Jodha Akbar

Ruqaiya and Jodha - Page 3

Incense thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

It was very informative dear.. thanks for sharing.. BTW where did you get so much info about Akbar's marital life?? I would like to know more ðŸ˜Š
[/QUOTE]

thnks 🤗he was my research topic in high school.😊...besides i started taking interest in indian history  as some of my fav actors including rajat played historical and mythological characters  :D😆...u may read "Akbar the Great Moghul" by vincent smith😊..."Royal Moghul ladies by Soma mukherjee😊..."the Mughal Harem" by kishori lal... Twenteith wife by Indu Sundareson😳 apart from it the documentary movies on Akbar are really informative...😳

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Incense thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Thanks for the info dear...maybe Ekta maiya will play on Ruqaiya and Jodha's bitter sweet relationship...
[/QUOTE]

yup she will ðŸ˜† 
A.K.R thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: radt

Ohh! But i thought Akbar's eldest son was with Jodha... Jahangir.
That would mean Ruqqaiya and Akbar's son would be his first! This is confusing. 

maybe she'll have a baby girl.
We know that jahangir will be the  next king but are u sure he was the eldest?
Autumn_Rose thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
As far as I know.. Jodha was the one who gave him a heir.. I predict some serious trouble between them..

I also predict that Jodha will fix Akbar's relationship with his mom
Annarichard thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: A.K.R

<font color="#0099ff" face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="4">maybe she'll have a baby girl.</font>
<font color="#0099ff" face="Comic Sans MS, Times, serif" size="4">We know that jahangir will be the next king but are u sure he was the eldest?</font>

yes jehangir was the eldest son of akbar :)
Autumn_Rose thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Found something interesting.. thought I'd share.

The myth of Jodha Bai as Jahangir's mother

Having grown up in the 60's  Mughle Azam was a must see- once a year movie for us.

As children we were fascinated by Akbar Jodha Bai's story, not to forget Prithviraj Kapoor's royal demeanour and booming voice and Durga Khote's simplicity, dignity and dimples in the film. Years later their love story was further immortalised by Hrithik Roshan and Aishwarya Rai in Jodha Akbar.

According to popular legend, Akbar married the sister of Raja Man Singh of Amber, named Jodha Bai. Though she was reluctant at first, she later grew to love him and bore him a son through the blessings of Shaikh Salim Chisti, whom they named Salim after him. Salim later went on to ascend the Mughal throne after Akbar under the title Jahangir.

It's a story which lends itself to imagination. The reality, however, is far more obscure.

In his memoirs, The Tuzuknama or Jahangirnama, Jahangir never once mentions the name of his mother even though he gives the names of many of his own and his father's wives.

This is the only reference to her in his memoirs:

"When my mother came near the time of her delivery, he (Akbar) sent her to the Shaikh's house that I might be born there." (Page 2: Jahangirnama: http://persian.packhum.org/persian/main?url=pf%3Ffile%3D11001080%26ct%3D0

http://www.scribd.com/doc/45153562/Tuzuk-e-Jahangiri-Jahangir-Nama-or-Memoirs-of-Jahangir-english

Another of the myths is that Jodha Bai was the sister of Man Singh, but this is dispelled in this paragraph where Jahangir is describing his dispensations after becoming Emperor:

"I made Raja Man Singh' who was one of the greatest and most trusted noble men of my father, and had obtained alliances with this illustrious family, inasmuch as his aunt had been in my father's house (i.e. was his wife), and I had married his sister, and Khusrau and his sister Sultanu-n-nisa Begam, the latter of whom is my eldest child, were born of her'as before, ruler of the province of Bengal." Page 28Jahangirnama: http://www.scribd.com/doc/45153562/Tuzuk-e-Jahangiri-Jahangir-Nama-or-Memoirs-of-Jahangir-english

He refers to Man Singh's aunt as his father's wife not as his mother as is written in Wikipedia

"Mariam uz-Zamani Begum Sahiba (other names: Rukmavati Sahiba, Rajkumari Hira Kunwari and Harkha Bai) was a Rajput princess who became the Mughal Empress after her marriage to Mughal Emperor Akbar. She was the eldest daughter of Kachwaha Rajput, Raja Bharmal of Amber, the older name of the Rajput State of Jaipur ."

"She was also the mother of emperor Jahangir, her husband's heir."

"Hira Kunwari, Akbar's first Rajput wife, was the eldest daughter of Raja Bhar Mal of Amber. She was also the sister of Bhagwandas and the aunt of Man Singh I of Amber." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodha_Bai)

Even the writer duo of Alex-Rutherford in their book Ruler of the World in their popular historical fiction quintet of Empire of the Moghul, refer to jahangir's mother as Hira Bai of Amber and he describes her relationship with Akbar as one of disdain and resentment for his treatment of Rajput kingdoms.

Jahangir details the birth of two of his brothers and one sister, not naming the mothers but referring to them as concubines. Clearly he didn't feel that their status as concubines and not wives did not merit naming them.

"Three months after my birth, my sister, Shahzada Khanam, was born to one of the royal concubines; they gave her over to his (Akbar's) mother, Maryam Makani. After her a son was born to one of the concubines, and received the name of Shah Murad. On the night of Jumada-l-awwal 10th, A.H. 979 (September, 1572), another son was born to one of the concubines. As his birth took place at Ajmir in the house of one of the attendants of the blessed shrine of the reverend Khwaja Mu'inu-d-din Chishti, whose name was Shaikh Daniyal, this child was called Daniyal."

In the case of these two daughters of Akbar he names the wife as Bibi Daulat-Shad and she must have been of noble lineage.

"After the birth of Daniyal a daughter was born to Bibi Daulat-Shad whom they named Shakaru-n-nisa Begam."

"After some time another girl was born to this same Bibi Daulat-Shad, and he (Akbar) called her Aram Banu Begam." Page 45 Jahangirnama: (http://www.scribd.com/doc/45153562/Tuzuk-e-Jahangiri-Jahangir-Nama-or-Memoirs-of-Jahangir-english)

Prof Shirin Moosvi, historian of Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), says there is no mention of Jodhabai in 'Akbarnama', nor in any Mughal documents of the period. "Akbar did marry a princess of the Kachhawa clan, the daughter of Bhar Mal, but her name was not Jodhabai," she said.

Moosvi, who presented a paper on Friday on Akbar at a seminar at the National College in Bandra, said a painting of Jehangir's mother along with his grandmother showed her to be Indian but there was no name given.

According to prof Moosvi the name Jodh Bai first appeared in the 18th and 19th centuries in historical writings. (For more info: http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2005-12-10/mumbai/27860291_1_anarkali-myth-jodhabai-he)

It is indeed a mystery to me why the very candid memoirs of Jahangir do not mention his mother by name. Had Jahangir been born to a daughter of a great Rajput kingdom, surely he would have wanted to boast of the fact considering that the Mughals were trying to forge strategic alliances with the Rajputs.

In college, we used to speculate that maybe she was not of noble birth or status and therefore Jahangir glossed over her name. But then that is only speculation.

Annarichard thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: BreezeStar

<h1><font size="2">Found something interesting.. thought I'd share.</font></h1><h1><font size="2">The myth of Jodha Bai as Jahangir's mother</font></h1>

<font size="2">Having grown up in the 60'sMughle Azamwas a must see- once a year movie for us.</font>

<font size="2">As children we were fascinated by Akbar Jodha Bai's story, not to forget Prithviraj Kapoor's royal demeanour and booming voice and Durga Khote's simplicity, dignity and dimples in the film. Years later their love story was further immortalised by Hrithik Roshan and Aishwarya Rai inJodha Akbar.</font>

<font size="2">According to popular legend, Akbar married the sister of Raja Man Singh of Amber, named Jodha Bai. Though she was reluctant at first, she later grew to love him and bore him a son through the blessings of Shaikh Salim Chisti, whom they named Salim after him. Salim later went on to ascend the Mughal throne after Akbar under the title Jahangir.</font>

<font size="2">It's a story which lends itself to imagination. The reality, however, is far more obscure.</font>

<font size="2">In his memoirs,The TuzuknamaorJahangirnama, Jahangir never once mentions the name of his mother even though he gives the names of many of his own and his father's wives.</font>

<font size="2">This is the only reference to her in his memoirs:</font>

<font size="2">"When my mother came near the time of her delivery, he (Akbar) sent her to the Shaikh's house that I might be born there." (Page 2:Jahangirnama:http://persian.packhum.org/persian/main?url=pf%3Ffile%3D11001080%26ct%3D0</font>

<font size="2">http://www.scribd.com/doc/45153562/Tuzuk-e-Jahangiri-Jahangir-Nama-or-Memoirs-of-Jahangir-english</font>

<font size="2">Another of the myths is that Jodha Bai was the sister of Man Singh, but this is dispelled in this paragraph where Jahangir is describing his dispensations after becoming Emperor:</font>

<font size="2">"I made Raja Man Singh' who was one of the greatest and most trusted noble men of my father, and had obtained alliances with this illustrious family, inasmuch as his aunt had been in my father's house (i.e. was his wife), and I had married his sister, and Khusrau and his sister Sultanu-n-nisa Begam, the latter of whom is my eldest child, were born of her'as before, ruler of the province of Bengal." Page 28Jahangirnama:http://www.scribd.com/doc/45153562/Tuzuk-e-Jahangiri-Jahangir-Nama-or-Memoirs-of-Jahangir-english</font>

<font size="2">He refers to Man Singh's aunt as his father's wife not as his mother as is written in Wikipedia</font>

<font size="2">"Mariam uz-Zamani Begum Sahiba (other names: Rukmavati Sahiba, Rajkumari Hira Kunwari and Harkha Bai) was a Rajput princess who became the Mughal Empress after her marriage to Mughal Emperor Akbar. She was the eldest daughter of Kachwaha Rajput, Raja Bharmal of Amber, the older name of the Rajput State of Jaipur ."</font>

<font size="2">"She was also the mother of emperor Jahangir, her husband's heir."</font>

<font size="2">"Hira Kunwari, Akbar's first Rajput wife, was the eldest daughter of Raja Bhar Mal of Amber. She was also the sister of Bhagwandas and the aunt of Man Singh I of Amber." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodha_Bai)</font>

<font size="2">Even the writer duo of Alex-Rutherford in their bookRuler of the Worldin their popular historical fiction quintet ofEmpire of the Moghul, refer to jahangir's mother as Hira Bai of Amber and he describes her relationship with Akbar as one of disdain and resentment for his treatment of Rajput kingdoms.</font>

<font size="2">Jahangir details the birth of two of his brothers and one sister, not naming the mothers but referring to them as concubines. Clearly he didn't feel that their status as concubines and not wives did not merit naming them.</font>

<font size="2">"Three months after my birth, my sister, Shahzada Khanam, was born to one of the royal concubines; they gave her over to his (Akbar's) mother, Maryam Makani. After her a son was born to one of the concubines, and received the name of Shah Murad. On the night of Jumada-l-awwal 10th, A.H. 979 (September, 1572), another son was born to one of the concubines. As his birth took place at Ajmir in the house of one of the attendants of the blessed shrine of the reverend Khwaja Mu'inu-d-din Chishti, whose name was Shaikh Daniyal, this child was called Daniyal."</font>

<font size="2">In the case of these two daughters of Akbar he names the wife as Bibi Daulat-Shad and she must have been of noble lineage.</font>

<font size="2">"After the birth of Daniyal a daughter was born to Bibi Daulat-Shad whom they named Shakaru-n-nisa Begam."</font>

<font size="2">"After some time another girl was born to this same Bibi Daulat-Shad, and he (Akbar) called her Aram Banu Begam." Page 45Jahangirnama: (http://www.scribd.com/doc/45153562/Tuzuk-e-Jahangiri-Jahangir-Nama-or-Memoirs-of-Jahangir-english)</font>

<font size="2">Prof Shirin Moosvi, historian of Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), says there is no mention of Jodhabai in 'Akbarnama', nor in any Mughal documents of the period. "Akbar did marry a princess of the Kachhawa clan, the daughter of Bhar Mal, but her name was not Jodhabai," she said.</font>

<font size="2">Moosvi, who presented a paper on Friday on Akbar at a seminar at the National College in Bandra, said a painting of Jehangir's mother along with his grandmother showed her to be Indian but there was no name given.</font>

<font size="2">According to prof Moosvi the name Jodh Bai first appeared in the 18th and 19th centuries in historical writings. (For more info:http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2005-12-10/mumbai/27860291_1_anarkali-myth-jodhabai-he)</font>

<font size="2">It is indeed a mystery to me why the very candid memoirs of Jahangir do not mention his mother by name. Had Jahangir been born to a daughter of a great Rajput kingdom, surely he would have wanted to boast of the fact considering that the Mughals were trying to forge strategic alliances with the Rajputs.</font>

<font size="2">In college, we used to speculate that maybe she was not of noble birth or status and therefore Jahangir glossed over her name. But then that is only speculation.</font>

<div></div>

Amazing information!! the existance of jodha bai as jehangirs mother was always a controversial topic with many versions of it! everybody had their own story to tell but this information which u have presented really does clear the doubt as to if jehangir ws really the son of jodhabai thn y didnt he mention it in his memoirs! History is confusing and contradicting! However in this serial..its just abt the lovestory of a mughal emperor nd a rajput princess so i think we shudnt even worry abt if she bore akbars son or not cz we shud atleast let thm fall in luv first..sit back and enjoy their lovestory :)