Posted: 10 years ago
I couldnt help but notice that some of the recent successes had a strong correlation with a successful soundtrack.

YJHD, Ashiqui 2, Student of the Year. 

How much do you think does the music of a film affect its boxoffice prospects?

Would Ashiqui 2, YJDH, SOTY be as successful just based on their theatrical trailers if they didnt have the music they did?

Discuss.

If music of the movie is hit, 30 crore is ensured. 
Now that I think about it, any hugely successful film without hit music?

Only film that comes to mind is Barfi...or Talaash.
As in, Barfi didnt have chartbusters as such.

Edited by desigal90 - 10 years ago
Race 2 was a sequel though. Those always get a boost thanks to the popularity of the original.

OMG, Special Chabbis...how much did they make? I use the term successful rather loosely here. Straight up how much business they did .Edited by desigal90 - 10 years ago
When you have a really strong script backed by brilliant performances like say Kahani or Paan Singh Tomar or OMG, music kinda becomes inconsequential..But when the script is run of the mill and there is nothing spectacular about the story or direction, good music plays a huge role in boosting its prospects. All three movies you mentioned had cliched run of the mill stuff but were backed by brilliant music and/ or good chemistry between the leads.

Himesh reshamiya's hit music did wonder to many silly  films.

😆

I don't know how much did OMG & Special 26 make...  We have to ask our resident BO experts for that.

BTW, Aiyyaa's music was hit but the movie tanked.

I think it's even simpler.
I think HIT music sorta guarantees a good opening. Regardless of who's in the film. That's enough of a boost that if a film had a decent enough storyline, it'll be successful.

Films like OMG, Kahaani normally get weak openings but then grow due to word of mouth. And since their budgets are normally controlled, they are able to profit and be successful.
Edited by desigal90 - 10 years ago
Lots of movies fare very well without charbusting music nowadays. Most of Vidya's movies.. Paa, Kahani, Ishquiya hardly has any music to speak of. Things are changing from the movies of the 80's and 90's. Good scripts, strong acting, good WOM can overcome poor music scores.