Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nidsubh007 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by: vandana.sagar

In the small village of Ramgarh, the retired policeman Thakur Baldev Singh (Sanjeev Kumar) summons to a pair of small-time thieves he had once arrested. Thakur feels that the duo'Veeru (Dharmendra) and Jai (Amitabh Bachchan)'are ideal to help him capture Gabbar Singh (Amjad Khan), a dacoit wanted by the authorities for a INR50,000[a] reward. Thakur tells them to surrender Gabbar to him, alive, for an additional INR20,000 reward.

The two thieves thwart the dacoits sent by Gabbar to extort the villagers. Soon afterwards, Gabbar and his goons attack Ramgarh during the festival of Holi, and in a tough battle, Veeru and Jai are cornered. Thakur, although he has a gun within his reach, does not help them. Veeru and Jai fight back and Gabbar flees. The two are, however, upset at Thakur's inaction, and consider leaving the village. Thakur explains that Gabbar had killed nearly all of his family members, and cut off both his arms a few years earlier; hence why he could not use the gun. He had concealed the dismemberment by always wearing a shawl.

Living in Ramgarh, the cynical Jai and lively Veeru find themselves growing fond of the villagers. Veeru is attracted to Basanti (Hema Malini), a feisty, talkative young woman who makes her living by driving a horse-cart. Jai is drawn to Radha (Jaya Bhaduri), Thakur's reclusive, widowed daughter-in-law, who secretly returns his affections.

Skirmishes between Gabbar's gang and Jai-Veeru finally result in the capture of Veeru and Basanti by the dacoits. Jai attacks the gang, and the three are able to flee Gabbar's hideout with dacoits in pursuit. Fighting from behind a rock, Jai and Veeru nearly run out of ammunition. Veeru, unaware that Jai was wounded in the gunfight, is forced to leave for more ammunition. Meanwhile, Jai, who is continuing the gunfight singlehandedly, decides to sacrifice himself by using his last bullet to ignite dynamite sticks on a bridge from close range.

Veeru returns, and Jai dies in his arms. Enraged, Veeru attacks Gabbar's den and catches the dacoit. Veeru nearly beats Gabbar to death when Thakur appears and reminds Veeru of the promise to hand over Gabbar alive. Thakur uses his spike-soled shoes to severely injure Gabbar and destroys his hands. The police then arrive and arrest Gabbar. After Jai's funeral, Veeru leaves Ramgarh and finds Basanti waiting for him on the train. Radha is left alone again.

Cast[edit]

• Dharmendra as Veeru
  • Amitabh Bachchan as Jai (Jai Dev)
  • Sanjeev Kumar as Thakur Baldev Singh, usually addressed as "Thakur"
  • Hema Malini as Basanti
  • Jaya Bhaduri as Radha
  • Amjad Khan as Gabbar Singh
  • Satyen Kappu as Ramlaal, the servant of Thakur
  • A.K. Hangal as Rahim Chacha, the imam in the village
  • Sachin as Ahmed, son of the imam
  • Jagdeep as Soorma Bhopali, a comical wood trader
  • Leela Mishra as Mausi, Basanti's maternal aunt
  • Asrani as the Jailor, a comical character modelled after Charlie Chaplin in The Great Dictator[3]
  • Keshto Mukherjee as Hariram, prison barber and Jailor's side-kick
  • Mac Mohan as Sambha, Gabbar Singh's sidekick
  • Viju Khote as Kaalia, another of Gabbar's men whom he kills in a game of Russian roulette
  • Iftekhar as Inspector Khurana, Radha's Father
  • Helen in a special appearance in song "Mehbooba Mehbooba"
  • Jalal Agha in a special appearance in song "Mehbooba Mehbooba"

Production[edit]

🀣
AquaSandhya thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
Originally posted by: Nidsubh007

Hai Devi Maiya! YES!!!!  πŸ₯³

Yeah baby party time πŸ₯³πŸ˜Ž
Nidsubh007 thumbnail
Originally posted by: AquaSandhya

yeh kya Sami? kabab mein haddi?🀣

Veeru is only mine!
SuperstarSanaya thumbnail
Hey V.. have a great day ahead..

And yea..only I noticed ur Handbag in THT... ;)

Geets.. busy at work n then comments updating.

And Hi Dish.. Sami.. Sandy . Jenny
pixiegirl thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: IPK007

Hey Vee, Maddy and Disha..

Vanadna's synopsis is perfect ...if you want a shorter version...here's what I remember of it..πŸ˜‰

Sam

Gabbar Singh is a big shot dacoit in the notorious chambal valley, who pretty much wiped off the whole family of a brave police officer (Thakur) as he was brave enuf to challenge him. Thakur hires two brave small time criminals (Jai and Veeru..AB and Dharmendra) to catch Gabbar alive so he can have the pleasure of killing him. 

Romance...Veeru's with a cute andgarrulous local horse cart driver Hema...funny..

Jai's with Thakur's widowed daughter in law...sweet, intense and poignant...

It's like desi western...😊

Awesome job Jenny πŸ‘ πŸ‘

There you go Sami, perfect Cliff Notes version of Sholay, couldn't have said it better myself...
ssyahoo thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Thank you Jenny :) Sounds like a fun movie indeed..

Sandy .. Jai and Veeru love all friends
AquaSandhya thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
Originally posted by: SuperstarSanaya

Hey V.. have a great day ahead..

And yea..only I noticed ur Handbag in THT... ;)

Geets.. busy at work n then comments updating.

And Hi Dish.. Sami.. Sandy . Jenny

and Maddy, when I guessed you are a fashionista, you were in denialπŸ˜†
Nidsubh007 thumbnail
D how are you? I feel like we never talk anymore.
_disha_ thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Yeah baby party time πŸ₯³πŸ˜Ž

Nidsubh007 thumbnail

and Maddy, when I guessed you are a fashionista, you were in denialπŸ˜†

I totally added the LV scene because of V's handbag obsession and Madhu picked it up.