Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Are sexual jokes still taboo for women? (Page 3)

krystal_watz IF-Sizzlerz
krystal_watz
krystal_watz

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 12:06am | IP Logged
Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

Originally posted by McNinja

Hey Birdie...all the good stuff in life indeed. You know what I'm going in about LOL

Yes, but if I'm going to watch some standup act then I'm not looking at the classy factor..I just want to laugh. Whether its a man or woman doesn't really matter. Sexism is as about appealing as man-boobs. Pardon my lapse in class LOL

LOL no problem if they can make us laugh. But women generally dont strike me as being very funny, not that i particularly care. I mean what kind of guy would want to listen to a punch line delivered wrong when he can be having real fun? Know what i mean?LOL

No I don't. Tongue

BirdieNumNum Goldie
BirdieNumNum
BirdieNumNum

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 12:17am | IP Logged
Originally posted by krystal_watz

No I don't. Tongue

lol it's a thing called comprehension. Some people have it, some dont. Just dont be too harsh on yourself nowLOL
krystal_watz IF-Sizzlerz
krystal_watz
krystal_watz

Posted: 27 June 2013 at 10:18pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

No I don't. Tongue

lol it's a thing called comprehension. Some people have it, some dont. Just dont be too harsh on yourself nowLOL

What is comprehension? Ouch
return_to_hades IF-Sizzlerz
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 28 June 2013 at 7:43am | IP Logged

I don't know about India because I haven't seen as many Indian stand ups acts, nor gauged much of the Indian audience in response to sexual comedy.

Sex & The City was a hugely popular mainstream show here that had women discussing and joking about many explicit subjects. It was well received and acclaimed. But it did have its share of controversies and raised eyebrows. If you look back, even Golden Girls of the nineties had some explicit jokes.

Nowadays I see plenty of raunchy female stand up acts on Comedy Central – many are hugely popular. Kathy Griffin, Margaret Cho, Stephanie Miller – all get really really dirty at times, and are popular too. Movies like Bridesmaids and now The Heat have women doing crass, explicit kind of humor usually associated with men. I won't say it is wholeheartedly accepted, there are still some controversies – but overall I'd say it is accepted and people dig it.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

hit_homerun-Inferno-

McNinja IF-Rockerz
McNinja
McNinja

Posted: 28 June 2013 at 8:07am | IP Logged

Has it really gone away as we all claim, or is it still there? I'm talking about the prejudice that surrounds women comedians or comedy show participants cracking jokes about sex or sensual subjects. Do you think the current Television audience of our country is receptive to women making jokes about sex, or do they react with a squirm and look away? Discuss.

Desi women are prudes. They blush at the mention of the anything relating to sex, even if it's a joke. Not sure when these women will learn to be a bit laid back about one of the most natural parts of life. But I digress...are you asking how desi women/comedians making lewd jokes are received vs. a man making the same jokes, or comedians in general? 

@ Bold: Not all are. Most are not in this day and age.

@Red: This was my question.

@bold I have to disagree with that. Of course there are exceptions to everything but most put up an act. They like to say that they are much more open-minded than past generations, are okay with the amount of attention sex is given, or that they don't care about someone's sexual history or viewpoints. But the minute you bring up something unconventional as per desi standards, they will judge you and preach. I've noticed it's mostly towards other desis that they behave like this. It's the same thing as a girl saying she doesn't care about a persons past, yet make a big deal when their boyfriend reveals something they find unsavory...most can't handle it. Then you have plenty of desi guys who are openly sexually active yet will want to marry a virgin. These are stereotypes perhaps, but they aren't unwarranted. 

That's not to say there aren't those that truly are open-minded, I know plenty..but most of these people exist here in the States. When you look at it desis collectively, meaning those abroad and those back home, it's a common trend that anything sexual is taboo. 

@topic I don't know much about the comedy scene in India, but I've seen Russel Peters standup a few times where the audience is mostly desi...he can be vulgar at times but he's well perceived. 

I don't know if you're familiar with Pakistani stage dramas, but these acts are meant to be extremely vulgar yet funny. Nargis(i think thats her name) is a famous female performer and she's pretty much hated by the masses. And only men go to these shows, so based on this I would say perhaps the desi audiences in the motherlands aren't as receptive to coarse humor. 

Edited by McNinja - 28 June 2013 at 8:07am

hit_homerunkrystal_watz

hit_homerun Senior Member
hit_homerun
hit_homerun

Posted: 29 June 2013 at 4:07am | IP Logged

[QUOTE=krystal_watz]

@bold I have to disagree with that. Of course there are exceptions to everything but most put up an act.

not really , I think majority are okay with such subjects , Isnt that why non-veg jokes are so popular? 

They like to say that they are much more open-minded than past generations, are okay with the amount of attention sex is given, or that they don't care about someone's sexual history or viewpoints. But the minute you bring up something unconventional as per desi standards, they will judge you and preach. I've noticed it's mostly towards other desis that they behave like this. It's the same thing as a girl saying she doesn't care about a persons past, yet make a big deal when their boyfriend reveals something they find unsavory...most can't handle it. Then you have plenty of desi guys who are openly sexually active yet will want to marry a virgin. These are stereotypes perhaps, but they aren't unwarranted. 

That's not to say there aren't those that truly are open-minded, I know plenty..but most of these people exist here in the States. When you look at it desis collectively, meaning those abroad and those back home, it's a common trend that anything sexual is taboo. 

krystal_watz IF-Sizzlerz
krystal_watz
krystal_watz

Posted: 29 June 2013 at 5:49am | IP Logged

Has it really gone away as we all claim, or is it still there? I'm talking about the prejudice that surrounds women comedians or comedy show participants cracking jokes about sex or sensual subjects. Do you think the current Television audience of our country is receptive to women making jokes about sex, or do they react with a squirm and look away? Discuss.

Desi women are prudes. They blush at the mention of the anything relating to sex, even if it's a joke. Not sure when these women will learn to be a bit laid back about one of the most natural parts of life. But I digress...are you asking how desi women/comedians making lewd jokes are received vs. a man making the same jokes, or comedians in general? 

@bold I have to disagree with that. Of course there are exceptions to everything but most put up an act. They like to say that they are much more open-minded than past generations, are okay with the amount of attention sex is given, or that they don't care about someone's sexual history or viewpoints. But the minute you bring up something unconventional as per desi standards, they will judge you and preach. I've noticed it's mostly towards other desis that they behave like this. It's the same thing as a girl saying she doesn't care about a persons past, yet make a big deal when their boyfriend reveals something they find unsavory...most can't handle it. Then you have plenty of desi guys who are openly sexually active yet will want to marry a virgin. These are stereotypes perhaps, but they aren't unwarranted. 

@topic I don't know much about the comedy scene in India, but I've seen Russel Peters standup a few times where the audience is mostly desi...he can be vulgar at times but he's well perceived. 

I don't know if you're familiar with Pakistani stage dramas, but these acts are meant to be extremely vulgar yet funny. Nargis(i think thats her name) is a famous female performer and she's pretty much hated by the masses. And only men go to these shows, so based on this I would say perhaps the desi audiences in the motherlands aren't as receptive to coarse humor. 

I take your point. But I'd have to insist on the "Desis are open-minded in today's age" assertion when it comes to men. LOL Pretty much every Comedy show on Indian (Hindi and Regional) Television is 54% full of outright explicitly sexual or brushing-past-sexual-subjects jokes.

Edited by krystal_watz - 29 June 2013 at 5:50am

-Inferno-McNinja

McNinja IF-Rockerz
McNinja
McNinja

Posted: 01 July 2013 at 11:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by hit_homerun

[QUOTE=McNinja][QUOTE=krystal_watz]

@bold I have to disagree with that. Of course there are exceptions to everything but most put up an act.

not really , I think majority are okay with such subjects , Isnt that why non-veg jokes are so popular? 

LOL Didn't you just repeat a similar point as Krystal, and to which my reply was aimed? I guess you can go ahead and reread my reply to see how I would answer here...I can assure you my opinions haven't changed over these past few days.

As far as non-veg..well I hear sausages can be delectable. LOL

Edited by McNinja - 01 July 2013 at 11:57am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

hit_homerun

Go to top