Chat Clubs

India-Forums

Chat Clubs
Chat Clubs

R.I.P 3I!Do This Lungi Dance!OPKSE#3*STRICTLY IO* (Page 4)

aparnauma IF-Stunnerz
aparnauma
aparnauma

Posted: 04 July 2013 at 8:51pm | IP Logged

A thought provoking article which says all I wanted to say about mindset of people from certain parts of the country.

It makes me feel proud to be a South Indian.Smile

Just to show how far South Indian Cinema has come  as opposed to Cinema from other parts of the country.Wink

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?286457

FOTOCORP (FROM OUTLOOK 08 JULY 2013)
Regular guy Why the caveat?
OPINION
On An Even Plain
Why does the southerner remain the other for Bollywood?

In a film world where fantasies spin in technicolor, black is the new white. From Karthi, Mysskin, Vijay Sethupathi, Aadhi, Vishnu, Jeeva, Vishal, Pasupathy now heroes and villains are of even tones in Tamil cinema. Their regular looks produce extraordinary cinema. As a matter of plain fact, actors like Vikram, Surya or Arya have played down their star statuses to take on roles that demanded them to play marginalised characters.

To be fair, pardon the pun, one of the jibes thrown at southern film audiences is that they covet fair skin (read north Indian women playing heroines). It was the case with heroes earlier too. mgr with his peaches-and-roses complexion played the part of a fair saviour of the oppressed in his films. Kamalahaasan shrugged off his Iyengar heritage by playing a variety of rustic and edgy roles on screen.

On the popularity chart (mass appeal, as the trade pundits put it), Rajnikanth, the superstar, and Vijayakant, the action man, relied on exaggerated mannerisms and incredulous action to convey a superhuman energy as though to offset their lack of conventional looks befitting TV advertisements for melanin creams. Their audiences venerated them as demi-gods and they receive a certain frenzied reaction from their fans.

That's changing too. Heroes have turned real in Tamil films. They exemplify ordinariness, rootedness and an ethnic identity to their village or pettai (area). Apart from formulaic movies that continue to chase box-office success, a growing number of sensitive, crazy, zany movies and their ordinary heroes are making for enjoyable cinema in Tamil Nadu. This hero does not flatten a dozen villains by swinging a single fist or seduce a heroine with excessive machismo. He is for real.

Dhanush and his ilk are a talented group of leading men who're playing roles that are set in the ghetto, the backstreets or the rough countryside of Tamil Nadu, not springing from Swiss locales. The violence in their films, the ambiguity they display in expressing affection for women'from stalking to rude madness'is discomfiting but an expression of their unschooled incoherence in a rapidly altering metropolitan world. Their acting successes and awards are for bringing socially ostracised characters into the mainstream without succumbing to the weight of formula.

Hence, holding up of Dhanush for scrutiny as an 'other' for his complexion and not catering to a template for cheesy ad good looks by critics and audiences in his maiden Hindi filmRaanjhanaa has induced kolaveri among his Tamil fans on social networks. Appreciation for Dhanush's performances that comes with the caveat of his 'unconventional' looks has ignited flame wars on the internet.

For the Hindi film world, the south Indian comes in for caricature even in this age of inclusion. The southerner serves as the tacky cool prop, a provincial to be relished as a kitschy character. In a Hindi film, he's a folksy oddity, mocked for his accent while speaking Hindi (no one heckles Javier Bardem or his missus Penelope Cruz for their English accents), food habits and rusticity. He is glossed over as a cute cartoon, a gauche buffoon and is milked for easy laughs in movies by the badshahs of Bollywood employing facetious sarcasm and making flippant spoofs.

One of the reasons cited for how the blues led to the birth of rock 'n roll in America was the active admiration, endorsement and collaboration from White musicians. White musicians openly credit their own music for evolving under the influences of soul, blues and early rock and the mentoring by Black musical heroes. A kind of analogy exists: Kolaveri or a Rahman's music has that much verve to transcend the Vindhyas to get Bollywood dancing to its tunes.

The Black film community of Hollywood, which has often bemoaned a lack of strong parts, is entering the mainstream now. A visible indie film movement and the growing market for multicultural movies have helped them. Here too, Bollywood and south Indian films have borrowed scripts, music, worked with filmmakers over the last many years which is the way to healthy creative collaboration. Yet, Mani Ratnam has not made Abhishek Bachchan play a Tamil with a crude accent nor mocked Shahrukh Khan for his north Indianness in his films. Rajni or Kamal don't play silly sardars or bumbling Biharis in Tamil films for comic effect. Spare us the aiyaiyos. We dig the Malayali Srinivasans of Company, Tamil Ananthakrishnans of Shanghai and Kannada Chittiyappas of That Girl in Yellow Boots. The rest are just 'rascal-a, mind it'.

Edited by aparnauma - 04 July 2013 at 9:43pm

-FreeLancer- IF-Stunnerz
-FreeLancer-
-FreeLancer-

Posted: 04 July 2013 at 10:04pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Payali09

HP HP HP!  I re-read the entire series at least once a year.

The last couple of books were always released around my birthday and served as the easiest birthday presents from my family  Big smile

It was a standard rule during high school that no one in my group of friends could talk about the latest released HP until everyone finished reading it LOL  I remember one moron walking around spilling the biggest spoiler from book 6 and everyone in the class yelling at him.  Even one of the teachers had a go at him ROFL

LOL

HP memoriesEmbarrassed...When deathly hallows was supposed to comeout...I got it prebooked and the book was supposed to hit the shelf at 4 am in the morning...My schoolmate n I stood there from 3 amLOLLOL...and the minute we got our books...we camped out in the bookstore to finish it off at one go...5 hours flatLOL

I had a bad habit of reading the last few pages first...so even though the suspense would generally be out there...i used to enjoy then reading from the start to find out how did it get there

Man I felt worse when Sirius died Crythan on Dumbledore's death and Snape ko toh itna curse kiya hoga na...ofcoz until his past came out

DrModel IF-Rockerz
DrModel
DrModel

Posted: 04 July 2013 at 11:23pm | IP Logged
OMG the questions people asked Shah; who writes these questions?
and shah answered them with the utmost grace. 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-FreeLancer-

DrModel IF-Rockerz
DrModel
DrModel

Posted: 04 July 2013 at 11:38pm | IP Logged
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=nkqb-xX4meo

OMG! The dimples! 
Hiralwa EOS ko dekh; he looks mesmerized, standing in the cornerLOL
OMG SHAHRUKH KHAN...saturday kab aayega I wanna watch thisEmbarrassed

Edited by DrModel - 04 July 2013 at 11:39pm

-FreeLancer-

DrModel IF-Rockerz
DrModel
DrModel

Posted: 05 July 2013 at 12:02am | IP Logged

Shobhaa De calls 'Raanjhanaa a pretty nasty, ridiculously confused film'

Shobhaa De calls 'Raanjhanaa a pretty nasty, ridiculously confused film'

Here's what columnist Shobhaa De had to say about recently released Bollywood film Raanjhanaa which opened to good reviews from critics and audiences alike. Movie has also did good business at the box office and managed to get the hit tag.

So...everybody is going ga-ga over a movie about a demented stalker harrowing an innocent victim, and calling it a sweet love story! Excuse me! 'Raanjhanaa' is such a ridiculously confused film, it really requires better (and deeper) analysis than the mindless raves it has received. While there was something deliriously charming about the zany 'Tanu weds Manu' made by the same bloke, this one is seriously psychotic. The problem with Raanjhanaa is in the subliminal message it sends out. The movie actually glorifies a dangerous social crime (stalking) and makes a hero out of a man who ruins so many lives because the girl he loves does not love him back!

What starts off as an innocent schoolboy crush on a neighbourhood beauty is soon converted into a full blown obsession that will stop at nothing - not even death. Dhanush (talented, vaghera-vaghera ...BUT!) is shown hounding poor Sonam (a commendable performance) in a manner so crude and relentless, it is a wonder she doesn't push him off the nearest cliff.

Not only does the lovestruck Kundan embarrass Zoya over and over again, he refuses to take her firm, unambiguous 'no' for an answer. Of course, the plot goes all over the place trying to convince us about the nobility of his single minded passion. But wait a minute - the beautiful, educated Muslim girl simply ain't interested in this scrawny, scruffy, semi-literate son of the local Hindu priest. Doesn't he get it? Everybody else does. Not only does he not get it, he refuses to let the poor girl be.

The rest of the story is just too absurd to merit further discussion. The main point is that the character of this psychohero is elevated, romanticized and projected as the ultimate lover...who will go to any extreme for the girl he has unilaterally committed his life to. Never mind that she really doesn't care a fig about him, uses him ruthlessly and generally treats him like a serf. Wrists are slashed, the girl's fiance attacked and left to die, and several other highly contrived situations get injected into the script in order to depict perfect, unconditional love. Bakwas!

Audiences across India are going home teary and touched by Kundan's maha 'sacrifice' in the end. Now, if only Kundan had taken the hint and stopped harassing Zoya right at the start, so many lives would have been spared. 'Raanjhana' (I had no clue what the title stood for... I assumed it was the heroine's name spelt South Indian style), is many films clumsily rolled into one. The narrative is so scrambled, one wonders what the director had in mind - is it a doomed Hindu-Muslim love story significantly set in Varanasi? Or a statement film about student politics in Delhi?

The first half is about an obsessive, aggressive stalker harrowing the object of his desire. The second half is devoted to a half-assed political commentary. Through all this convoluted mess, Dhanush the Stalker remains crazily focused on tormenting Sonam and her folks. Is this fair? Is this even love? What sort of a signal is the film sending out to all those misguided romeos who think it is perfectly okay to fling acid on a girl's face for having the gal to reject romantic overtures and improper attention?

Kundan's 'love' is entirely one sided and delusional. We read about similar stories in the press all the time. In each case, it is the girl who suffers, through no fault of hers. In the movie Kundan demolishes several families when Zoya chooses someone else. Hello? Isn't that her sole prerogative? Sorry.

The film may gross 200 crores for all I care. And the actors may walk away with several awards. But Raanjhanaa is a pretty nasty film only because it tries to make a martyr out of a selfish, immature, violent and unstable man who thinks nothing of destroying the peace of mind of an innocent victim who doesn't love him. The 'solutions' offered are to slash your wrists when things don't work out. Well, at the end of this wretched experience, I sure as hell was ready to slash mine.

-FreeLancer- IF-Stunnerz
-FreeLancer-
-FreeLancer-

Posted: 05 July 2013 at 12:50am | IP Logged
EOS toh dikha hi nahi...haan spotted a part of the horrid black vest he's wearingLOL

Yeah the SHAH-MD promo is mesmerizing!!

SRK was hilarious when he responded to one guy on the success of film's music - nihayati bura lag raha haiLOLLOL

++++++++++++
Ermm Shobhaa De is ridiculously confused and nasty herself!!  Anyway there is war of words going on between Anand L Rai and her...he gave an interview where he said that everybody took Kundan home except for one columnist

Again it was not Kundan's fault entirely...if Zoya knew that he loved her to the extent of slashing his wrist, y did she go to him for help to break her erstwhile rishta and jodo her new rishta with Abhay - clearly she used him coz she knew he would do anything for her

N in the end she subjected him to death <<sorry for the spoilers for those hu havent watched it yet and are intending to>> to expose the CM and only felt bad coz she came to know that he already knew what she wanted for him
LeadNitrate IF-Sizzlerz
LeadNitrate
LeadNitrate

Posted: 05 July 2013 at 1:25am | IP Logged
how come the thread does not come to my last 10 topic list? found it by stalking sheena's profile.

Shobhaa De hates Sonam with a passion, cause Sonam called her out on her double standards and gave her back good. No wonder she disliked her movie.

Appy: south Indian movies have a lot cliched movies too, but yeah their indie movies are very strong. I follow the indie movies of south, they are really good.
But they do not have the money and patience required for lobbying, hence  rarely the movies are sent to oscars. 

Edited by LeadNitrate - 05 July 2013 at 1:25am

-FreeLancer-

-FreeLancer- IF-Stunnerz
-FreeLancer-
-FreeLancer-

Posted: 05 July 2013 at 1:31am | IP Logged
Who does she not hate...she hates DPad <<she described her someone with bulging eyesDead and raised a question on how can she be termed hot or something??!!>>, SK, Alia Bhatt...list is endless...

One particular article of hers on Gandhi has me fuelling with rageAngry

Go to top