India-Forums

Sports/Cricket
Sports/Cricket

1983 Cricket World Cup - Any memories?

Ms.S.K. IF-Addictz
Ms.S.K.
Ms.S.K.

Posted: 25 June 2013 at 2:43am | IP Logged
30 years to date India won 1983 ICC Cricket World Cup.  (25th June 1983)

Let us go down memory lane and share them.  

I live in UK and remember how all the indians in UK were out celebrating.   streets of Southall, Leicester, Birmingham etc were full of cheerful people waving indian flags, whistling loudly, the indian sweet shops owners were bringing out mithais after mithais for fans to eat.   

in fact all main roads where the indian shops are, they were closed and police were standing few feet apart for security reasons actually were smiling watching the cars go by with windows down with indian flag, hooting and radio playing indian songs.

there was so much harmony amongst all nationalities when this celebration was going on.

I still remember that day of 30 years ago.

Edited by Ms.S.K. - 25 June 2013 at 2:44am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

LivingInPajamas-Dhoop-snowflake.

LivingInPajamas IF-Rockerz
LivingInPajamas
LivingInPajamas

Posted: 29 June 2013 at 1:24am | IP Logged
I wasn't even born when India won the world cup for the first time LOL But my parents do remember that day very well. My Father came back home from college hostel so that he could watch the match on tv. When he reached, he realised that everyone in the house had gone somewhere[out of town maybe] and there was a lock hanging on the door. Desperate times call for desperate measures, he somehow broke the lock and got into the house and managed to watch the entire match :D

As for my mother, she was in Delhi at that time and lived in a small flat along with one of my aunts and uncle. They had this old worn out television which would work only after a whole lot of banging LOL People in the neighbourhood who didn't have a television, came to their house and had a hell of time watching the glorious moments together :)

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Ms.S.K.

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top