks. It is his graceful acting that overpowers you. It won't be hard for you to like this man, despite his inherent diction flaws or the script's faltering for that matter.

He isn't the first unlike-hero like hero Bollywood has seen. The man, we call Shehenshah today was a lanky, looking tall man with a gorgeous voice. Amitabh Bachchan's success story we are all so familiar with, is half reported one. Most miss out the segment of Big B's life where he was rejected for a series of films for the apparent lack of acting talent in him. It was in Anand that he eventually got noticed. But there's large span before he went on give hits like Silsila and Deewar where the man was faced with hard-hitting failures that drained him, which luckily reflected earnestly in Anand.

As Indians, we are naturally obsessed with good looks, inclined towards fair skin. I won't be surprised that with none of these ingredients Dhanush can still see himself as a Bollywood superstar in the days to come. But Hindi cinema cringes to give ample backing to not very 'obvious' stars! Yet, talent never goes in vain.

In a minimal role in Tapan Sinha's Ek Doctor Ki Maut, Irrfan Khan featured in one of his most prominent early roles. At that time, he could have easily been sidelined as another actor who wasn't fit to be in mainstream Bollywood. And indeed he never settled for the mediocrity of the candyfloss. Excavating for himself more realistic and meaty roles, Khan is today recognized as the face of Bollywood in the International Market. Sharing space with Academy Award nominated Hollywood star Angelina Jolie in A Mighty Heart to featuring in the superhero film The Amazing Spiderman, Khan despite his overtly plain looks has emerged as a star. With critical acclaim and talent aiding him, there was no stopping for Irrfan Khan. And thank God for it, as it gave us wonderful films like Paan Singh Tomar and The Namesake.

Similar is the story of another emerging actor who won our hearts in Dibaker Banerjee's film in Bombay Talkies. A mere mute scene can be so impactful, without words in unimaginable. Nawazuddin Siddique with his acting prowess became the omnibus film's most attractive point.

Perhaps the audiences still cheer for the more good looking actors, the better built actors. But there is another emerging set of audiences who prefer content, substance and talent. For them, looks don't matter. Yes, dimples are an obvious plus but they are never a necessity. All you Fair and Lovely users and breeders of similar attitudes, raise the standard of your thinking and look out for the star who has just arrived! Cheers to Dhanush.

http://www.koimoi.com/bollywood-news/being-dhanush-defying-conventional-superstar-moulds/

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

..Chandni..WhiteNights.-SUMITaholic-MoronsKiMallikaSunoNa...monu_tanMallika-E-BhaisTeAmo_Messi-Swetha-

noorsand Goldie
noorsand
noorsand

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 1:30am | IP Logged
I have a crush on Dhanush too after watching the movieEmbarrassed. I hope he continues his success story in BW.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Haeyeol

SunoNa... IF-Sizzlerz
SunoNa...
SunoNa...

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 1:40am | IP Logged
Dhanush has got his own charm.
While watching Polladhavan i felt he kind of looks good, and as they say beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder .

I always felt SRK wasnt good looking and i still feel so, but he had his charm initially which i really used to like.. 
AB Sr. looks good after he has grown old, while he was young he wasnt good looking either..

Haeyeol

sub_rosa IF-Dazzler
sub_rosa
sub_rosa

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 1:58am | IP Logged

I don't know any other young actor in India who is as natural and uninhibited on screen as Dhanush. He is almost making me want to watch Tamil films. LOL.

Edited by sub_rosa - 27 June 2013 at 2:15am

Haeyeol

ElOqUeNcE IF-Sizzlerz
ElOqUeNcE
ElOqUeNcE

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 2:16am | IP Logged
Bt i dnt lik him lol
WhiteNights. IF-Dazzler
WhiteNights.
WhiteNights.

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 2:17am | IP Logged
For me, I have already admitted in one of the earlier threads that I was taken aback when, some years back while visitng Chennai and found out that this guy was actually a 'hero'. I can very well blame my insenstivity to the fact that I was immature and took him by 'face-value'.  Having no idea of his acting skills, my superficial belief was that a guy needs to be 'good-looking' (whatever that means) with six pack abs to be able to play  hero to convince  lakhs of people.
Off course, all my opinion of him changed after I saw him on screen for the first time while he crooned Kolaveri Di. That instant I found him extremely attractive. I believe that the camera has a love affair with Dhanush.  The moment he comes on screen, you are bound to get smitten by his charm.
Yes, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder for sure. To me, he is beautiful. Plus being talented, simple and sincere definitely pays off and it has done in case of Dhanush.
All the best to Dhanush for his stint in bollywood, and I sincerely hope he goes a long long way not only because he is an actor par excellence and deserves so but also because as audience we need to be enthralled and enriched by experiencing this dynamite of talent. 

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

..Chandni..sweetmadhuriMoronsKiMallikaSunoNa...

-Swetha- IF-Addictz
-Swetha-
-Swetha-

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 2:51am | IP Logged
^ Well written article on Dhanush / Raanjhanaa .. Clap
MoronsKiMallika IF-Sizzlerz
MoronsKiMallika
MoronsKiMallika

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 2:58am | IP Logged
You know what is the best part? Audience is willing to embrace you if you have talent to offer - its ok if you are no Hrithik or Clint Eastwood- be honest with your work and tell us a story and we are gonna love you! Dhanush is that kind of a guy and i am more of a fan of him as a person than an actor. 

TFS.:-)

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

..Chandni..ChippeshwiniMallika-E-Bhais

Go to top