India-Forums

Chhan Chhan
Chhan Chhan

What do you think?

biancaraj Groupbie
biancaraj
biancaraj

Posted: 26 June 2013 at 10:22am | IP Logged

Chhan Chhan is modern and Umaben is traditional, which is an obvious fact. Umaben was brought up during an era in which women were taught to conform to certain conventions, throughout their whole life. The question is, Has that completely vanished today? 

My take on that would be...The values and attitudes of society has changed. Perhaps, 'modernised' would be a better wording. However, the conventions still remain in practice today as we must remember that our parents were too brought up in the presence of such society  therefore, they may still hold those values today.  Furthermore, the evolution of society has become a constant cycle, 'some' parents begin to be critical about what they have been taught and 'some' teach those conventions to their children.  For example, my parents are 50/50 - By that I mean,  they teach me culture and values as they believe that I should be aware of those. I believe in that too because it helps us to identify ourselves. However, they are not VERY conventional. For instance, I am 17 and I don't even know how to make a cup of tea. ROFL My mum does stress on that quite often but their expectation of me is to study and work hard. My mum always tells me that 'education' comes before everything else. Obviously, she does expect me to start learning how to cook eventually before I get married. But, she believes that a woman's gift is 'education.' 

My question to you would be...do you think that the values for instance, UB holds, do they still exist in practise? 

Edited by biancaraj - 26 June 2013 at 10:23am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

decent07Parud_Foreverprincessunara

princessunara IF-Stunnerz
princessunara
princessunara

Posted: 26 June 2013 at 10:28am | IP Logged
a wonderful question raised.. and what ur parents tell you about studies being imp and should be above everything else is what I also was brought up to believe.

meaning despite being a girl learning how to cook or how to iron something properly did not feature imp factors during school days. What marks i brought home was the most vital thing and the main thing that was expected of me..its the same thing that is being expected of my younger bro now.

Anyway as for ur question i believe that most values have to change for 1 vital reason. Those older day values in any society was built on a very core structure of living.

men went out and earned and women were home makers.

But today women work alongside men and thus share the position of the breadwinner of a family. thus the social structure itself has changed.. therefore a woman's role in society is also different.. therefore the traditionally what is classified as gender specific activities no longer are so gender specific.

if a woman and man both go out to work, when the return home its unfair to expect the woman to alone go to the kitchen and do the activities all alone as if she was on a vacation full day..it is now a days a shared activity..

so the restrictions on a woman is no longer applicable due to practical reasons.. that is how traditions that acted as restrictions to women r mostly obsolete and ill-fit for today's day and age..

Edited by princessunara - 26 June 2013 at 10:38am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

biancaraj

biancaraj Groupbie
biancaraj
biancaraj

Posted: 26 June 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged
Originally posted by princessunara

a wonderful question raised.. and what ur parents tell you about studies being imp and should be above everything else is what I also was brought up to believe.

meaning despite being a girl learning how to cook or how to iron something properly did not feature imp factors during school days. What marks i brought home was the most vital thing and the main thing that was expected of me..its the same thing that is being expected of my younger bro now.

Anyway as for ur question i believe that most values have to change for 1 vital reason. Those older day values in any society was built on a very core structure of living.

men went out and earned and women were home makers.

But today women work alongside men and thus share the position of the breadwinner of a family. thus the social structure itself has changed.. therefore a woman's role in society is also different.. therefore the traditionally what is classified as gender specific activities no longer are so gender specific.

if a woman and man both go out to work, when the return home its unfair to expect the woman to alone go to the kitchen and do the activities all alone as if she was on a vacation full day..it is now a days a shared activity..

so the restrictions on a woman is no longer applicable due to practical reasons.. that is how traditions that acted as restrictions to women r mostly obsolete and ill-fit for today's day and age..

That was very analytical! I agreed with each and every word you said! Thumbs Up  Thank you for that!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

princessunara

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top